PDA

View Full Version : Staying "Male" is Gonna Cost Me an Extra $500 Per Year!

Persephone
03-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Damn! I can't believe this!

I've been a member of an all-women's gym for the past few years and usually go there about 15-20 times a month, en femme of course.

This year I go on medicare and join an option plan. I learned today that the program has a feature that would pay for a gym membership. But my medicare and insurance are in my guy name and there's no way I can present that ID at my gym!

I could join some gym that has male and female membership, but I hate those places! The equipment feels gargantuan and I feel uncomfortable.

Drat!

Amelia
03-24-2011, 04:27 AM
You could change your name. If anyone asks when you are en homme about the name, just say your parents were hippies! :D

vetobob9
03-24-2011, 05:06 AM
what's difference between all female gyms and other gyms?

linda allen
03-24-2011, 07:54 AM
You are a member of an all woman's gym and they don't know that you're not "all woman"?

My wife and I used to go to a regular gym but got dissatisfied and quit. She found a female only gym and joined. I asked her if I could go if I wore a dress (she doesn't know). She gave me a funny look and said "I don't think so!" :heehee:

kimdl93
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Just spring for the gym membership yourself. You've found a place where you're comfortable and accepted. Why change!

Melissa Jill
03-24-2011, 09:48 AM
All woman gyms are legal? It seems like the kind of thing that would be illeagel. I couldn't imagine the reverse being allowed.

Nisha
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I wonder what you did in the shower. How did you handle that situation in all women gym?

JulieC
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
You could change your name. If anyone asks when you are en homme about the name, just say your parents were hippies! :D

"And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him ... Bill or George! Anything but Sue!" - Johnny Cash, A Boy Named Sue

Just brought up memories. As a young boy, dabbling in crossdressing, this song was on the airwaves.

Persephone
03-24-2011, 01:00 PM

That is a great idea! But I'd have to go for the legal name change on everything including social security, medicare, etc. Still . . . maybe . . .

what's difference between all female gyms and other gyms?

They label themselves as catering to "women only". The equipment is generally sized differently and the workouts are more oriented around toning and shaping, rather than building muscles. The classes are based more on things women like to do.

Some women (perhaps many single women?) like to workout in gyms that include men and women, but other women prefer the privacy of not having men present.

All woman gyms are legal? It seems like the kind of thing that would be illeagel. I couldn't imagine the reverse being allowed.

One guy ran around taking several small women's gyms to court. Based on the Judge's ruling in those court cases, they generally would have to allow a man if he showed up. And they would have to provide showers and lockers.

You are a member of an all woman's gym and they don't know that you're not "all woman"?

Yes.

Just spring for the gym membership yourself. You've found a place where you're comfortable and accepted. Why change!

You are right, of course, Kim, and that's probably what I'll end up doing. But it is annoying to have to.

I wonder what you did in the shower. How did you handle that situation in all women gym?

I've been toured through the shower and dressing rooms, but choose not to use them. I arrive and leave in my exercise clothes and shower at home.

Eryn
03-25-2011, 02:21 AM
I can see the dilemma. You've established your femme identity at the gym and unfortunately I don't see a way outside of changing your name to get your benefits to match.

I take it that there is nobody in the management structure of the gym that can be trusted with the knowledge about you being TG? As a long-standing customer who has presented no problems for them they might be willing to look the other way. I don't know if this would be worth the risk, though.

Chickhe
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
How about... just send the receipt to the insurance company instead?

Eryn
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
How about... just send the receipt to the insurance company instead?

And then the insurance company will say "Why should we pay for [Femme Name]"

Sometimes I envy folks whose names are gender-neutral...

Leslie Langford
03-29-2011, 12:15 AM
And then the insurance company will say "Why should we pay for [Femme Name]"

Sometimes I envy folks whose names are gender-neutral...

I wonder if movie actresses Michael Learned and Glenn Close would agree with that statement. Sure made them stand out from among the crowd, terrific talent notwithstanding...

Eryn
03-29-2011, 01:43 AM
I wonder if movie actresses Michael Learned and Glenn Close would agree with that statement. Sure made them stand out from among the crowd, terrific talent notwithstanding...

Names are yet another category of expression where women enjoy far greater freedom than men. Marion Morrison figured out very early in his career that he wouldn't get far if he continued using his given name.

Of course, the discussion in this thread is not about actors with gender-bending names, it is about being forced by one's name into an unwanted gender role in order to enjoy the benefits one has already earned. A gender-neutral (not gender-bending) name would be a great help in a situation like that.

Leslie Langford
03-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Names are yet another category of expression where women enjoy far greater freedom than men. Marion Morrison figured out very early in his career that he wouldn't get far if he continued using his given name.

Of course, the discussion in this thread is not about actors with gender-bending names, it is about being forced by one's name into an unwanted gender role in order to enjoy the benefits one has already earned. A gender-neutral (not gender-bending) name would be a great help in a situation like that.

I suppose that line of thought would also apply - in a manner of speaking - to the theme behind Johnny Cash's famous song "A Boy Named Sue"...

PortiaHoney
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Ahhh. The problems with living a dual life.................

Diane Smith
03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Not exactly a "boy named Sue," but I have a male friend named Laurie. As far as I know, he doesn't take advantage of the option to dress up ...

- Diane

2SpeedTranny
03-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Aren't you already spending that $500 a year? Haven't heard you kicking about that.

So, you're complaining that the taxpayers won't pick up the tab?

What do you suppose the cost of a $500 gym membership really is once Medicare and health insurance companies tack on their overhead?

Persephone
03-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Aren't you already spending that $500 a year? Haven't heard you kicking about that.

What do you suppose the cost of a $500 gym membership really is once Medicare and health insurance companies tack on their overhead?

We're in complete agreement that taxpayers shouldn't be picking up the tab. But as Supreme Court Justice Learned Hand wrote, "There is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible". The same with this situation. I oppose the use of taxpayer dollars for these sorts of programs, but if the state is going to engage in the practice then I have a right to accept the largess.

It chaps my hide that I'm going to have to continue paying the $500 a year while knowing that if my genders and names were congruent it would be paid for.

Eryn
03-30-2011, 08:10 PM

I would think that Persephone is entitled to the benefits for which she paid while working. She's the taxpayer!