PDA

View Full Version : A new perspective on oneself.

Teri Jean
03-26-2011, 03:26 PM
We all want to "pass" or blend into the fabric of society and when one is 6'-4" as I am there is that realization the best we are going to hope for is acceptance. That was until yesterday and this morning. Yesterday I had the afternoon off and decided to have the car serviced before a 200 mile drive for a spring clothing showing at a friend's home.

As I dropped off the car I ran into a gf who was leaving for lunch and she invited me to go along. Over pasta we got caught up as we don't see each other as often as we would like. During luch she drops the announcement, "Teri you really do look great". Now I said thank you but also said she looks quite attractive also. We do at time get the polite recognition and although we like to hear that there is a sense of realization they were just being polite.

Then later in the day, a hundred miles away I'm at another friend's home and about ten women I have never met has come together for a showing of spring fashions. I had over dressed as part of my stay there was to have some head shots for business cards so I was in a full length navy blue velour sheath dress and heels. Then I realize this isn't just a peek but a sale which requires trying on different items. During this time of different levels of undress and handing off to others there was not an effort to be bashful or discrete by some.

The next day I am answering e-mails and got a call from the hostess asking me about one of the ladies there and why I seemed shocked when she introduced her to me. I had said she reminded me of a girl I knew 45 yrs ago and she caught me off guard. Then Rachael said there was another lady there that asked her who the tall striking woman was that had been there. Now I was the only tall lady there as I stood about 6 inches above the rest. Now this made me feel so great and my eyes filled up as this lady she was talking about was quite striking herself.

We all want to blend in or be accepted and these two moments really drove home the fact we can be our worst critics. Accept yourself and relax, the rest of the world probably don't even realize we have lived another life in another gender.

Kaitlyn Michele
03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
good for you Teri...welcome to your life..it feels like a good thing if you can achieve the level of acceptance you are enjoying.

i'm 6'2" by the way..i practically never wear heels...LOL

Rianna Humble
03-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Rachael said there was another lady there that asked her who the tall striking woman was that had been there. Now I was the only tall lady there as I stood about 6 inches above the rest. Now this made me feel so great and my eyes filled up as this lady she was talking about was quite striking herself.

Congratulations Teri Jean! You are quite right that we can be our worst critics, but perhaps you will now be able to listen to those who tell you that you look good.

vaga505
03-26-2011, 06:39 PM
It is one thing to take on the world as is. To wear panties and a bra with a blouse and dress.... It is a declearation of who I am and represents in me the things I should not be apolagetic or gulity feelings. I am this, I chose this, its just me, I am nothing compared to the universe, what is to anybody?...... I have to have some space in obilivion.

Jessinthesprings
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
the rest of the world probably don't even realize we have lived another life in another gender.

Or they could care less. Never underestimate a human's ability to be self-absorbed. All I can say is we should all shoot for the moon but expect for the stars. That way we are always trying to improve and better ourselves but understand even the best layed plans go aray.

Inna
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes how true, all we want is to be just "normal" yet what you have described goes beyond blending in. You have witnessed acceptance and what's more, intrigue about your beauty, it doesn't get any better. Love babe!

Sejd
03-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Good on you Teri. I totally know how you felt. Thanks God for good experiences.
Kind regards
Sejd

Kelsy
03-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Gawd there is hope after all!!

Thanks Teri

Teri Jean
03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
As I said before we have a lesser view of our presentation but what I found is not to worry about what you cannot change and relax. I have heard this from so many here, the more you worry the more you will be noticed. I have to admit it was a little intimidating at first but quickly it passed and the evening was so wonderful.

When I talked with Rachael the next day the feeling of what others had said came to mind and all I could do is wipe the tears away smiling to myself. I had no real dream of getting to this point but wished for it. Humbling doesn't even cover it. Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. Hugs and love, Teri.

Pattie O
03-28-2011, 02:32 AM
That is terrific,Teri.It sounds like a lotta fun to be trying different fashions at a meeting with GGs .Well done!:daydreaming::battingeyelashes::daydreaming:

amielts
03-29-2011, 02:09 AM
We all want to blend in or be accepted and these two moments really drove home the fact we can be our worst critics. Accept yourself and relax, the rest of the world probably don't even realize we have lived another life in another gender.

I agree that we are often our worst critics.

kimdl93
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Teri, that's so incredible. First off, it must have been fun to be so completely accepted as one of the girls. Second thought - I'm a shade over 6'2" and always sort of assumed that my height would preclude blending in. But I should know better. I have serveral neices over 6' tall, including one who can very nearly look me in the eye. So, your experience just confirms that we always judge ourselves more critically than others!

Vivian Best
04-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm about 6'3" and have always been afraid that my height would draw undue attention to me. All my life I've allowed that fear to control what I do out in public. Hopefully all you girls experiences will give me courage to be who I feel I am.

Teri Jean
04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Vivian, I was at work yesterday and this gal came over and stood next to mewhile I was talking to the vollyball coach and she looked directly into my eyes. Her hieght is 6-4 bare footed. As we stood there she just smiled and gave me that GF hug. The one where you just wrap an arm around the other and a slight squeeze. We laughed and I said I will never consider my hieght and issue. BTW my area of work is the athletic and student recreation departments for our university.

Charlena
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
That is so cool Teri, and I am so happy for you. Peace

Bree-asaurus
04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm 6'3" or 6'4" or something like that. The other day at a party, a friend of a friend was asking if I played in the WNBA. She wasn't asking if I was pre-op or post :P

Paula_56
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Once when trying on wigs, I asked the the SA if she had any other men who came in.

Other? was her puzzled response. She really didn't know I was a man> even with my wig off?

I swear she was sincere, She was surprised as could be when I had to insist I was male

"You have everything a women has" was her reply

so sometimes we are our own biggest critic