PDA

View Full Version : Step back and take a deep breath…

Frédérique
03-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Lately I’ve been writing things, but not submitting them. You’re welcome…:heehee:

Whenever something around here gets under my skin, like a thread that begs for an impassioned response, I turn off my laptop and walk away, telling myself there are better things to do with my time. My mind keeps working on a hypothetical response, of course, and sometimes I spurt out some text, look at it, tweak it for maximum effect, save it, then walk away again. Today I was going to write another blurb of unseen prose, and this time I really wanted to submit it – I was weighing the consequences, wondering if I really wanted to engage in give-and-take on the subject, with people who certainly would not agree with me. I was cautious; biding my time, hoping the brainstorm would pass. I did my writing, went to the next step (submission, such a lovely word), and the thread was closed. Hallelujah!
:whew!:

Nothing gets me more hot and bothered like some left-field, generalized, uninformed take on MtF crossdressing by people who should know better, but things like that come along from time to time. I spend a lot of time wondering how something like that can be supportive, and, since threads in the MtF section are visible to “guests,” I wonder how many potential members get scared away by the endless hair-splitting discussions about the terms, attitudes, and perceptions of crossdressing. Either the subject itself is non-understandable, or inexplicable, or everyone is maintaining this unfortunate condition by clouding the already murky waters of potential insight simply by being stubborn. Once I’m inspired to write, is it any wonder that I hold back? After all, I’m here to perpetuate understanding, not the opposite…

Anyway, there are times when it pays to say nothing, or, in my case, write nothing. Who am I, anyway? Who do I THINK I am? All I can talk about is MtF crossdressing, since I happen to be one of those blessed creatures. I’ve been crossdressing a long time; in fact I’m beyond the need for understanding, preferring to offer support where it’s needed. It is inherently counter-productive to get worked up over some subject that cannot be adequately grasped by my peers, or myself, so I abstain. What bothers me is a certain atmosphere of stubbornness, or being talked down-to, by less qualified individuals. The latter apparently don’t want discussion on a particular subject, so an emotional rant is substituted for a meaningful exchange of ideas, contrary to the common good…

There’s no sense relating what I was gong to respond to, or why, since the point of contention has been cordoned off for safety reasons. I’m glad, since I can now remain quiet and preserve the outer shell of my existence here. I’m still grumbling, though, internally, which may explain the need to write this lengthy post! This happened three times in the past week - a thread I was going to respond to was closed, and, quite frankly, I could see it coming. On one hand I would like to see free discussion of all subjects, but on the other hand I know that such an eventuality would be very, very time consuming for all concerned. Better to say nothing, I suppose, but who is the wiser? I find it mildly amusing that certain members here consistently avoid discussions about controversial subjects. Whether they are tempted to or not remains to be seen, but I would like to count myself as one of them, steering clear of individuals who are easily angered about some trifle…

I think we MtF crossdressers are a highly misunderstood lot, and that is an ongoing, unfortunate situation. By rubbing up against other groups in our own community, or mindsets that are unsympathetic to whatever cause or lifestyle we adhere to, we create friction that produces plenty of heat, but very little light. Speaking of light, I thought I would bring this subject, initiated in private, out into the open. Can we please have uniform support for ALL types of crossdressing? Thank you…

PS – It just happened again! I wrote an impassioned response to a provocative thread, then thought better of it and canned it for future reference. You’re welcome…:clap:

Nigella
03-26-2011, 05:48 PM
If more members thought about what they were posting, took the time to read what they had written prior to putting it on the forum, took the time to just allow others to have their say, without ramming their views time and time again, then contraversial threads would stay open. It is when a thread becomes a flame war between a few members, to the exclusion of the remainder of the respondees, then the purpose of the thread becomes lost in the battle of wills, that is the point when the staff say enough is enough and close the thread.

What you consider to be a provocative thread, to some is a thought provoking thread, to others a waste of time and to others just not their cup of tea. Very few thread subjects are not permitted on this forum and that allows frank and open discussion if members would just keep their comments to generalisations and not force their point of view.

Jamie Parks
03-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Now this is the best thread I have read in quite some time!!!

2SpeedTranny
03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
After all, I’m here to perpetuate understanding, not the opposite…

You know... for quite a while, I thought you were here to perpetuate obfuscation... but some of your recent posts have changed my perception. I cannot at this time recall the exact post that made me see you in a different light, but nevertheless... it was one that took you from pedantic rodomontade to semi-opaque genius. :)

Very few thread subjects are not permitted on this forum and that allows frank and open discussion if members would just keep their comments to generalisations and not force their point of view.

Sounds like someone has completely missed the point of internet forums! :D

hazel35
03-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Lately I've been writing things, but not submitting them.

I think that the phenomen you are talking about is not limited to crossdressers.com. On every forum that I have read for any time you begin to see how people think and how they react to different subjects. Remove crossdressing as your topic and substitute politics and it remains just as true. Hell, substitute restaurant reviews and it remains true. You have to be perpared for all types of responses on all types of issues. I have been caught up in forum discussions until I realized i wasn't going to change eithe the reality or other peoples' minds. C'est le internet.

Chickhe
03-27-2011, 01:54 AM
The way I see it, if you say something, then someone else has the ability to respond. If you need to say something to vent, but don't want the responsibily of saying it politely and are not open to responses then write it and don't hit 'send'. Perfectly reasonable thing to do... I use the same rule at work...if I have a strong emotional reaction to an email, I don't hit send until the next morning after I've had some time to thing about it... most often what I was feeling, blinds me and I miss something and end up not sending that version of the email.

LilSissyStevie
03-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Heck, half the fun, when one of "those" threads are begun, is trying guess how many responses will get posted before the thread is closed. :heehee:
Let's try to not take ourselves too seriously.:love:

TinaMc
03-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Lately I've been writing things, but not submitting them.

I think that the phenomen you are talking about is not limited to crossdressers.com. On every forum that I have read for any time you begin to see how people think and how they react to different subjects. Remove crossdressing as your topic and substitute politics and it remains just as true. Hell, substitute restaurant reviews and it remains true. You have to be perpared for all types of responses on all types of issues. I have been caught up in forum discussions until I realized i wasn't going to change eithe the reality or other peoples' minds. C'est le internet.

hazel is quite right, internet forum discussions all tend to go the same way. You end up passionately arguing for a point you don't even really care that much about due to defensiveness or whatever. And eventually someone will accuse the other person of being a Nazi, cf Godwin's law.

I have pretty much banned myself from internet debates, they used to really suck me in...

PretzelGirl
03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Some of it comes down to how much you want to frustrate yourself. I have said for a long time that I have never seen anyone online change another's opinion when it comes to politics. Yet it is one of the most debated topics. Many other subjects follow in the same light. So as Frederique does, it is sometimes better to not send the message as it can just be aggravating.

danam
03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm still smarting from getting chewed up in a debate here about two years ago...barely been back since. I'm back now because I have some genuine issues to deal with, and this site is helpful for that. But I suggest finding other avenues for intellectual debates about CDing, because you'll just get chewed up and spit out if you do that around here.

Kayla Shadows
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
lol @ "you're welcome"

Iv'e tried to learn to just leave things alone.We all dont think a like and thats fine.I agree to disagree.Whether its the great pants debate,labels or whatever,I just want to do my own thing.Whoever wrote the TG rule book can hang onto it for me.Probably wont be needing it any time soon.There are too many bigger things to worry about than somebodys opinion.All of it hurts my head anyway.Everywhere on the net there is arguing..Everywhere..and it gets tiring.I dont venture into chats as much either.Sometimes all I have to do is say hi for somebody I dont even know to have a problem with me.Its cute.
There are some great girls and guys out there though :) :rose2: :<3:

:cm2:

Sarah Doepner
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Freddy, thanks for getting over your case of submittus interruptus and hitting the "post reply" button.

It could be that none of us has the "truth" of the matter and regardless of how solid our logic is, the facts we use are so different from everyone else's and there is no way to come to a shared vision. We all have an answer or two, but it's hard to convince me that anyone has "The Answer". I guess I'm just stubborn. It could be there are flaws in or just no application of logic in the arguments, and unless we are willing to accept we really don't know what we are saying, the discussion is going to go downhill pretty darn quickly.

Part of the frustration comes from an attempt to apply an intellectual analysis to an emotional discussion. I've finally learned after 36 years of marriage that logic and rational arguments are only fuel to that particular fire. In some of the discussions, I don't know if it's stubbornness based in thought or resistance just because it feels right to protect what has been already said. Often after the various hormones have been flushed from their systems participants can regroup and redefine their positions, but at times the best thing to do is put your hands up lady and back slowly away from the keyboard.

Or there is always the option when you recognize it is no longer a debate and either a very blunt or flippant response is needed to stir up the hornets nest for nothing more than the sheer entertainment value. However, this could very well become a 'tarbaby' from which you never can escape, so have an exit strategy if you take this approach.

Lucy_Bella
03-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Very few thread subjects are not permitted on this forum and that allows frank and open discussion if members would just keep their comments to generalisations and not force their point of view.

This really takes the open discussion of all areas of Cross dressing out ..

Frederique,
Very well said as I also feel that a certain spectrume in the MTF is falling on deaf ears with no balance .

Kathi Lake
03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Gee, I was going to post a reply, but, . . .

:)

Kathi

Engendered
03-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm amazed at how often this happens, and it seems specific to this forum (for me). Perhaps it's because the subject matter is something very close to my heart, but I've never practiced so much restraint and tongue-biting as I do here, and I'm generally such a pleasant person. :)

So far so good. (I've caught up on the 2? topics related to this one)

Kathryn Philips
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Can we please have uniform support for ALL types of crossdressing?

Yes, the spectrum is wide...

- We dress for many different reasons
- Frecuency and extent of our dressing varies
- We have different degrees of "outedness/closetedness"
- We suffer or enjoy different levels of support from our loved ones
- We have come to terms with our particular situation to greater or lesser extent

...lets celebrate all these differences and offer support those who seek our help/advice

Alice Torn
03-27-2011, 08:07 PM
It shows that we on this site, though misunderstood, so very much, by "normal" society, are not so "different", in that we , like all have strong opinions, can be headstrong, and play God, like everyone else. Very well said Freddy. Nickers in a twist!

Frédérique
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
…it was one that took you from pedantic rodomontade to semi-opaque genius.

It’s OK to see me as a completely opaque person; in fact I foster that image daily! I can see how some may visualize me as a pedantic personage, but that may be because I go over what I write several times before I submit anything. I CAN be fussy about things, but it’s not for show, I assure you - my sister has the same fastidious nature. As for being a rodomontade*, the only thing I can boast about is my artwork, and I don’t – I am a “quiet girl,” after all…

*I had to look that one up! :doh:

Heck, half the fun, when one of "those" threads are begun, is trying guess how many responses will get posted before the thread is closed.

Yes, I’ve done that, in fact I sometimes get ready to warn members of that eventuality (via a PM), then think about slipping in a pithy response before it's too late, only to see a controversial thread closed. When it is shut down, I feel a sense of relief – I have a lot of un-submitted words that I sat on, and on, and on, until the original thread reached page three or beyond, making any response on my part an exercise in futility. Why beat a dead horse, or throw gasoline on the fire, or anger people you care about? Walking away is easy, effective, and efficient…
:battingeyelashes:

I have pretty much banned myself from internet debates, they used to really suck me in...

I was on a UK crossdressing site years ago, and they allowed political discussion way beyond what I’ve seen here – HUGE threads, all flame wars, usually pitting UK political sentiments against the few Americans on the site. It was enjoyable to interject some historical epithets into the proceedings and try to enlighten anyone who was overly critical of the U.S., but one day ALL of the political discussion was terminated – I lost about 25% of my posts! One of the Mods on that site neatly summed it up by saying, “We have to READ all of this crap, you know!” When I came here I made a conscious effort to discuss MtF crossdressing and avoid any heated discussions, regardless of the topic…
:straightface: