PDA

View Full Version : Mammograms and Transgenderism

PortiaHoney
03-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I turned 50 a couple of months ago. I have been living full time as a female for nearly a year now. I have been on Spiro for just over a year and HRT for 9 months.

What is the reason for this information? I received an invitation today for a free mammogram because I am 50 and classified as a woman now. This is part of a screening service available to "my" sector of the community.

My first reaction to this letter was "wow, I am officially recognised as real woman". My second was "ouch, those tests hurt" from all the feedback I have had from GG's in my life.
My third was " do I really need this done"?

My breasts are still in the growth stage and probably sufficient to actually be able to have a mammogram done. I have heard that because of HRT, we are in a high risk category.

So, should I or shouldn't I? I look forward to any feedback.

sandra-leigh
03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
The Informed Consent form that I signed last week made it clear that if breast grown occurred, then breast self-examination and mammograms will become a part of my life.

You are experiencing relatively rapid growth of flesh. If the right conditions are lurking inside you, then that might have triggered rapid growth of tumors.

If you don't get one this year, then next.

My (non-professional) understanding is that the incidence rate is lower in MTF, but that it is still a distinct concern. If you are in a higher risk category (e.g., you have relatives who had breast cancer) then you should probably be on the more-frequent schedule.

There is a bunch of arguments about how often mammograms should be done for those who are not in the higher-risk categories; some say 1 year, some say 4 years. I am not familiar with the arguments for any particular frequency.

Stephenie S
03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Listen guys. According to my endocrinologist the incidence of breast cancer in TGs is NOT lower. It's just that there are no studies done on this population. It MAY be lower, it may be higher, it may be the same. We only have anecdotal evidence and opinion to answer this question.

Breast cancer is a concern even for males NOT on estrogen. Certainly you should be examining your breasts regularly and if i were you I would get a mammogram.

In the interests of honesty, that's a little like the kettle calling the pot black. I haven't yet gotten MY first mammogram. Shame on me.

Stephie

Michelle.M
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Breast cancer is a concern even for males NOT on estrogen. Certainly you should be examining your breasts regularly and if i were you I would get a mammogram.

Right. And free, even? This sounds like a win-win all around. Check your breast health, do something that any woman would do, get some peace of mind and maybe contribute to the database as well. Go for it.

CharleneT
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Listen guys. According to my endocrinologist the incidence of breast cancer in TGs is NOT lower. It's just that there are no studies done on this population. It MAY be lower, it may be higher, it may be the same. We only have anecdotal evidence and opinion to answer this question.

In the interests of honesty, that's a little like the kettle calling the pot black. I haven't yet gotten MY first mammogram. Shame on me.

Stephie

He/she should have said "few studies...". There are some out there, but not nearly enough to make much of a conclusion - which is SAD!! Here is one example:

http://www.eje.org/cgi/content/full/159/3/197

One of the studies referenced was of 2200 TS patients. But due to the number of variables, generalizations can't be made from the data.

sandra-leigh
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
My recollection was 1 in 1500 patients in a study in Holland; the wording of the study Charlene linked to does not immediately appear familiar but the location does (and I saw recently that all of Holland is handled through a single location.) Either I am misremembering "1500" or this is an update with more patients.

shesadvl
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
I turned 50 a couple of months ago. I have been living full time as a female for nearly a year now. I have been on Spiro for just over a year and HRT for 9 months.

What is the reason for this information? I received an invitation today for a free mammogram because I am 50 and classified as a woman now. This is part of a screening service available to "my" sector of the community.

My first reaction to this letter was "wow, I am officially recognised as real woman". My second was "ouch, those tests hurt" from all the feedback I have had from GG's in my life.

My breasts are still in the growth stage and probably sufficient to actually be able to have a mammogram done. I have heard that because of HRT, we are in a high risk category.

Portia I am 61 I have a mammogram every 2 years,

In your case I think you need to ask or speak to those that sent you that information to find out where you stand, the people that do mammographys are very helpful
and informative, ....especially if you are in growth stage,...
they will also let you know if you are required at this stage to go through this...hell yeh its painful... I hate them,...
but wouldnt be without them,... because,... through being someone that was asked to do or be a guinea pig to make mamograms easier for women,
they wouldnt of found the milk duct that was so enlarged it couldve gone either way....so I am one lucky woman a 10 minute op under local anaesthetic
fixed. ( I was in my mid to 40's) at the time.

If you dont want to ask them contact your Doc.

EDIT: After re reading the thread stephanieS's comment is .... yes men do get breast cancer, I have posted somewhere in this forum a while ago about this subject, so its just important as well, to self check.....

:battingeyelashes:

Jorja
03-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Even if you were to remain all male with no breast growth, you should do the self examination and have a mammogram done. Yes, men do get breast cancer. One of my best friends died from undetected breast cancer 2 days after he retired.

PortiaHoney
03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

After I saw the funny side of the letter (it wasn't something I had given a lot of thought to and the affirmation felt good), I got to thinking and the seriousness of it set in. I have already had the "pleasure" of having a suspicious growht removed from one of them (suspected skin cancer). I will be making the call today.

Here goes - ouchy.

shesadvl
03-30-2011, 06:09 AM
good for you and good luck....:battingeyelashes:

noeleena
03-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi .

As A warning .

While some trans people dont think its of any concern for them to have a mammo then they should wise up.
After youv been on H R T say 2 years get your mamo done even a , b cup ,if you think youll have S R S & or B A make sure you have it done just before your surgery for B A As after youll not be able to have the normal mamo because you can not & hence the warning , you can not have the press put full pressure put on your breasts because of ruptureing your implants & youll have to have them removed due to poison getting in to your body & there are many accounts of this being so..not just this way just be carefull .

when you are called up tell them youv got implarnts because theyll take longer to xray..
Iv had mine done before & after B A & ill have it every two years im due now tho im not doing mine as yet because i can not go under the press & our xray dept know this so all ways keep in contact with your mammo people. .

...noeleena...

Bernadina
03-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Be very very wary of mammograms. They are dangerous.

Physical breasts damage can occur and the radiation levels are very high. The incidents of false positives are also way too high. The reason they are pushed so much is that they make big money for the firms who make the machines and the labs that run them.

Mistybtm
03-31-2011, 02:46 AM

First place to start would be to,ask your doctor.

Tina_N
03-31-2011, 04:42 AM
I had a mammogram about 12 years ago when I had a rather painful lump under my left nipple. It hurt more to have the doctor perform a breast exam than it did to have the mammo. Eventually got the lump removed. Benign.

Since then I've had to persuade my SO to get her mammo. "If I can do it, so can you". She was also concerned about the clamping force but said it was tolerable. Since then she's confirmed they are getting much less painful as the technology improves.

My advice is go for it. Better safe than sorry.

Gerrijerry
03-31-2011, 04:49 AM
YES have it done. simple and to the point you should have been told this already by your doctor.

shesadvl
03-31-2011, 05:48 AM
Be very very wary of mammograms. They are dangerous.

Physical breasts damage can occur and the radiation levels are very high. The incidents of false positives are also way too high. The reason they are pushed so much is that they make big money for the firms who make the machines and the labs that run them.

Bernadina dont know where you get this from but what a load of rubbish...
if it werent for mamography a lot of women wouldnt of known they had breast cancer and some are alive today because they had this immaging done and it was caught in time.... or have gone on to have reconstructive breast surgery.
Yes they are trying to improve how mamograhy's done... as for radiation levels my god I have been havng these for over 20 years and their aint nothing wrong with me....:eek:

Read my post #7 if you want to find out contact your GP or the people that do the mamographys, You need to be upfront with all they are the experts
to let you know if it is right for you to have a mamography.
the other thing is to research either breast cancer in male and there is also breast cancer in transgendered males & females.

Here is something i researched

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) screening uses magnets and radio waves (not x-rays) to create a cross-sectional, detailed image of the breasts. They are usually reserved for special high risk situations such as women with genetic mutations or family histories which increase the likelihood of breast cancer significantly.

Currently, there is no “one size fits all” breast cancer screening strategy. Please talk to your health care provider to determine the best screening program (which test, what age to start, how often to do the test(s), what age to stop) for your individual circumstance.

http://transgenderequality.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/transgender-people-and-breast-cancer/

this is worth reading as well.....

Steph.TS
03-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Why are Cis Males invited to have screening for breast cancer then? I mean, as a male we can get the unisex cancers, then we have testiclucar, and prostate cancers, and we also have a chance of getting a feminine cancer (breast cancer) you'd think that if it gives men a greater chance of early detection and greater survival we'd do it...

Laurie Ann
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
My endo doc has told me a mammogram is now part of my annual chech up.

JulieK1980
03-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Why are Cis Males invited to have screening for breast cancer then? I mean, as a male we can get the unisex cancers, then we have testiclucar, and prostate cancers, and we also have a chance of getting a feminine cancer (breast cancer) you'd think that if it gives men a greater chance of early detection and greater survival we'd do it...

It's less common with genetic males, the potential benefits of the exam are outweighed by the radiation exposure of the mammogram. However, ALL men should be doing self breast exams right along with women. If you are on hormones you are at a much higher risk for ALL cancers. I'd personally recommend getting it done, but don't take my word for it, ask your doctor if you have questions.

sandra-leigh
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM
By the way, the reason that MRI is "usually reserved" for high-risk situations is that traditional MRI are expensive; MRI technology is very safe, though. Research is progressing on reducing the costs of MRIs.

shesadvl
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I dont pay for mamography here nor do we pay for MRI scans either, I feel for those of you that have to pay for this procedure in health.
In our health system from the age of 40 upwards to about 75 its free, they consider that it is not warranted to continue to have these tests.
Some still do if they have are known to be high risk patients though.

I agree with Jody C all genetic males should self exam because men do get breast cancer as well as other types of cancer,... like women., I am of the belief
after reading those links I have posted once the SRS is complete the smear tests that women do also come into being done all though it says their is a lower
percentage of transgendered MTF, unknown of having this type of cancer...but they are also on the scale of at risk the same as a Genetic female.
One thing I did read was that not much research had been done on the MTF scale of cancers in transgendered males.
better to be aware and ask your GP for any information that keeps you aware.....