PDA

View Full Version : Is Crossdressing an Art Form?

VioletJourney
03-31-2011, 01:53 AM
art - the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power

I was thinking about this recently: could crossdressing be considered an art form?

Think about it - using the male body as a canvas, we strive to create what we consider the most beautiful woman in the world. Plus, with the definition above (copypasta'd from my Mac), how could it NOT be considered art? It's clearly the expression of creative skill and imagination, and we want to be appreciated for our beauty, and in some cases, the emotional power.

What if, deep down, crossdressers just want to use themselves as a canvas to create a woman that's a work of art? What do you think about this?

abbykins
03-31-2011, 02:33 AM
I like the idea. I remember from one thread that we have a lot of musicians. I wonder how many of us are artists?

VioletJourney
03-31-2011, 02:37 AM
Well, when I discussed this with my mom last night, she said something along the lines of "Well artists do have that free-spirit and are less inclined to adhere to social norms, so I'm sure quite a few crossdressers are artists." Makes sense to me.

I do happen to be a musician, by the way.

AllieSF
03-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Well, if I could measure the quality of the artwork by the size of the smile on my face when finished transforming myself, then I could easily classify myself as a Louvre quality piece of modern art, especially when compared to the rough canvas that I started with!

Stephanie Miller
03-31-2011, 03:08 AM
When I sit at the make-up counter I think of a quote by Marc Chagall : "Great art picks up where nature ends."
Then I realize I'm not really an artist and another comes to mind: "You can't make silk from a sows ear" :doh:
But who cares.... It's still fun and it's still me :D

Tanya C
03-31-2011, 03:15 AM
Yes, for me cding has developed into an art form over the years. After all, the ability to transform a male image to a female one requires a certain degree of skill and techique. Of course, art is in the eyes of the beholder, and not everybody appreciates this type of art form, but for those of us who have the need to express ourselves as the opposite gender the artful execution of this transformation can be crucial especially for those of us who fully present as female when we dress.
I know a lot of TGs and there are some who do a remarkable job at transformation, and most of it is attributable to their artistic skill.

Kate Simmons
03-31-2011, 04:08 AM
I consider it the art of illusion myself.:)

KrystalA
03-31-2011, 04:45 AM
I think Denise hit the nail on the head here...the art of illusion.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
03-31-2011, 04:54 AM
But so is stylists for clothes, makeup, deportment, hairstyle, personal grooming, manners and so on so yes, crossdressing MtF or FtM is the physical transferrance of what is within your mind to the physical appearance of your ideas. Your ideas maybe influenced by your surroundings, emotions, desires and the act in crossdressing reveals your production to those who are lucky to see your creativity, isn't that fashion?

Pythos
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
OH most definitely. It is a form of living art. The transformation that takes place is stunning.

Jilmac
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
It has been said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I believe the same holds true for art. Crossdressing as an art form can be a benchmark in the beauty we strive for. I have never considered myself as beautiful by any stretch of the imagination but when I dress and see myself in the mirror, I can see the outward beauty of the feminine form.

HannahSF
03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
i would say most crossdressers don't consider it a form of art. just like most girls that use makeup don't consider it a form of art.

"producing works to be appreciated" - Most crossdressers dress for themselves and not really for others to appreciate.

it is what you want it to be.

slamddoger
03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
yes i think so that art from that we also wok on to inpove our salf on all the time

Sherry-Stephanie
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Absolutely...we're trying to "create" a female...illusion or otherwise...what we're trying to do is create a female "look" or image...so it's not just with the make up but the whole person from head to toe isn't it???...and once that's done don't we try and take on the female characterists and mannerisms???

It can be said we're trying to make the illusion as Denise said...but I think it's more than just that...we're transforming and in that process to do it well does become somewhat of artistic endeavor...so yes, I'd say crossdressing is an artform if it's done properly and well...which isn't always the case...nor is it done always for that reason...but hey what the hell do I know anyway????

NicoleScott
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
No, I don't think crossdressing is primarily an art form. We don't crossdress for artistic reasons. We're drven by other reasons. However, as with many other endeavors, we can take it to an art form. Like an expert fly fisherman gently setting a fly into a difficult-to-reach pocket- it's more than catching fish. Or a master chef turning a radish into a beautiful rose - it's more than just food.

Frédérique
03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
I was thinking about this recently: could crossdressing be considered an art form?
Think about it - using the male body as a canvas, we strive to create what we consider the most beautiful woman in the world. Plus, with the definition above (copypasta'd from my Mac), how could it NOT be considered art? It's clearly the expression of creative skill and imagination, and we want to be appreciated for our beauty, and in some cases, the emotional power.
What if, deep down, crossdressers just want to use themselves as a canvas to create a woman that's a work of art? What do you think about this?

As a matter of fact, I AM a work of art, as opposed to a “piece of work,” and I’m quite smug about it. I created my masterpiece with found materials over the course of many years. I began one day with a simple outline, filled it in with the appropriate tones and colors, and then went about embellishing myself until I was satisfied. Unfortunately, my initial euphoria was short-lived, so I went back to the beginning and tried again – I’ve painted many, many versions of myself on this blank human canvas, indeed not to do so would be a tragic case of missed opportunities, not to mention unfulfilled pleasure. It is my private artwork, this person I create, and I keep it near and dear, away from the critics who would destroy the magic I feel…

I would say that crossdressing CAN be an art form, but probably isn’t for the vast majority of participants. Crossdressing as an end in itself is certainly ART, as you have so eloquently stated, but I wonder how many would be put off by this notion? Maybe a visual artist like myself has less difficulty with the idea of MtF crossdressing, simply because I know it is an expression of my innate sensibilities. If I feel it, it has to come out – since the painter paints what he or she wishes to see, and the writer needs to write about what he or she has experienced, it follows that the crossdresser dresses to express what is otherwise held inside. To do so may be nothing more than a foregone conclusion, and it certainly qualifies as ART, my dear…
:battingeyelashes:

Fab Karen
03-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I would never us the phrase "the most beautiful woman" ( or t-girl ) to refer to myself. That aside, yes it is artwork to soften & feminize a male face. Ask some ( not all ) GG's advice about make-up, you might end up looking like a GUY with make-up. Things like beard-shadow aren't in their experience.

Miranda09
03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I would definitely agree that, for me at least, I consider dressing, especially for a photo shoot, to be a form of artistic self expression. If I can accomplish the look with no Photoshopping afterwards, I'm happy!! :)

Diane Smith
03-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Of course, there is a significant "craft" aspect to crossdressing. Design, color, fashion, makeup, hair and choosing and/or constructing various bits of body shaping garments are all aspects of this art. Some are, in fact, attracted to dressing simply because it is, like other forms of theatre, an outlet to display their skill at these crafts. Others, of course, take it further, considering it a lifestyle, deep identity, or beyond -- and you get to choose where you wish to settle on that spectrum!

I know one very beautiful, talented, gay (if that matters) CD who is totally into the "illusion" aspect and enjoys dressing up to show off her skills, but would never consider dressing full time or doing anything permanent to modify her appearance. (She did finally get her ears pierced, but it took years of persuading.) On the other hand, I am probably less skilled at the technical amd aesthetic side -- although I am learning -- but am anxious to pursue anything that will make me look like a woman full-time. I will probably stop only just short of full SRS.

I am involved in many hobbies and job skills that have an aspect of "craftsmanship" and truly enjoy making things, and taking the time to learn how to do it and exercise my skills as patiently and completely as possible. My wardrobe and appearance are no exception.

- Diane

DianeDeBris
04-01-2011, 12:38 AM
?

Not the way I do it!!! <g>

sissystephanie
04-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I think the way I do it now would definitely not be considered an art form. Although I do try to dress very nicely, in stylish clothes, not wearing a wig or makeup does not contribute much!! When my late wife fixed my wig and did my makeup, I really was a work of art............HERS!! Stephanie really looked like a GG!!! Now I am just a guy who wears feminine clothing!! And I love doing it!!

steftoday
04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
one of my favorite CDs, and a (now former??) member of this site, Andrea (now Alexandra on Flickr) takes CDing to an artform. She's an artist, and her best photos always had an artistic quality about them.
<sigh> She's taking a break at the moment, so nothing new from her at this time.... :(

Susan_Xdress
04-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Do we mimic, attempt to duplicate and emulate the best in GG’s ? .. Yes, many of us do. Some portion of cross-dressing is exactly that. We do strive to emulate that which we admire.
An art form ? - The art of illusion ? In many instances, yes, most definitely.

NathalieX66
04-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm artistic & creative.
The only reason I crossdress is because I let my fem side become me. This is me as a woman. I literlly play both sides.
I'm a girl, and I'm a guy.
I go out en femme at any place/ any time.

Andromeda
04-02-2011, 02:32 AM
No cross-dressing, in and of itself, can not be considered art. However, there are many of us who do make it an atrform.

Tina B.
04-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Is cross dressing really an art form? Only if you do it right!
Tina B.

Duana
04-02-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure of the answer but the question resonates with me because of some feelings I've had the past few days. This week was the first time I ever wore makeup and my girlfriend did my face and hair. She wouldn't let me look until it was complete. When I looked in the mirror, I was stunned at my own beauty. Honestly, I was filled with amazement and love for my feminine face. Until that moment, I had no idea Duana was inside me. I could not stop looking at myself. And as I went to bed, I texted her that I didn't want to wash it off because it was like destroying a work of art.

I hope this doesn't sound narcissistic. Its just that I've never experienced these feelings looking at my male self and it was a deeply moving experience for me. And my girlfriend as well. After she finished my eyes, she stepped back and looked at me and tears were rolling down her cheeks. I started to panic and asked what was wrong. She simply said, "You are beautiful. I love you."

StarrOfDelite
04-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Acting is considered to be an Art Form, and what we are doing is playing a role just as much as if we were on the stage or in a movie.

Kaz
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
It is a form of expression for whatever end, and therefore for me... yeah an artform. I prefer to think of it that way than scientifically!

Debutante
04-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh wow! I've often thought of myself and my CDing as such... I've felt i've tried to "sculpt" myself into a femme visage...
so the art metaphor is really on target...