PDA

View Full Version : Psychologists

Felicity71
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
It has been 16 months continuous now on HRT. I wont say im following any handbook, but I was given True Selves to read. Ive found it to be a great reminder why I started down this path. I had seen a Psychologist for help about 7 weeks ago, because my friend kept pushing me to see one, due to my continueing blues and lack of direction. Its interesting how they can get through my initial coldness to get me to break down every visit. Eventually he stated that Ive been a continueing depression lasting around 20 years.
Now the annoying thing is, why didnt I have to strength to find help years ago. Perhaps it should be made manditory that all teenagers and young adults have an annual visit to a professional. I believe this lingering depression is holding me still. I havent been able to see the Psych since he had stated that.

Laurie Ann
03-31-2011, 08:59 AM
I can say that without my shrink I would nt be here today

sandra-leigh
03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Allana, It may sound strange to some, but I think you may understand when I say that the reason I didn't visit a psychologist earlier about my depression was that I wasn't ready to help myself. If my wife had gone ahead and made an appointment for me, I probably wouldn't have refused, but until I had recovered partly from the depression, I could not form the intention to actively want to go.

I started seeing a psychologist in early 2009, and my depression is still lingering. The 3 1/2 major stresses in my life are still present, any one of which would drive a sane person to see a therapist; the marvel is not that I still have some depression but rather that I cope fairly well with it.

The causes of depression are not known yet; it seems likely that there is more than one distinct cause. Some depressions are biochemical and cannot be "cured" by therapy alone -- though therapy may allow one to find "coping strategies" that are sufficient for one's situation and level of impairment.

In my case, the evidence so far is that my depression has a biochemical basis with a probable genetic link. Based upon my history, I am presently exploring an avenue that might work for me but is not a general treatment -- namely HRT. So far it seems to be helping.

BreenaDion
03-31-2011, 02:48 PM
I hated True Selves, my Psychotherapist had me read that early on in my session. As far as me being Transgendered that was the worst book I ever read. These wasnt crap in the there about me. That why I have the signatyure that I have, I had to dig deep an find a half sentice here an there. My book So You want to be a T-girl A realistic Guide to a Transitional Journey. This book writen by a T-Girl gets it as to my situation, Im on pages 9-12.
As your depression you really might have to go deep, im not a therapist but mine whent away as soon as I started Transitioning, meaning HRT. To explore you past an to understand it will give you insight into ur being. Might be horror or simple things you wasnt given, Keep up with the therapy and hope for the best.
From the Unique one.
Breena.

Melody Moore
03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Now the annoying thing is, why didnt I have to strength to find help years ago. Perhaps it should be made manditory that all teenagers and young adults have an annual visit to a professional.

Allana, please don't beat yourself up over this, because just like Sandra points out we were not ready at that
stage of our lives to get help. You can't force anyone to go to counselling, they have to go when they are ready.
For me personally I was ready for counselling over my gender issues back in the mid 1990's, but the problem was
I didn't feel it was OK to bring these issues up with a pyschologist or psychiatrist, because there was nothing to
give me any sort of encouragement & make me feel that it was OK to talk about such issues. My huge fear at the
time was being judged as someone who was 'sick & perverse' for feeling the way I did as a transsexual female.

This is one key issue I am trying to address through my volunteer work with QAHC, Cairns Sexual Health & as well
as the greater part of my local community. When I was having lots of counselling in the mid 1990s I opened up to
my counsellors about being sexually abused and the reason why I did was because I was made to feel it was OK to
talk to my counsellors about such issues after reading brochures found in the brochure information racks while I was
waiting for appointments in the waiting rooms. To this day I still wonder why noone had ever put any sort of brochure
out with information to encourage those who are Transsexual & suffer from Gender Identity Disorder to talk about it.

So one of the things high on my agenda in helping others like us as well a bringing better education & awareness to our
issues is getting such an information out there to the waiting rooms of psychologists & other medical practitioners who
are willing to support us in the best way possible. The reason I think this is important because we often feel alone and
often don't know where to even start to find help with this type of condition. I am also planning on a series of media
releases to show the greater Cairns community that there is a fairly large group of us who live here so others don't feel
alone & out of place for coming forward seeking help. When we struggle to find out who we are & where we fit in to this
society this contributes to a huge amount of stress & anxiety which ultimately causes us lots of depression.

As for your continuing blues & depression, personally I think you will eventually overcome all of that when you have really
have accepted yourself. But don't feel bad that you haven't reached that point yet because you are young & still learning.
It took me the best part of 47 years to get to that point myself. So you are well ahead of me there already. I only wished
I had the strength to deal with this like you have now at the stage you are at in your life. so I hope that is something that
you can really start to feel good about.

:hugs: