PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Doctor in the house?

EllieOPKS
03-31-2011, 09:48 AM
I was just reading the thread titled "Interesting Question", and it is a very interesting question for discussion. It got me to wondering, are there any doctors, therapists, etc that are members of this sight? I think some questions would best be answered by a professional. Have any of you girls who have been brave enough to talk with a professional ever suggested that they check out the forum?

I know that probably most professionals would suggest a paid one-on-one session and rightfully so, but it would be cool to occasionally be able to ask their input. So what are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Ellie

Kathi Lake
03-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Ellie, I used to be a counselor, but let my license lapse when I entered into career number 17. :)

I do know of a few on this site, but for various reasons, all have kept mum on their status. Why? Think about it. My wife has her doctorate in nursing, and is an advanced-practice RN. As a result, people are always coming to her with, "Hey, I have a quick question . . ." That 'quick' question then devolves into their complete medical history, and the history of the malady of the day. When she's not at work, she's not at work. You know what I mean?

Plus, there is an element of the ethics of treating your own 'family.'

So, my advice to those that believe they need a therapist. Find one. From what I hear, it is usually money well-spent.

:)

Kathi

JulieK1980
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
In 7 more months I will be an RN, but ultimately I wouldn't ever suggest taking advice from anyone online. Anybody here could claim to be anything and there isn't an effective way to determine actual credentials. Any opinions given related to medical advice should end with, "consult your physician."

EllieOPKS
03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Kathi
I completely understand what you are saying. I am the same way with my career, when the day is done, I can't spell teknoloogee :)

Jodi
Point well taken. If Dr Ruth posted, how would we really know if it was her?

il.dso
03-31-2011, 10:33 AM
I am a medical doctor and proud member of this wonderful forum!
I would never give medical or professional advice through the internet.
Also, I greatly enjoy and benefit from the wisdom and advice of
other members who participate in this website.

Kate Simmons
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Many folks on here are good to talk to as they have had RLE and lived it. Theories are theories and okay but experience is the best teacher in my opinion. This Forum has the foremost experts in the world in that respect.:)

Stephanie Miller
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Just so everyone on the site knows : I'm not a lawyer, doctor, counselor or therapist.
But the good news is - my advice is FREE!
(Caution: You get what you pay for :D )

tiffanyjo89
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Just so everyone on the site knows : I'm not a lawyer, doctor, counselor or therapist.

I have to say, this quote is perfect for this thread.

Sure, someone can be a licensed therapist, licensed doctor, licensed whatever...the big thing is, when they are giving advice online they are going with what can be a very limited amount of communication. Therapy sometimes takes MONTHS and in that time communication happens that is out of the limits of a web forum. Medicine is similar... Ultimately their advice may come with a good amount of knowledge behind them and a good amount of experience with similar cases, but without enough knowledge of your case, their advice to take two aspirin and PM them in the morning may prove to counteract a drug you never mentioned and put you in the hospital.

Cynthia Anne
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM

Thats funny! I don't care who you are! If you can't laugh at that, then you need to get out of here! Yes any one who gives advice can can be considered a doctor of some sort! A lot of quacks here! Hugs!

sterling12
03-31-2011, 02:45 PM
A lot of what goes on around here often looks like, or could be taking the place of Group Therapy. Except, we aren't nearly as mean-spirited as some of The People I have encountered in GT. Often, there is sort of a Leader to keep time, and sort of "keep focus," and that would be a pretty good description of our Mods. A Brief Description of A Typical Meeting: Generally, it's a lot of opinions about someone's situation or problems. Each person participating ventures their particular idea of how to "help" or express sympathy. And, they often use their own experiences to clarify Key Points.

Now, doesn't that sound about like what we do around here? No Sweat!!! It saves our members $100 an Hour, and helps them cope with being transgendered. I think that all of us effectively offer about all "The Expertise" that we need.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Alberta_Pat
03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I agree with the other "professionals" here.

I drive a truck for a living. I do not drive a truck for friends or family.

If someone needs a truck driven, I will do it at the standard rate I get paid. I do have to record the hours in the log book, so I will not do it free.

Jennifer in CO
04-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Ellie I wish I could be that black and white with my job but in my industry, you are what you are 24/7 and in back-side agreement with others in this (which they have not directly said)...you are liable for anything that comes out of your mouth when ever it comes out of your mouth 24/7...

Jenn

Fractured
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Ellie I wish I could be that black and white with my job but in my industry, you are what you are 24/7 and in back-side agreement with others in this (which they have not directly said)...you are liable for anything that comes out of your mouth when ever it comes out of your mouth 24/7...

This is the biggest crux of the issue, IMO. No one wants to be legally liable for trying to be good samaritans but it can and does happen. I appreciate a good thought provoking question or nudge in the right direction but I also don't want "treatment" over the internet. And as others have pointed out, you need to be off the clock sometime!

Tina B.
04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Joanie in post # 10 says it all! you want to talk to someone in the know, about trans matters, ask a trans person. And if group therapy is just peoples opinions, we got lots of those here! And Stephanie, I would like to add, that your advice is worth everything it cost! I never liked hanging out with co-workers, because all they ever had to talk about was work, and I never cared to spend my time talking about that, I had just spent all day there, I wanted to talk about anything but work. I spent 30 years as a mover, and the only ones that got a free move, had the same last name as I do. The rest payed wages, or did it themselves.

Stephanie Miller
04-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you Tina B. I take pride in my work. If there...... Opps, wait.... I see another thread starting! They may need my help. Off I go.......:eg:

:rofl:

VioletJourney
04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm not a therapist or anything, but I do happen to be a psych student who's very passionate about psychology! So even though I'm not a fully trained therapist, you can trust that my advice is backed by at least a tiny bit of background knowledge.