PDA

View Full Version : Pam-Mass Challenge bikeaton.

BreenaDion
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Now for some good news, hope we can met in 2012?
In 2005 I said to myself at being 325 lbs, this is enough. I stoped gaing weight and wanted to lose cuz this is just to much. For 3 yrs I didnt do much but at least in the first 3 yrs of my adult life I didnt gain weight.
Being with a Psychotherapist there goal is also to make you a healthy woman.
I cant use weight machine, to many disabled body parts. Then in early march of 2010 I like to camp and cycle the pathways with the kids. I did like it as a child myself, freedom the bike gives you to go places. Well why not try an cycle for exercise, so I bought a mountain bike. Wrong thing to by at first I found out later but only huff an puff my way though just a hand full of miles. I kept on an got more miles each day. I hit the wall as they say at 11 miles. a few weeks later an the wall was gone.
By the end of Nov of 2010 I was doing 59 miles aday aided by pain pills.
I got so into cycling it was like an adiction and wanted more miles a day.
I settled in with a goal of 100 miles a day, this was last yr an early this yr 2011.
Then im thinking of the mass bike route they have every summer to raise money for cancer , so im thinking I need 100 miles a day.
When I was chatting with a friend online game room I told her about that event. I wanted more information so I googled it.

"Pan-Mass challenge bikeathon , which is taking place August 2-3, from Sturbridge, Mass, to Provincetown, Mass on the very tip of Cape Cod. This is a charity bikeathon to benefit the very innovative cancer research taking place at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, which sponsors the Jimmy Fund. Because of the miracles being uncovered at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and other research across the country, much of it funded by private contributions because of cutbacks by the federal government, more people are able to live longer with cancers of various kinds, and more are able to recover fully or have long-term remissions of the disease. These are very exciting times for cancer research."

I dont think I can make it this year. I have the support network to help me but this goal is hard to achieve in a short period of training. I am hoping for 2012 to jion and maybe I can see any one from here to cycle with ? Great cause and get exercise also. What about it People any one up for the challenge.
Least this way I can do something usefull in my life, what about ur challenge and whats on your mind. Please keep it clean and respectful Thank You.
Breena.

BreenaDion
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Also I want to add that early on I had to upgade my mountain bike for a street bike like the pro's use but only a cheap 1, 150$. After a few week it started to get lose and so I had to upgrade. Whent to a mid range bike shop an bought a hybred for 500$. This bike sure did fit my style and rugged. LOL I bought it to late cuz I was early on in HRT and now I need a womans bike. Psychoterapist say women ride mens bike but I feal ickky riding this so another upgrade is in store later. I then last week donated my street bike to a worker at Salvation Army Family Store which he had his stolen. I told my wife I just want a coupon for donating this bike, as I used it for a spare. He gave my wife one big hug , cuz he uses it for transportation to an from work.
Breena.

Jessinthesprings
04-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I just want to congradulate you. You have done what many say or want to do but never take the first step. Good luck!

danielleb
04-02-2011, 12:21 PM
100 mile rides are a mental barrier more than anything. Ride somewhere you've never ridden before, and I'm willing to bet you end up riding alot less if you're alone. It's all a mental game. Sounds great that not only are you working to better yourself, but helping others in the process, congratulations!:)

As an avid cyclist and former veteran bike shop employee, don't sweat the idea of a guys vs girls bike! In road bikes they just slack up the headtube angle a little for less upper body strength, but in the larger sizes that is minimal. Mainly the colors change, and even that is usually a pretty poor selection in really femme styling. Most serious women riders will ride a mens frame that are 5' 8" or over. Make sure you have a good seat, and this is where it's important to match it to your body. I like the specialized line available in widths to match up to your bones, and cutouts to relieve pressure points and increase bloodflow, sounds corny, but works. Whatever you decide to ride, the most important thing for you (if you are still over 200lbs) would be to make sure to get a robust traditional wheelset (nothing with the new reduced/paired spoke pattern), and consider a wider tire (not the skinny 23's normally equipped, but 25's or 8's). It's a little slower/heavier but will be more comfortable, and last much longer! Then make sure to get yourself color coordinated!:D
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200335_140080366062315_100001810575773_237565_5387 691_s.jpg

BreenaDion
04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info, mine is a heavier mens bike with the wide tires. Crosstrail they call it. Not sure but its a larger frame which helps my legs with cramps, as to stretch out my legs. To support my back I need straight handle bars as to lay both arms across to support the back. I have degenerative disks in the lower lumbar section with colasped end plates. This is a challenge in its self so I need the aid of pain pills. Also arthritis in both knees but the right one is horrorable. Hour an a half without pain pills an im done for the day. I did 72 miles today and I might pay for it tomorrow. Cuz of transitioning Im thinking a woman bike in the idea of a hybred, crosstrail or I might just change the color of this one ?.
Thanks
Breena.

Jeanna
04-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Transitioning will not change your skeletal geometry,therefore, stick with the men's frame. Have your bikes painted pink and ride on!

Laurie A
04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
100 mile rides are a mental barrier more than anything. Ride somewhere you've never ridden before, and I'm willing to bet you end up riding alot less if you're alone. It's all a mental game. Sounds great that not only are you working to better yourself, but helping others in the process, congratulations!:)

As an avid cyclist and former veteran bike shop employee, don't sweat the idea of a guys vs girls bike! In road bikes they just slack up the headtube angle a little for less upper body strength, but in the larger sizes that is minimal. Mainly the colors change, and even that is usually a pretty poor selection in really femme styling. Most serious women riders will ride a mens frame that are 5' 8" or over. Make sure you have a good seat, and this is where it's important to match it to your body. I like the specialized line available in widths to match up to your bones, and cutouts to relieve pressure points and increase bloodflow, sounds corny, but works. Whatever you decide to ride, the most important thing for you (if you are still over 200lbs) would be to make sure to get a robust traditional wheelset (nothing with the new reduced/paired spoke pattern), and consider a wider tire (not the skinny 23's normally equipped, but 25's or 8's). It's a little slower/heavier but will be more comfortable, and last much longer! Then make sure to get yourself color coordinated!:D
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200335_140080366062315_100001810575773_237565_5387 691_s.jpg

This is great advice!

A properly fit bike, not matter what type you choose is most critical. If you can afford it, find a bike shop in your area that offers a professional bike fit service.

If you have completed a 72 mile ride, then you can definitely do 100!! Build up your mileage slowly, let your body adapt to the specific demands that cycling presents. In addition to the mental aspect, an endurance event is also an eating and drinking contest.... you've got to take in enough hydration and calories during the ride to succeed.

The Pan-Mass Challenge is a great event. Why not go for it? Best of luck!

TerryTerri
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Breena, Just wanted to say: You ROCK!!!!! Good luck with your goals and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and warm thoughts headed your way!!!

BreenaDion
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I have the funds for a new womans bike. I bought my crosstrail, heavy hybred bike with some what wide tires 22" frame, the biggest they had in that style and I adjusted the set up so I can straighten my legs out fully as I ride sitting uprightto help prevent cramps, but magnesium did the final trick . As I bend over I did adjust the handle bars a little forward rotation so when I encounter pedestrians, mainly children where I ride I stand up and balance and are ready for the unexpected. Child will do any thing an people just dont look when sharing a roadway. Why I rotated the handle bars forward so I can rest both forarms on the straight handle bars to support my back. Degenerative disk disease in the lower lumbar section. When I am riding bent forward my knees dont touch the other body parts so this is also comfortable.
I did think of painting the bike to a more traditional womans color . I did occur an acident last yr where I toqued the front rim and the bike shop guaranteed it an replaced with a new one, no charge. The back rim which I didnt notice had a slight wabble an they trued it, but under stress this rim just doesnt stay. Next if I keep the bike I need a new back rim.
If I do buy a new bike then I might occur similiar problems , so a got a few months. Thanks, but how do I post pictures ?
Breena.

danielleb
04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I sent you a PM. I'm sure I can help recommend some things to make your current bike a little better suited to your goal.

BreenaDion
04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I got a new back rim and need more excessories later , but I am going to stick with this bike I dont have any complaints about it after the new rim. Just color it later and new tires soon. I am doing over 250 miles aweek, 80 miles today but I need to see gina tomorrow for a 2pm treatment, messes up my day cuz I wanted back to back days to see where I am.
Thanks guys for the interest I got some points from it. I might be able to run it this yr . I cant push it cuz im afaird of what I might do to my spine. So far so good but I cant ever walk for exercise again, so I go with caution. Wheelchair isnt the future I want. Thanks
Breena.