PDA

View Full Version : Teaching by example.

dawnmarrie1961
04-02-2011, 02:44 PM
One of the local gospel churches served a hotdog lunch this noon at the homeless shelter in Omaha, Nebraska, that I'm staying at. The weather was nice. It was in the upper 60’s.
As I stood there eating my lunch a gentleman came up to be and tried to make a pass. His jaw dropped when I said “Sorry, mister, put I don’t swing that way.” And he realized who it was that he was taking to.
He quickly apologized for his presumptions and I reassured him by saying, “It’s OK. It happens to me all the time.”
Because the weather was so nice I wore a tank top and a pair of shorts. I didn’t think I was dressing provocatively.
He went on to comment that he thought I was gorgeous, which isn’t true in my mind anyway. I don’t see myself in terms of being lovely or not. I just like to look presentable and comfortable. I felt flattered just the same and thanked him for the sentiment.
He said that he didn’t know what to call me. A mama? Or a sir? I told him it doesn’t matter to me. Either works. I told him “I’m a person just like anyone else here.”
I had a nice conversation with him. He had a friend with him that I could tell was a little uncomfortable with me being who I am.
I told him, “It’s alright. I’m nothing to be afraid of. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.“
I went on to joke that “This is just my way of picking up chicks. How’s that working out for me? Not so good.” This got them both laughing. It showed them that I’m just a normal human being just like they are. A lesson to often forgotten that needs to be re-enforced from time to time.
I shook hands with both of them after the conversation was over.
Ok maybe I’m not just here to learn. Maybe I need to teach a little too.
The best kind of teaching comes from example. How we conduct ourselves.
A line from a movie "There is no such thing as a bad student. Just bad teachers."
Lets try and be good teachers out there people. So the world can see they have nothing to fear from us.

Lainie
04-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Brava, dear, bravissima!

I don't pass at all, so people often call me "sir" even when I'm wearing a dress. Once I got " darlin' " from a waitress, and it lifted my heart.

I'm so sorry that you are in a shelter now. Hope you find yourself in a more secure place very soon. I have a lot of complaints about churches on the subjects of doctrine, inflexibility, and exclusion on the basis of belief. But I continually find that churches are full of good people, who care about helping others, and getting along with (almost) everyone--doing good and being good. Especially my fellow Iowans. I guess the folks across the Missouri in Omaha are about the same.

Thanks for your story--and keep us posted, please, on how you are doing!

Cynthia Anne
04-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I can see you are a beautiful person! You are that great example of a great teacher! My heart goes out to you, my dear Dawn Marrie! Hoping the best for you! Hugs forever!

Rogina B
04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
You said just the right thing and have a wonderful attitude.Being different doesn't make us wrong. You are very nice and thanks for sharing.

dawnmarrie1961
04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Brava, dear, bravissima!

I don't pass at all, so people often call me "sir" even when I'm wearing a dress. Once I got " darlin' " from a waitress, and it lifted my heart.

I'm so sorry that you are in a shelter now. Hope you find yourself in a more secure place very soon. I have a lot of complaints about churches on the subjects of doctrine, inflexibility, and exclusion on the basis of belief. But I continually find that churches are full of good people, who care about helping others, and getting along with (almost) everyone--doing good and being good. Especially my fellow Iowans. I guess the folks across the Missouri in Omaha are about the same.

Thanks for your story--and keep us posted, please, on how you are doing!
Lainie, no need to feel bad for me. We are where we are for a reason. Of that I am most sure. Nobody wants to be homeless. It just happens. You are quite right about churches. There are a lot of good people there. Whatever the doctrine might be there is always a common thread of goodness that is shared. I've been a part of many different faiths over the years. Although many would say that religion on the whole is just some grand delusional way of thinking I would have to say that this delusion may very well be humanities only redeeming factor, the ability to believe in more than just the self.

I can see you are a beautiful person! You are that great example of a great teacher! My heart goes out to you, my dear Dawn Marrie! Hoping the best for you! Hugs forever!

Thankyou, Cynthia. Hugs to you too.

You said just the right thing and have a wonderful attitude.Being different doesn't make us wrong. You are very nice and thanks for sharing.

Rogina, It certainly isn't easy to stay upbeat but I try. You are right that being different doesn't make us wrong. But it also doesn't make us right either. It can not be measured or evaluated in terms of wrong or right. It simply is for reasons that are unique to each of us. I think, perhaps, what scares the average non-cross dresser is how close their own personal inner most feelings on the subject reflect our own. They see us and inside they wish they could be free too. In order to shield themselves from the inner turmoil that our presence causes them they lash out venting their frustrations and fears at us. I see this everyday. It saddens me.