PDA

View Full Version : Should I try them on?

Phoebe P.
04-03-2011, 12:42 AM
My wife's prom dresses are in the basement. She was a 5 or 6 at the time. The dresses were custom made and outrageously sexy. Of course she's my wife now. Do I dare?

I'm 6'4" 180 and don't want to split them in half. I'm not sure of women's sizes...

Tasha McIntyre
04-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Absolutely you should try them on........but with your wifes consent first.

Have fun :)

Christina Horton
04-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Does she know your a CDer? If not then I would say no. If she ever found out your might find that she'll hate you for that. It WILL cause more trouble then you want. It may not be that fact that your a CDer but the fact that you lied and wore it with out her permission. So unless she knows about you and you ask her if you can then I stress that you never NEVER wear anything of hers....Ever!!! It's a trust thing that she will be the more hurt by. So be smart don't do it . If you want to wear gowns go and try some on or buy some , Just leave her stuff alone. Just my :2c:

GaleWarning
04-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure that you will not fit into them. I think it's a bad idea. Buy one of your own from an op shop instead.

Phoebe P.
04-03-2011, 01:06 AM
All of the women's clothes I wear are hers. She paints my nails b/c I'm totally left handed. My right hand is useless!

I'm pretty sure that you will not fit into them. I think it's a bad idea. Buy one of your own from an op shop instead.

She was pretty darn small in high school. 5'7" 110-120. That's what I'm not sure about. These are some VERY hot dresses though...

Julogden
04-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Sounds like you're pretty slender, but I don't think they'll fit you. If your wife is okay with it, have her help you cautiously try them on, don't force things if they're too small.

Carol

Phoebe P.
04-03-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm wearing one of her dresses at the moment, but it doesn't go back to HS. I'll try them carefully. She's ok, but has never put clothes on me...

Eryn
04-03-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm a bit shorter and lighter than you and there is no way I'd fit into a 5 or 6. I fit a 10 or 12 dress and 8 in jeans.

Now, if she's consenting and helping you go ahead and give it a (gentle) try. Then you can both have a good chuckle and head out and buy you one in a proper size!

Kiera79
04-03-2011, 01:19 AM
No man. Leave her prom dresses alone. That is HER SPECIAL memories. Some things are precious to women.

Tanya C
04-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Good luck trying to fit into a size 6. It's not worth the risk of ruining your wife's property over a useless pursuit.
Then to reward yourself for keeping your hands off her dresses go out and treat yourself to a new outfit. (your size)

Kiwi Primrose
04-03-2011, 02:13 AM
There is no way you will be satisfied with these clothes and it will upset you and your wife if you damage them.
Look out for some you can buy for yourself, this will help you get a proper look.

missvaldubois
04-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Don't think you will get into the dresses!

Maria in heels
04-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Be careful...I don't think that you will fit into the 5-6 size either....years change everyone

VanessaVW
04-03-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm wearing one of her dresses at the moment, but it doesn't go back to HS. I'll try them carefully. She's ok, but has never put clothes on me...

So, are you sure was she ok with it? Did they fit? And finally, are you going to get your own that do fit????

Sara Jessica
04-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Let's see, you describe a weight difference of 60-70 pounds. Sorry, there's not a chance that the dresses would come close to fitting you. Don't even bother trying.

Cynthia Anne
04-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Some things are better left undone! And believe me, those dresses will be left 'undone'! Sorry! Hugs!

Megan70
04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Absolutely NOT. You will never fit into a size 5 or 6, you're too big both ways, but that is not the reason. There are several things to me that are sacred of wife and daughters formal clothing that is completely theirs and i should never touch.... my wife's wedding dress and daughters senior prom dress, both that were hand made by my wife. Hands off I say.

BRANDYJ
04-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Absolutely NOT. You will never fit into a size 5 or 6, you're too big both ways, but that is not the reason. There are several things to me that are sacred of wife and daughters formal clothing that is completely theirs and i should never touch.... my wife's wedding dress and daughters senior prom dress, both that were hand made by my wife. Hands off I say.

I agree with Megan and the few others that say that you should leave them alone. I would never touch my SO's clothing unless she gave them to me. It's not just that the dresses might be sacred, but to me it's an invasion on her privacy and personal things. I have never been so deep in the pink fog as to break a trust to give into invading her space. Besides, if she had special occassion dresses that I thought she looked fantastic in, I don't want to ruin that memory of how she pleased my eye in wearing them, byt my trying them on. No way in hell would I do those dresses justice anyway.

Rogina B
04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
A far more sensible approach may be[when your wife is in a helpful mood and painting your nails]just say"I am so envious of those dresses you have stored downstairs. Can you help me find something similar in my size at a thrift or somewhere? PLEASE PLEASE!" And the two of you figure out your ACTUAL dress size....like a 14.. Have fun with this...

VanessaVW
04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
A far more sensible approach may be[when your wife is in a helpful mood and painting your nails]just say"I am so envious of those dresses you have stored downstairs. Can you help me find something similar in my size at a thrift or somewhere? PLEASE PLEASE!" And the two of you figure out your ACTUAL dress size....like a 14.. Have fun with this...

That sounds like a plan.

Tina B.
04-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Sara said it, I've tried before, but you just can't put a 180 lb man in a 110 lb woman's dress, just ain't going to work. It's like trying to put 10 lbs of sugar (not the usual comparison item, *h*t would me more like it) in a five lb bag. That trip to a Thrift shop or a boutique after prom season and see what you can find in you size. I couldn't wear what I wore in high school, much less what my wife wore back then.
Tina B.

Pythos
04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
If your wife knows of your CDing, then ask her. You two are married and love one another, so why is this little bit of communication so difficult?

Jilmac
04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
First of all, if you're 6'4" and 180# you wouldn't even come close to fitting into a size 5 or 6. I'm 5'8" and when I weighed 180 I wore a womens 14. Secondly you have to know if it's a misses size or womens size because there is a difference. Some years ago when I weighed between 165 and 170 I tried on a bridesmaid dress that belonged to a cousin and the bridal gown from my sister in law. Both were size 12 and with a C cup bra (with homemade forms) both were extremely tight in the bodice and would only zipper up about half way. If you try on the dresses and find the bodice to be too tight (or not fit at all) please don't go any further because you will more than likely split the seams or zipper.

Phoebe P.
04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Makes very good sense! Thanks for talking me off that ledge!

Jolene
04-03-2011, 11:48 AM
If your wife looked really nice in them, maybe she would wear them again for you.

Being Paige
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM
absolutely not. It wouldn't be right and You would have to be wearing at least a size small in your own femme clothes and being 180lbs I would say your a medium or possibly a large.

Tina P Hose
04-03-2011, 05:39 PM
DON'T DO IT !!! they are not yours, okay ?

Phoebe P.
04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Done. I didn't. Y'all were definitely right. What everyone said made perfect sense.

sissystephanie
04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Phoebe, I am 5" 10" and weigh 174. There is absolutely no way that I could fit into anything less than a size 14 dress, and even that would be tight. All the dresses that I have are size 16, and they fit me perfectly. It is a good thing you followed the advice given on this thread. I wear skirts (size 16) and tops most of the time out in public, and wear my dresses at home!

marny
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Undestand yur fantasy hon! But give yourself a shake! Get your own clothes!

Nancie64
04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Be real, if she was only around a 110#, I don't think that you have even a chance. I tried on one of my sisters dresses when I was young and didn't know any better. Well after i squeezed into it, I wasted a lot of time trying to get it off. Was easy getting the zipper up, not so easy getting the zipper down. I now let my SO wear my dresses that I wore about 10 years ago. She will only wear them around the house because of the style, but she looks good in them. I can't beleive I was only a size 10back then. Now it's a size 16, mostly skirts and sweaters. Let your wife try them on if they look that hot. You will benefit more.

Phoebe P.
04-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I didn't try them on and I won't. Thank you for your feedback...

siantv2003
04-04-2011, 06:34 AM
No man. Leave her prom dresses alone. That is HER SPECIAL memories. Some things are precious to women.

I'm with Keira on this one .. if something happens to those dresses you will feel awful. Besides, as others have pointed out, HS was a long time a go - doubt that you'll fit into them even you do wear her things now. BTW - you havent told us what size she wears now - I only summising but youre wearing them and are 6'4 and 180, theyll be a 10 /12 or there about .. unless youve stretched them a bit. no offence meant ;-)

JenniferR771
04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Above post makes a good point, Phobe.
Prom dresses are on sale at Goodwill in my town this week. They received a batch of new ones that didn't sell. Many are over a hundred dollars and marked down to $9.95! Take a look. At one of the local Goodwill stores I have made friends with the nicest clerk. She is fine with helping me try on some candidates dresses--and she helps me with the zipper at times.

Lainie
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Go ahead--and let us know how the divorce works out, if the lunatic asylum she has you committed to allows internet access.

Phoebe P.
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Read the thread please. For the third time, I didn't! Please don't tell me not to any more. Thank you.

JennyA
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Lol Phobe. I'm assuming you'll get at least 10 more 'don't do it' posts until people realize that you said you're not gonna do it.

ReineD
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
First, you won't fit into a size 6. But if you've got the sizes wrong and there's a chance they might fit, I'd ask her first.

But, if she's going through growing pains with the CDing at the moment (per your other posts), she may not like the idea. Come to think of it, it might be best for you to get your own prom dress and wait until all the newness over the CDing wears off in your marriage and you and your wife are on the same page with it, before you suggest that you wear each other's clothes. :)

Kaz
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Your SO clearly is tolerating your CDing and allowing you to experiment with her clothes... this is better than most of us get as clothes are generally deeply personal (though I have never had any problem with others wearing mine.. hmmm). Those prom dresses are different.. you need to show her that you have boundaries to the potential intrusion you mey be projecting. If she is OK then great! Though be wary that she may say OK to support you whilst wishing that you didn't.

They are certainly not going to fit you, so why push it? Think of her when she was wearing them... please respect her?

Stephanie47
04-04-2011, 03:36 PM
First, never borrow without asking! Second, you need to check a size chart at any on line retailer. At 180 pounds you're going to split the seams on any five or six size dress.

Annaliese
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
It would be funner to buy your own.