PDA

View Full Version : The Women's Seder

Persephone
04-03-2011, 03:53 AM
As you may already know, we're Jewish and the holyday of Passover is coming up soon. Many congregational ladies groups have a Women's Seder to kick off the season and I recently attended my first one!

I wore a soft blousy purple top, black skirt, and strappy black 3-1/2" heels (actually 4-1/2" with a 1" platform).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/WomensSeder.jpg

I have a very high acceptance within the group, so many women came by to say "Hi" before the ceremony began. There were about 70 women present, all seated around a single large table setup.

One of my friends, I'll call her Lisa, invited me to sit with her and her cousin. Lisa is someone who has completely and unconditionally accepted me from the beginning. She is actually one of my son's former teachers.

The woman who sat on my other side is also a friend, both from the lady's auxiliary and from my women's social group.

The Seder began with a traditional candle lighting ceremony and prayer. We were asked to bring our own candlesticks and, at my spouse's suggestion, I brought my Mother's candlesticks which had been my Grandmother's before that. I'm very sure it is the first time I've ever used them. Lighting them in public and saying the traditional women's prayer with a large group of other women was a very moving moment.

We went through the ceremony with some modifications to reflect women's interests and ideas. We looked at the related Bible stories from the women's perspective. It is fascinating to note how much of the story, drawn from Exodus, pivots on the roles that women played.

Lisa is a ball of energy, particularly when music is involved. So at one point, as we were singing a particularly energetic song about how Miriam (Moses and Aaron's sister) led the women in joyous dancing after the people miraculously crossed the sea she jumped up, pulled me out of my seat, gathered a few others and we all ended up in a swirling women's circle dance in the center of the room! I can't even begin to describe how I felt!

We concluded the service by standing up in pairs and small groups holding prayer shawls high in the air over ourselves as we recited a concluding prayer. There were some women who remained seated because of age or infirmity and several of us maneuvered around so that we covered them with the prayer shawls as well. It was a beautiful and moving moment.

As we broke up to go to our homes, there were hugs all around and I floated out on a cloud of happiness.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Maria in heels
04-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Thank you for sharing this wonderful time with all of us. I can imagine how happy you were during that ceremony, feeling the love and warmth in that room from everyone present...you are blessed with great friends

noeleena
04-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi,

Hey thats real cool Love it,, you had a good time.
Just two details did you have the 7 candles holder youll know what im on about

& a change away from the male side of things more in line with women & thats way cool. neat
Have you Read about Esther. & the dancing, lovely.
Glad it was a neat time for you.

...noeleena...

t-girlxsophie
04-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Nice of you to share such an uplifting and spiritual experience with us,am happy for you that you have gained the acceptance of the other women,and nice that you found time to show concern for the elderly and infirm ladies present

Cynthia Anne
04-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Some ladies know how to have a good time! And that includes you! I'm happy for you!

S. Lisa Smith
04-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Very nice!! Have a wonderful Pesach! I always OD on Matzos and butter....

Tina B.
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Great telling of a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us. I love the way you have been accepted by your temple.
Tina B.

Persephone
04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Just two details did you have the 7 candles holder . . . Have you Read about Esther. & the dancing
...noeleena...

Hi Noeleena,

The 7 branched candle holder that I think you are talking about is more of a sort of wall decoration in rememberance of the original Temple, it isn't used for anything.

Women in a household traditionally light two candles just before Sabbath and holydays. It actually isn't a custom that is restricted to women, but it is, by far, most commonly done by women.

Esther and the dancing? Hmmmmm, that's a whole other story that is part of the holiday of Purim that we celebrated a few weeks ago.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Jilmac
04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Being Christian, I have never attended a Seder but have been to several church functions (pot luck dinners and picnicks) where I was totally accepted by the other women. I'm glad that you had such a good time at your Seder and hope you have many more events you can enjoy.

SherriePall
04-03-2011, 03:22 PM
I can only say thank you for sharing that beautiful story with us! Sounds like true acceptance.

BLUE ORCHID
04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
That was a great story it is so wonderful that you are so accepted into the group thanks for sharing it with us.

Orchid

Eryn
04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Thank you for sharing that story with us! I love reading about the interesting "real life" situations that you experience.