PDA

View Full Version : Cancun Hotel Zone, Safe?

Duana
04-03-2011, 04:34 AM
So my GF and I have a trip planned for Cancun. We're planning for Duana to do a midnight walk on the beach, a night in the bar zone and a day of hitting the malls in the hotel zone.

I don't pass. I probably never will and I'm ok with that. What I want to know is, does anyone have experience in Cancun in this situation? I want to dance the night away with my GF and let Duana loose.

If you have any experience at all, I'd love to hear it.

Of course, we plan on being safe. I often travel to Colombia and I know how to stay alert. When we go to the bar zone, it will be in a cab from the hotel to the bar and then straight back. I want to know if that's enough.

2SpeedTranny
04-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Mexicans are some of the most laid-back people on Earth.

Just watch out for those damn American tourists.

Rogina B
04-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Don't worry so much! You will never see them again and maybe it will be the "high" point of someone's trip. And you already know to keep your wits about you...Colombia teahes us that.. Have a great time and go to the beach as a girl as well..try it,you'll love it.

Duana
04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. I agree that Mexicans are fairly laid back and accepting. My GF is Latino so she speaks Spanish (and 3 other languages) so that helps with the locals. I agree it is probably the visitors that would be the issue but this is a good time to go with schools and colleges in session. We're going to have a blast.

AllieSF
04-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Since Cancun is a very touristy zone and the local economy greatly depends on it, I would think that you would be safe there. However, I would ask the hotel if they recommend that you take a radio taxi (call taxi company and they send one to pick you up) Mexico City is another situation completely and I would always recommend that you take a radio taxi everywhere because everyone, locals and foreigners get robbed by the some taxi drivers and their cohorts in crime. Enjoy your stay and make sure you get some great beach pics to share.

rocketscientist
04-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Duana, why is it you think you'll never "pass"? And why worry about it? Probably most of us here don't "pass" as natal females. A lot of us that go out know we're probably not going to be passable 100% of the time. As has been said here time and again it's all about being comfortable in your own skin. Carry yourself with confidence and be the best you can be. If someone "reads" you,so what? Is the world gonna end right there? NO, it will keep on going.Most people are too busy with their own agendas to care what you're up to. Just remember, if someone has a problem with how you're dressed, THEY have a problem, not you. Hold your head up high and show them you have every right to be there too, regardless what some narrow minds may think.If you treat everyone with politeness and respect, they should do the same for you. I hope this helps. Hugs,Tonya

Tuesday
04-03-2011, 03:54 PM
going to cancun myself in two weeks hope you have a good time and maybe see you there x

Duana
04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Tonya,

Actually, I'm fine with not passing, its a bit of a turn-on and meets a desire for attention, I suppose. I'm just accepting that with my physique (large chest, shoulders and arms) as well as the fact that I'm not going to shave my legs or arms, I will not fool anyone. I'm not bothered by it. I'll definitely be confident and have a great time.

Last trip there, GF and I were at the open-air Dos Equis bar and were dancing on the platform. She asked me if Duana would do that and I told her, "Hell yes! I'll shake my booty and show off my gorgeous legs." My legs are my favorite part of my body. If I saw them on a GG, I'd definitely think, "I'd like to have those wrapped around me."

BLUE ORCHID
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a great trip just be careful and don't wander out of the tourist area.

Orchid

Eryn
04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Since Cancun is a very touristy zone and the local economy greatly depends on it, I would think that you would be safe there. However, I would ask the hotel if they recommend that you take a radio taxi (call taxi company and they send one to pick you up) Mexico City is another situation completely and I would always recommend that you take a radio taxi everywhere because everyone, locals and foreigners get robbed by the some taxi drivers and their cohorts in crime. Enjoy your stay and make sure you get some great beach pics to share.

I'm not sure if "radio" and "sitio" are getting mixed up here. "Sitio" taxis, the kind that gather at established taxi stands ("sitios") are reasonsably safe. Hailing a cab is not considered safe. Most hotels have a sitio right in front.

It's a shame that this is even a concern. 20 or even 10 years ago the only thing endangered by walking at night in Mexico was your figure, as the street vendors had an amazing variety of food to sample.

Here's the State Department's take on it:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

Fab Karen
04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
If you haven't watched the news, Mexico has been having a lot of killings by drug-lords- also kidnappings of people for ransom. I'd check local Mexico news before going- and I'd be nervous being out on a beach at midnight under those conditions, regardless of being a CD.

Duana
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
If you haven't watched the news, Mexico has been having a lot of killings by drug-lords- also kidnappings of people for ransom. I'd check local Mexico news before going- and I'd be nervous being out on a beach at midnight under those conditions, regardless of being a CD.

Yes, I'm very familiar with it since I live in Texas. These events are highly concentrated in the border towns, not tourist areas.

I was in Cancun 6 months ago and never felt unsafe. The hotel zone is on a long 'D' shaped causeway and there are only 2 ways into it unless you have a boat. The Mexican police presence on that street is huge with a big police station in the center of the 5 mile strip. They know that any violence there is bad for the economy and so it is constantly patrolled by pickup trucks with 4-6 machine gun carrying policemen in the back. Now I would not venture into Cancun itself at night, dressed or not.

Barbara Dugan
04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
You are familiar with the area ,I think it will be safe at almost any place during the day , at night I believe there must be some Tg friendly places, someome must know about it

Cindi Johnson
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I've been there and must say the resort area is more American than many areas of Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. I don't think you'll have at problem at night, but be careful during the daylight (the sun there is wicked; a bad sunburn will wreck your vacation). I'd also suggest Playa del Carmen, about 50 km south; it's smaller and has a more authentic Mexican ambiance. Have fun!!

Eryn
04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I'd also suggest Playa del Carmen, about 50 km south; it's smaller and has a more authentic Mexican ambiance.

I stayed in Playa del Carmen something like 25 years ago. There was one motel with all the rooms opening right onto the white sand (cool on the feet) beach. Paradise on Earth!

Now there are multiple giant resort hotels and I doubt that much Mexican ambiance remains.

Presh GG
04-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Hi Duana,
Please don't dress and leave the compound of your hotel.
I'm really sorry to have to say that . I've seen some terrible things.

I lived in central Mexico several months a year for 20+ years until 2 years ago.

By the way 2 people were gunned down in the parking lot of a Matatlan hotel a couple weeks ago and 2 policemen were killed as they sat in their car outside a major hotel. Both of these were in mid day and there have been quite a few more, so it's not just bourder towns right now.

If you do decide to go , dressed or not , never walk the beach [ sand ] at night. The Mexicans will tell you that.... it's just not save. The Malicon however will be safer.

Oh and your girlfriend is LatinA [ o is male ] :)

Presh GG

Duana
04-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Please don't dress and leave the compound of your hotel.
I'm really sorry to have to say that . I've seen some terrible things.

If you do decide to go , dressed or not , never walk the beach [ sand ] at night. The Mexicans will tell you that.... it's just not save. The Malicon however will be safer.

Oh and your girlfriend is LatinA [ o is male ] :)

Hi Presh,

Thank you for your advice. I think I'm committed to doing it but as safely as possible, meaning taxi's directly to our locations. We will not be walking the streets at night.

As for the beaches at night, we're going to stay very near the hotel but this one is my GFs fantasy and we're going to do it. We took many midnight strolls last trip and didn't encounter any problems. In fact, we didn't encounter anyone at all.

About the Latino vs Latina, I understand the masculine vs feminine aspect of the language. I won't say I speak Spanish, but I get by. I probably have a 500+ word vocabulary, having spent dozens of weeks in Colombia and Peru, as well as my GF.

But, Latino always confused me because I've heard her refer to herself as Latino so I'm never sure which to use. In any event, yes, she is 100% hot-blooded, sexy as hell Peruana.

I'd also suggest Playa del Carmen, about 50 km south; it's smaller and has a more authentic Mexican ambiance.

We're not really interested in Mexican ambiance. I get that here. I live in Texas after all LOL! We're interested in beautiful beaches and night life. Cancun has that, though Play del Carmen is certainly beautiful.

Billie Jean
04-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I have been to Cancun a few years ago. I didn't dress but wore shorts and sandals. My legs were shaved and my toenails red. Nobody even gave me a second look. The locals were friendly and almost all of them spoke English. I never saw anyone who was cross dressed. Billie Jean

Fab Karen
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
But, Latino always confused me because I've heard her refer to herself as Latino so I'm never sure which to use.

If referring to herself, she'd say Latina. Referring to a general category of people she'd say Latino. The best advice is to refer to her as hermosa mujere. :)

Duana
04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
If referring to herself, she'd say Latina. Referring to a general category of people she'd say Latino. The best advice is to refer to her as hermosa mujere. :)

Oh I know that one as well as mi amor, mi vida, mi cielo, mi preciosa reina. LOL.

As for latino, We discussed this and she concurs with what you said.

In other news, I bought a nice Jean skirt, shorts and flip-flops for my trip. :)

Denise Somers
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Duana,

My wife is from Mexico and I have traveled extensively there. Cancun could be considered to be generally safe but the midnight walk on the beach may not be a good idea. She and I were in Bogota in November and Colombia is way safer than Mexico and many Americans just don't realize how great it is because it was only recently that the security situation was improved to the point of attracting lots of foreign investment and that's how you know it has changed. There was lots of hotel construction going on in central Bogota and the city is pushing to get back into the fold by opening a subway system by 2016. I rode their efficient bus system and was impressed. Colombians are among the best educated and tolerant people in South America, if not the world,and I never questioned my security once. We were also in Peru and Brazil. Lima is large and quite inviting. Rio de Janeiro is amazingly clean in the beach and downtown areas and much safer than you may realize.We were also in Curitiba, which is as safe as most Canadian cities, as well as Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre. Somehow we missed Sao Paulo which does have issues but it is attacking crime in a huge way. After all Rio is preparing for the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016. Its nightlife and tolerance for other lifestyles is the best in Latin America. Back to Mexico, the situation of traveling around Mexico by road is much changed from the 1970's or 1980's. Even though it is patently illegal to carry a gun without a military permit in Mexico I would deem one an idiot for not doing so in this day and age if you are traveling beyond the immediate border area. I'd rather have it and not need it than the alternative. That's my take on it but it comes from many years of firsthand experience.

Denise S.

~Trudy~
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Now, my experience is out-of-date, being from the mid 90's, but I feel like writing so here it is. We got out of Cancun as fast as possible and went south to Tulum where there were far fewer tourists and development hadn't started at all. I heard that it isn't the same at all now. BUT, one thing we were warned about was the extreme conservatism of the local people, and I would expect that wouldn't change over a couple of decades. Nudity on the beach was strictly prohibited, and there was a strong conservative religious overtone everywhere. I would think that crossdressing in actual Mexico would be pretty dangerous if you didn't feel like you could talk your way out of a sticky situation. Cancun though, is probably a different story, since people say it isn't really Mexico at all.