PDA

View Full Version : Ever confess to a stranger?

Philipa Jane
04-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last week I found myself talking to a complete strange on a random subject which eventually got around to depression.

My passenger was a nurse who had worked in mental institutions as well as in normal health care.

We were just comparing stresses and strains of our jobs.

I spoke in vague terms of my last two years and felt towards the end of the journey (some 35 minutes) that I could tell this person that I was a CD. This happened as I was getting paid for the journey. (Taxi driver for those that don’t know)

I did think it would be just a quick explanation but she was genuinely interested so we chatted for some minutes longer.

I actually ended up with a tip as to where many other CDs buy their makeup. And here was me thinking that we all went to the big stores.

Perhaps Portia Honey may know of this pharmacy and let me know. (Finch’s Pharmacy)

It was probably because I will never see this person again that made me so forthright.

Has anybody else done something like this?
PJ

donnatracey
04-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Well, when I bought a wig last year at a local shop I had to come clean.....:o The SA was very professional and helpful and I will definitely go back when I need to buy a new one. Still amazed that I was able to do that......

Cari
04-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Yes It feels good to speak openly, and its easier with a stranger.

I have done this at conventions in the hotel bar, or the morning after a nite out.
What was really neat is the strangers were asking questions that friends never would.

I have also been travelling and found the courage to admit Im a CD when it comes up in conversation or another CD walks by.
Im getting braver close to home; but its much easier when you are away and with strangers.

sandra-leigh
04-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Far easier for me to keep track of the people who do not know by now. :D

There isn't any point in denying anything when I'm doing my errands or attending an appointment or traveling to or from work in a skirt or dress.

noeleena
04-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Hi,

I dont confess ,

Its more about letting people know of my difference & yes at invited meetings , strangers many of & friends have no problems asking ,

You can disarm people with a smile you are then on thier level for the time you are with them & i have made many many friends ,

& even forums that are not trans related . my name & my pics. & yes its neat,

...noeleena...

Kate Simmons
04-06-2011, 05:49 AM
I've never seen the need to do that.I've just as much right being myself as anyone else.:)

Cynthia Anne
04-06-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't need to confess! If a stranger see me, the evidence is clear!

Samantha Scott
04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
I am the same way with most things in my life, I don't think I have to explain anything I do to anyone (except maybe my wife if I'm wearing her favourite dress that she wanted to wear out) as long as it isn't harming anyone. If I go shopping I just mention to the SA that I am after something for myself and let them draw their own conclussions.

Angie G
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
No I never did. And won't. :hugs:
Angie

Kathi Lake
04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Like Sandra, there seem to be more people (strangers, mostly) that know Kathi than those that don't. :)

It's probably the 'stranger' aspect that emboldens me. Sure, like Philipa, I 'feel them out' to see if they would even be marginally accepting, and if so, I let it fly.

For the most part, it's been good. I have been met with everything from awed pleasure to half-interested acceptance. Yes, there have been times where I have had negative responses. Once on a plane, after showing pictures of Kathi to a young woman, she complimented me on my shoes, but said, "Why in the heck would any guy want to dress up as a woman? Are you gay or something?" opened her magazine, and tuned me out for the rest of the trip. But, I'll never see this woman again, so nothing lost.

Kathi

Anne2345
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Uh, no. And no. Did I mention no? If not, then no. However, I have just recently begun receiving pedicures from a solo practitioner nail salon owner, and although I have not admitted to her that I am a full blown CDer, it must be pretty obvious that something is going on when I show up with shaved legs and pick, for example, OPI's Kinky in Helsinki color for my toes. Lol! :) I will admit, though, that it has been quite a cathartic experience to share at least that part of myself with another person out in the wild. I view this differently, however, because my intent is to cultivate and develop a long standing client relationship with her. I can certainly understand it must be a great feeling to speak openly about it with another like that, so kudos for being able to do it!

Stephanie Miller
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Right off the top of my head, I can think of Sandy.... Opps. Wait a minute. She turned out to be a friend, so I guess she's no longer a stranger. But there was ..... nope. Also turned out to be a freind. Cripes. Come to think of it - quite a few have turned out that way. :D
Although I did call up a realtor out of the blue last week, that I notice had a "Rainbow Flag" on her advertising ad. I said I would like to have coffee with her. I expressed as a CD I felt I could be one of the few construction people she could refer to her LGBT clients who would have more understanding and compassion than the typical Neanderthal construction workers out there for remodels and new builds.
So technically she is a stranger right now. Future friend? Hope so.

Rogina B
04-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Some of us confess everytime we go shopping!If there is a need,I tell the SA or store owner that"it's for me"...no big deal...And,if you are happy with shopping there,you don't have to a second time..If you want to enjoy being out and about,you have to have a thick skin anyway.

Babeba
04-08-2011, 09:40 AM
When my best friend came out as gay, he chose friends that were fairly distant and didn't matter if he lost, first. Then, he moved on to telling those of us who were closer. It really helped to build up his confidence that he had people he could rely on for support if something happened. He told my mom before he told his own, and I think it was partly to sound out the waters and partly so that he still would have someone around that age he could turn to for advice and comfort if things went badly with his own parents (it was fairly rocky for the first few months, but they pretty much got over it - I'm not certain his dad isn't convinced it was just a 'thing' and he'll end up with a girl someday, but he loves his son and everyone kind of accepts his dad for being a bit of a doofus sometimes anyway.)

I think that for other big lifetime secrets, it may be something similar - it's easier to share it with the strangers first, because they really don't matter. It's a short acquaintance you'll never see again unless facebook gets involved, and then you'll be on your way. If it helps someone feel confident in being themselves around others they are closer to, that's even better!

Sharon B.
04-08-2011, 05:18 PM
The only stranger I ever have told was a sales associate at a woman's store when she asked about the woman I was shopping for and I told her the items were for myself.
She even offer me a dressing room to try on the items, I'm sure when she walked past she could see my toenail with nail polish on them and nylons on, she told me to come back anytime. I am planning on going there in a couple of weeks again, walk in there in drab with under things on and walk out there wearing a dress or a skirt and top on.

k lynn
04-09-2011, 05:41 AM
only to sales asociates when asked dont like to lie if one sees my bra strap they know no big deal anymore you like me or you dont no big deal

LeannL
04-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Well, I guess I have told a few strangers other than SAs. There was the eye doctor and her entire staff that I had never gone to before and that I went dressed for my appointments. There was the hair cut I got at the mall - well the natural hair under my wig while dressed in a jean skirt. Then there are several hotel clerks I have told. Lastly, there was the charity dinner I went to put on by a lesbian group in Boston but I guess they are part of our larger family and may not count.

Leann

Yolanda_Voils
04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
On a drive-thru at Wendy's I told the girl that I liked her hair and that I had a wig the same color.

She said that her "Wife" liked the color too, it's the same as my pic.

Anyway, we met inside at her suggestion and making a long story shorter, I came back with my pictures.

She lookd at them, then me, back and forth several times and said she couldn't belive the difference,, but on careful study she could tell that it was, barely.. :D

We carried on for quite a while, I'd drop by with newer pics from time to time and we'd talk about her wife and my g/f etc.

Nice chance meeting of someone to chat with, and all of this in my neighborhood where I NEVER go dressed..

Philipa Jane
04-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks to all that read this and put in replies.
I did find that one or two used the word "confession" which brings to mind some kind of guilt complex.
I also did not think that admitting to a SA that items were for you was quite the same as sitting and having a conversation where you reveal your other personality.
Please don't think I am being disrespectful to anyone, that is not my intention.
I just wondered how many of us had truly opened up and had a proper conversation with a stranger.
Thanks again.
PJ

Micayla
04-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Last month I was given 2 gift certificates for massage from my lovely wife.I booked them a week apart at 10 am.The salon is a real classy place where I instantly felt comfortable.The masseuse was a very pretty single mom who really knew how to give therapeutic massage.She kept up a quiet playful banter during the first hours visit and made me really fell relaxed.I was down to a pair of what i believed where obviously feminine black briefs and felt for sure she could tell from the Lacey band they where nothing but womens.
The following week I wore lavender silky/lace brief and was a little surprised when she was tucking in the warm blankets before starting the massage and gave a little "ohh".I chuckled and said I was sorry but thought she knew from last time.:brolleyes: So we started an hour long conversation about wearing panties , cross-dressing and sex in general.She was as open a person as I have ever met and said how it could be fun for a girl to have panty boy.She did sneak a peak at my undies and asked about my wife's acceptance or not.All in all it was almost too relaxed to be real but it most certainly was.I will be back and will push my boundaries more because of my encounter with this lovely lady.

Micayla

Sarah Doepner
04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Yep, for the first time just the other day as I stopped at the cosmetic counter in the department store in a city I don't live in. It was the only way I could finally get a good color match for my foundation, so I told the woman what I wanted and why. She went to work and it was very comfortable knowing that I would probably not see her again, at least until I go back to that city. When I do, I'll be sure to dress and do my makeup the best I can before I go in to thank her for the professional way she handled it.

Philipa Jane
04-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Alright this is what I had in mind about confessing to a stranger.
Thanks Kathi and Micayla.

Quote from Babeba.
My thoughts exactly.
I think that for other big lifetime secrets, it may be something similar - it's easier to share it with the strangers first, because they really don't matter. It's a short acquaintance you'll never see again unless facebook gets involved, and then you'll be on your way. If it helps someone feel confident in being themselves around others they are closer to, that's even better!