PDA

View Full Version : Expensive but great day

Richelle
04-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I do not the opportunity to get out as Richelle very often. So when my wife decided to go to a charity fashion show and luncheon I had the time to get dressed, and get out to do some shopping.

I had been thinking about a new hair style for some time. I have always had long, curly reddish hair. I thought it time for a change to a more up to date style and a more natural color to go with my skin tones. So off to a local wig store. The help there was great. I was treated very professionally. She listened to what I was thinking about, brought out several different styles and colors. We talked about how each one looked and how it fit with my facial features. We decided on a dark blond with reddish tones and highlights. The cut is a great bob that is just off my shoulders has bangs and frames my face perfectly. That was the expensive part.

The great part was when I was trying on outfits at Dress Barn. I was treated like any other women there and received positive feed back on the outfits. The best part however, was when I looked in the mirror. For the first time in a really long time, I really liked the way I looked. I did not see a guy in the mirror wearing make up and a dress but saw a nice looking middle aged women. That was a wonderful feeling.:)

Richelle

StaceyJane
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Isn't that a wonderful feeling...To look in a mirror and really see yourself.

FAVORITE HEELS
04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I think i need to visit a local wig store as well.The mail internet thing is a real risky adventure.Looking at your inner gurly self in the mirror is a fantastic feeling for sure.I like to consider it a visit from a very dear freind evertime I admire my outfit and makeup.You look very natural. I am so jealous!Something for me to strive for.

Cynthia Anne
04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
The mirror doesn't lie! If a beautiful lady looks in the mirror there will be a beautiful lady looking back out!

rachaelsloane
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
We all need to update our hairstyles and sounds like yours was a real winner. Can't wait to see pics. I don't think the expense part is really important as how we feel when finished shopping and see we were correct in our choices. Did your wife like your new hairstyle?
The best,
Rachael

Richelle
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
We all need to update our hairstyles and sounds like yours was a real winner. Can't wait to see pics. I don't think the expense part is really important as how we feel when finished shopping and see we were correct in our choices. Did your wife like your new hairstyle?
The best,
Rachael

Rachael,

My wife is not supportive, so she does not know about my new hairstyle.

Richelle

tswansio
04-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Went to a wig shop at the mall with my wife. I tried them on in drab and she picked one. It was only $60. I had 2 wigs purchased on line previously. What a difference. The one she picked while seeing it on me definitely made me more passable. Enough so that after buying herself a wig she took me out to a hotel bar for a drink when usually she would sit in the car while I filled the tank or sent me in for a coke.

Definitely buy a wig in person. The Oriental lady asked my wife why and my wife just told her we like to play around. The sales lady was very helpful and she ended up with 2 sales in the end.

Kaz
04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Richelle,

I totally understand the feeling. You look in the mirror and you see "you". I have tried a few hair styles and I am really happy with what I have now.. and I get good feedback on it. Some other styles just do not work... even though I wish that they would... I guess this is about getting older?

I keep taking photos of me in the longer wig... it never works as well...

It is about finding "you"... your identity...

PretzelGirl
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
There can't be anything better than looking in the mirror and seeing the real you. It is very nice that you were able to go for a style update and hit it from the beginning. Very nice.

darla_g
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I've done the store thing buying a wig in the past and was not really happy. Now I think i will buy all my wigs off eBay.

Paula Siemen
04-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I've bought wigs in a store before and proprietor was very kind and helpful. Asked what I thought I wanted in style and color and directed mr to several options. Then set me up in a room to try them on and see how they looked. I think over a period of time I bought 3 maybe 4 wigs from her. All named brands like Raquel Welch and others I don't remeber now, but all good wigs. I spent from $40 (cleance price) to $100 on each. Great experience.

But if you are looking for budget priced wigs, PaulaYoung.com can not be beat. I've bought several from the web site too. Biggest problem is color. Its hard to get an exact feel for the color and you can't really tell how they fit your face shape, etc. on the internet. The prices more than make up for this however. Usually $30 to $60 more most wigs, more for others. I did end up with two that the color was just not right for me...couldn't get out of the house in either one. So I took them to a local CD club meeting having only worn either of them a very short time and sold them to a sister at only a slight loss.

I highly recommend PaulaYoung.com, or the web site of the first boutique, Wigs.com

Nothing feels sexier than an new wig.

tswansio
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
It was great that my wife went with me. She determined the color and style that she thought made me passable enough to be seen with her at a hotel lounge.

sissystephanie
04-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Richelle, you do look extremely feminine in your avatar! I am jealous! Sorry your wife is not supportive. I told my late wife that I was a CD when I proposed to her and she totally accepted me. We had almost 50 happy years together before cancer took her! The really bad thing for me is that she always fixed my wig and did my makeup so Stephanie could go out in public! I am very bad with both things, so now I just go out dressed, but looking like the guy that I am!! Been doing it for several years now, and don't have any problems! Very glad that you like your new wig!! Bet you are beautiful with it on!!