PDA

View Full Version : Red Shoes

Elizabeth Ann
04-12-2011, 10:29 AM
I want to thank the "militant" faction of crossdressers.com (not in the sense of being violent, but rather the unapologetic assertions of the simple right to wear these clothes).

Friday, April 1, my wife had a social function, and on a spur of the moment, I took the opportunity to go out. She tolerates the crossdressing, but we are one of those don't ask, don't tell couples. I hadn't planned anything, but reading some of the stories on this site emboldened me. I don't pass, and decided just to get dressed and go to a mall about 30 minutes away.

I was wearing a maroon top with a lacy neckline, brown women' pants, and some red pumps with 2 inch heels. I stuffed my wallet, keys and phone into the pockets of a light jacket. How do women do without pockets? No wig, makeup, etc. I thought I was discrete and tasteful, but definitely a guy in women's clothes if you looked at me.

As I window shopped, I could just detect some reactions. Then some teenage girls started following at a distance, trying to get a photo with their cell phone. So, I just stopped and one got bold enough to get close and take a photo. She asked if this was an "April fools gag." When I shook my head no, she got very big eyed and ran away! Some teenage boys started trying to do the same, but before I could accommodate them, a couple approached. The woman then asked if they could get a shot of the two of us in our red shoes, so we posed together! One of the boys took the opportunity to get close, took a photo, and then actually said "thank you."

It was a positive experience overall, and I really believe many of the smiles were of encouragement, and I didn't mind entertaining the rest. I never would have done this if not for the man-in-a-skirt stories on this site. Thank you.

Liz

Deana ♥ Danni
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi Liz,

I am glad you had a positive experience :) It is sweet to hear of others being able to accept :)

Deana ♥ Danni

Amanda22
04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Liz, you handled it better than I would have, which is a real credit to you. That's really rude to follow you through the mall and try to sneak photos. You're quite tolerant.

Julogden
04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Good for you Elizabeth! Back when I used to go to Tri Ess meetings, which were always held in a local hotel, some of us would go to the hotel lounge and socialize with each other and some of the hotel guests after the meeting, and during our walk through the hotel, it was fairly common for people to sneak photos of us after we passed by them, and they never asked permission, which I felt was rude. Of course, this was more than a couple decades ago, and people are a bit better educated regarding us now, so we are better tolerated and less likely to be treated rudely.

Carol

TGMarla
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
You have something in your brain makeup that I guess I either don't have, or it's not very developed. I probably pass better than some, if not most, yet I still have trouble going out. My hands are a dead give away, and I'm real self-concious of them when dressed. But unless you're looking close, you'd probably think I was a woman. Still, I just have not been able to get past it all and venture out very much. I've been out two or three times, and that's all. But you? Everyone around you had a "look at the freak show!" mind set, and you not only stepped up to the plate, but you connected and hit one out of the yard. Props to you!

Cynthia Anne
04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Elizabeth Ann your touching story is heartwarming and encouragement to many of us! Thank you! I hope you have many more great adventures! Hugs!

Debra Russell
04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Elizabeth I too as Marla says just dont have the mind set and commend you on your adventure !! I think I pass well (please let me know if my imagination is just working overtime) and go out dressed as often as I can but I just could not get up the "cahones" to go out unless I felt completly at ease with my self -- you surely made a statement, besides just being a positive expierence it sounded like you had fun besides.....Huggs Debra

Elizabeth Ann
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
You have something in your brain makeup that I guess I either don't have, or it's not very developed. I probably pass better than some, if not most, yet I still have trouble going out. My hands are a dead give away, and I'm real self-concious of them when dressed. But unless you're looking close, you'd probably think I was a woman. Still, I just have not been able to get past it all and venture out very much. I've been out two or three times, and that's all. But you? Everyone around you had a "look at the freak show!" mind set, and you not only stepped up to the plate, but you connected and hit one out of the yard. Props to you!

Marla, that is very sweet of you to say that, but I really don't think I encountered a "look at the freak show" mindset. Perhaps I am just naive or obtuse (my wife says subtlety is not my strong suit), but I think what I felt was more of a mindset of, "here is an odd individual, maybe a little amusing, but a person deserving basic human respect."

I am sure there were snickers and rude remarks outside of my hearing, but the point is that they were outside of my hearing. And, yes, I was a curiosity, but it seemed to me that everyone tried not to offend me. Even being surreptitious about photos can be viewed, I think, as concern about my feelings. I really thought it was a live and let live attitude. After all, I would probably have stared at me in that outfit.

Liz

t-girlxsophie
04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I think we all have to develop a blinkers approach when we are out,A lot of negativity will be found,once you have passed the person,out of sight out of mind.Elizabeth Ann you dealt with everything that came your way with dignity and it sounds like overall,you enjoyed your experience.
Regarding the taking of pics,I recall my friend and I being asked by a cpl of German tourists in Edinburgh,if they could take our pictures,we agreed and they went away delighted,Mind you god knows where the pics ended up next lol

Sophie

Diane Smith
04-13-2011, 12:17 AM
In one of my all time favorite quotations, Coco Chanel said, "It's impossible to have a bad day when you're wearing red shoes." I think you just proved it!

- Diane

VioletJourney
04-13-2011, 12:43 AM
It sounds like you were a hit out in public, even if some people didn't like it.

How do women do without pockets?

Handbags!