PDA

View Full Version : wig advice

frilly1
09-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I need some advice on wig styles. My head size is large so what styles would look nice and which ones to stay away from. Any recommendations of wigs that are made with large cap size? :confused:

thanx.
lov you all,
frilly1

britney1
09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I recently purchased a wig and I have a big head with a round face (look at my pics) I went with a medium length wig and I think I looks ok.

GypsyKaren
09-27-2005, 04:12 PM
I can tell you that Paula Young has many styles in a large size. Their prices are great and you can't beat their customer service.

GypsyKaren

Maddie Knight
09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
The best thing to do is to go to a proper wig shop.
They know exactly which style will suit your face.
Also they get many cd customers so they are very understanding and discret.

Lisa Marie
09-27-2005, 06:43 PM
frilly try www.beautytrends.com they have some wigs that are in a large size. Angela

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-27-2005, 09:44 PM
The selection in large wigs can be a bit limited, but unless you've got a really giantic head, you can probably fit an average-sized wig -- you just need to undo the side straps. I've got a pretty large head and I pull the straps completely out of their loops and just tuck them upwards.

As Maddie said, the best thing to do is to go to a wig shop, although you may want to look online and see which brands appeal to you (some are trendier than others and also some brands have nicer color blends), so that you can find a shop that carries them. Here's (http://www.geocities.com/sktb888/Wig_SupportFAQ.html#B20) a good rundown on various brands.

Since it's almost October, if you've got a female hairstylist you could tell her you're planning to go in drag for Halloween and ask her what styles would look good if you were girl.

Otherwise, the website for Raquel Welch wigs (http://www.hairuwear.com/csig/consumer/rw/rw01_01.html) has a nice feature where there are icons that show which wigs work well with particular facial shapes.

Raquel Welch also has got some written tips for which hairstyles work well on different faces and if you seach for "hair style face shape", you can find hairstyling sites with similar info.

To figure out your facial shape, look into a mirror and use a lipstick to mark dots on the mirror that correspond to the sides of your temples, cheekbones, jaw and chin. (FYI, you're unlikely to be "pear faced" unless you've got serious bloodhound jowls and true round faces are also rare because the height and width have to be almost the same.) It also helps to step back and look at a mirror from 10-15 feet away, which lets you see the overall shape better. Until I did this, I got faked out by my baby cheeks, which made me doubt that I was really a rectangular face.

One thing to be aware of is that as a guy, you may have a much broader face than a typical wig model. That and your large head, may cause the wig to be slightly shorter than it appears in the photos -- which can be a problem if you're looking at a chin-length style like a bob.

Colorwise, it's best to get a wig that's got more than one color in it -- it will look much more natural. These will often have two numbers divided by a slash. You'll also see letters indicating that a wig has highlights, roots or tips. All of these are good things, since it looks more natural. As far as which color, it's safest to stay within a shade or two of your natural color. And trust me few CDs can pull off blonde -- even me and I'm naturally dark blonde. The main thing to be aware of is the tone of the wig needs to match you skin tone. I've got warm skin tones, so I need warm colors, and that means I can actually go into the reds quite nicely.

Do not try to figure out a color from looking at color swatches online. There's too many variables for the color to be accurate. The only reliable way to see colors is to "rent" a color ring from a wig shop. (They'll typically sell it you and let you return it for store credit, so be sure it's somewhere you plan to buy.) It's still a bit of a challenge, sort of like looking a paint chip and trying to imagine the color the whole room will be.

That said, Wig Salon (http://www.wigsalon.com/colorchart.html) seems to have good written descriptions in addition to samples for many brands and that can helpful in narrowing down potential colors. Also, the numbering system used is loosely an industry standard, so for example #12 is usually a pecan brown -- a light ashy (i.e. cool) brown. When you see longer 4 or 5-digit color numbers, it usually means it's a blended color and you can guess at the blending by pulling apart the numbers. This can be helpful in guessing the color if a particular brand doesn't have a particularly descriptive name for that color. But as I said earlier, the only way to truly judge a color is to see it on the wig or color ring.

Pricewise, a quality wig will usually cost $70-80 and up (longer = more expansive). The cheap wigs you see below that price (often on lingerie sites) will usually look like a cheap wig. You may be able to find better prices on eBay and on close-out sales, but I'd stick to quality brands (which are listed in the site I mentioned earlier). Unless you're bald, you don't need to spent extra money on a "monofiliament" wig, which are usually twice as expensive. They're intended for cancer patients who've lost all their hair and the different construction looks better against bare scalp. If you're bald, I'd ask the wigshop whether it's worth it.

A wig is highly visible, so it's worth investing the money to get something that looks good.

Good online shops include Wig Salon (see above) and Wilshire Wigs (http://www.wilshirewigs.com), which is a huge retailer/wholesaler, who does a bit of business with TG clients, and other folks probably have their recommendations. You'll get better service from an in-person wig salon, but you might try emailing the online retailers and see if you can get advice, perhaps emailing them a photo and getting some recommendations. Wig retailers are extremely discrete since their GG customers usually hate for anyone to know they're wearing a wig.

Happy shopping.

frilly1
09-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks everyone and special thanks to Darla for taking time for me. Great advice!

Rainbow6562005
09-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi, Frilly,

There is at least one site online that you can try on wigs of all kinds on your monitor. I think one just puts up a photo of self on the screen, then downloads different wigs.
Unfortunately , after trying to find its address a second time for someone, I was unsuccessful.

Good luck in finding what you want.

Rainbow :)