PDA

View Full Version : Who and why?

MissBobbi
04-15-2011, 09:41 AM
So I was wondering who actually decides that a certain article of clothing is male or female? Who decides for example a dress is for women only?

Centuries ago tights were worn by men. Why not anymore? Did someone all of a sudden say "hey men shouldn't wear this anymore!" and everybody just complied?

Who influences our choice of clothing? The majority of people around us? Why does a majority get to make the decisions?

Anyway I've probably been thinking way too much for a friday afternoon lol! :daydreaming:

Cynthia Anne
04-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I can see clearly that your not referring to the 'jockstrap or the bra'!

Pythos
04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I think it is that thing that Orwell warned of. Group think. This is one reason I dislike jeans. Everyone and their uncle wears them.

Tights may have fallen out of favor due to the more "rugged" lifestyles working men faced. Tights also were NOT comfortable then. They were not stretchy like the ones we have now.

It is my belief that if lycra existed in the beginning days of the industrial revolution, jeans would not have become the clothing of the working man, instead it would likely have been tights, or catsuits. Reason? No drag along the limbs, freedom of movement. In those jobs freedom of movement is needed, and jeans as we all know drag on one's legs.

As to who makes the decisions? That is a good question. I think much was definitely royalty based, and with the industrial revolution, it was realized the aristocrats wore fancy and lacy clothing styles, so the workers pushed against that and started wearing dull clothing.

Now? It is just silly closed minded morons that support or make up the rules of what is male and female clothing :P

MargaretJ
04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
I blame the Victorians.

julia ann
04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
well the answer is very obvious, " THEY'' decided on what is male and female attire,THEY decided it was wrong for a male to wear female clothing, what I am still trying to figure out is why THEY decided it was okay for women to wear male attire. I must must have missed the memo THEY sent out when THEY held the vote on that one. I am always hearing THEY say this and THEY say that ,but I too can't figure out who THEY are!

Mary Morgan
04-16-2011, 04:44 AM
I agree with Julia, we need to find out where "THEY" are and replace them.

Kate Simmons
04-16-2011, 05:25 AM
The fashion industry generally sets the trends as to who wears what. Most folks wanting to be accepted generally follow suit by default. Individualism is not the standard in this day and age, too much work for a lot of people.:)

Rogina B
04-16-2011, 07:10 AM
The fashion industry generally sets the trends as to who wears what. Most folks wanting to be accepted generally follow suit by default. Individualism is not the standard in this day and age, too much work for a lot of people.:)

That is why we have the "gender police" to keep us on track. I will continue on my own course as well as I don't need "them" to tell me what to wear.

JamieG
04-16-2011, 07:48 AM

I don't think this true. If you pay attention to runway shows, the fashion industry periodically attempts to trot out the idea of skirts and leggings for men, and this is met with a resounding thud. The fact is, most men think that being girly is a bad thing, so they refuse to wear anything that might be remotely feminine.

noeleena
04-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi,

So now we know who ...THEY ... are, do THEY tell me what to wear. puting it nicely well no they dont Ill wear what i b,,,,,,y well wont to & when i wont to they do not dictate to me so really , THEY dont exist,

Now what were we talking about oh yes the weather,.

The point is if you wont to follow thier fashons hey thats cool if not wear what ever fits you & who are we dressing for in the first place our selfs or really to keep warm ,

tho may be not over your way for now ,

its wet & cold over here

...noeleena,,,

Emme
04-16-2011, 08:12 AM
I just checked into a campground as Emme. I had warned them I was coming. They were very sweet.
In the checking chat it was mentioned about different life styles. I told the women at the counter I was attending a cross dressing meeting Sat night. One woman said "I don't guess it is any different than those men who dress as union and confederate soldiers, sleep in white tents and pretend to shoot each other the next day". Then she added I get called sir all the time. Everyone was very nice. My campground neighbors greeted me with dignity and friendliness.
'I guess they were as friendly as anyone would want to be with a 6'-4" woman! LOL

dawnmarrie1961
04-16-2011, 10:55 AM
I imagine there is some council of old ancient male-elders sitting in a dimly lit chamber pouring over the latest issue of "Fashion Weekly".
"That's definately male trappings."Says the one old fart to the other.
"Nay!"Shakes the head of the other,"I fancy I might look nice in that outfit."
The first elder laughs. "In your dreams!"