PDA

View Full Version : Visit to the Library

Wendy_Marie
04-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Therapy went well with my new therapist yesterday and I came out thinking that this had been time well spent. Since I was feeling very good about myself overall, so good in fact that I ended up not coming straight home but made a quick stop off at the Library I use frequently just take a lap around the book stacks and see how well my presence there was received.
When I first arrived I felt confident and ready to go but a look in the mirror revealed my lipstick very thin in places and my hair was a little wind blown so I took the time to correct these things before going inside. As I sat there I noticed several persons going in and out and despite the fact the parking lot was less than full, it was obvious that the Library was busy as there was still a good amount of foot traffic. Seeing all this gave me a reason to pause for a minute and I began rethinking my desire to go inside and almost chickened out as I began feeling a little nervous. At one point I thought the heck with this and I started up my car and started to leave, then I suddenly felt the nerves subsiding and I steeled my courage and turned the cars ignition off, grabbed my purse and climbed out of the car and made my way quickly towards the front door.
As I approached the building an older woman came walking out and hesitated long enough to hold the door for me…in my softest and girliest voice I said “Thank You” and walked on inside.
As I stepped across the threshold and into the interior of the building one of the Librarian’s looked up at me from the desk and smiled my way and I made no acknowledgement to her but instead made my way quickly towards the computer catalog systems at the center of the room.
I passed several tables of people as well as the information desk and a couple of others who were up and walking and no one seemed to take any undue notice of me so feeling my confidence rise a little more I found a vacant terminal and then just stood there for a moment my mind racing as I tried to think of a subject or book title I could look up to complete my little adventure for the day. I typed in cosmetics and even though no specific titles came up I walked away from the terminal and just began walking around the stacks looking at random books.
After walking around the third or fourth stack I happened to look up and noticed a woman sitting some distance away from me looking my way with this unsure look upon her face, as if she thought something looked suspicious but couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was. I stopped long enough to pull my cell phone out of my purse and to check and see what time it was…As I had wasted all the time I could and had somewhere to be I made my way slowly towards the front, out the door and to the car.
I drove to the location that I frequently use as a place to change and then on home with minutes to spare before the time I had set to pick up my wife for our next appointment. Overall, it was a good day.

This morning I had some work to get done which took me all morning and part of the afternoon...when I finally arrived back home my wife wanted to go out to eat dinner saying that she didn’t feel much like cooking. We discussed going everywhere from McDonalds to Red Lobster and settled on going to someplace we hadn’t been together before…Olive Garden. We were seated after a few minutes of waiting and had just ordered when I noticed a couple of women with a baby and all the necessary entrapments get up from a table and walking our way which happened to be towards the exit.
I immediately noticed something was amiss with the larger of the two women and as they came closer I saw a very neatly groomed transgender person wearing a very cute pantsuit, a pair of strappy sandals with a French pedicure and matching manicure. She looked as if she had just come from the salon as her hair looked freshly cut, colored awith some very nice highlights nd styled . She looked my way and seemingly knew that I had noticed her..as she approached closer she gave me a big smile to which I casually nodded to her and returned her smile.
I had to fight the urge to get up and greet her and tell her how happy it made me to see another sister out and about and enjoying the day, despite the rain which was falling outside…but instead I diverted my attention back to my wife who sat with me and respected this ladies privacy and under my breath said to her to have a great day.
Not often you see such things in this city...

Eryn
04-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Sounds like you had an excellent day, and your next visit to the library will probably be a bit calmer. You might try having a goal in mind before you go to eliminate that rushed need to find something to do.

As far as identifying our sisters, I'm apparently not very good at it. I might be able to get a 50% confidence level but there are a lot of GGs out there with some masculine-looking features. In any case I think you did the right thing by leaving the interaction at nodding and smiling.

Eryn