PDA

View Full Version : A nice outing

PretzelGirl
04-16-2011, 08:34 AM
And I don't mean a picnic...

Yesterday was my local Tri-Ess meeting. After the meeting, my wife and I headed for the local Village Inn for coffee which is a regular thing for us. This time we had a good friend of mine along that also went to our meeting, two sisters from the meeting, and my daughter who met us there. So six ladies having coffee.

After we got in a seated, my wife pointed out that two of our friends (a couple) who don't know about me were standing outside the door. So I told everyone at the table what was up so there was no surprises and if they came in, I was just going to sit there and let things take their course. I did start to get nervous about it as I am a naturally nervous person and my friend noted it and gave me a little bit of a hard time.

So in they come and of course they get seated past us and facing me. So they started the neck stretching and my wife being the wonderful person she is, went over and talked with the wife. When she came back, she told me I was out which I was sure of at that point and that everything was cool. So while I was debating on whether to go over there to talk (they were in a group of six, so there was others to consider), they got up and first the wife, then the husband came over and gave me a hug. When he went to hug me I said I wanted to be sure I wasn't making him uncomfortable hugging me and he said that this is who I am and that is cool. And hugged me a second time.

So this was my first outing that wasn't deliberate. So how is acceptance going? I keep hearing it should be tough in Utah, but I am up to 2-3 dozen accepting against none on the non-acceptance side.

Shoot, need another box of tissue.

Tina B.
04-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Sue, that's a nice evening! How sweet of your wife to take the lead when she went over to them. And that reception from your friends is precious.
Tina B.

Julogden
04-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Sue, that's a great story, thanks for sharing it with us! It's wonderful to hear of that much acceptance in a part of the country that has a obviously undeserved reputation for being less tolerant, just goes to show that we should ignore that sort of negative stereotyping. There are plenty of intolerant people in parts of the country, like here, that are supposedly more tolerant.

Carol

Kathi Lake
04-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Sue, it's not Utah that is the problem, it is us - our history, our expectations, our fears. Think back and I am sure you'll see - from the first experience to the last - that people who know us will almost always rally around us. Why? It has nothing to do with crossdressing, and everything to do with who we are. You're good people, Sue. People respond to that.

So, I'm glad that you had that wonderful experience. Here's to many more!

:)

Kathi

p.s. glad she finally made it to a meeting!

Maria in heels
04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Sue..that is a wonderful thing that happened...friends that show you that they are "true" friends...you must be elated !

AllieSF
04-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience Sue. I think that I might have shed a tear or more if that happened to me. Send them some flowers!

t-girlxsophie
04-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Sounds as perfect an experience that you could possibly have,And the reaction of your friends is to be applauded,thanks for sharing Sue

Sophie

PretzelGirl
04-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Carol and Kathi, it most certainly is true that Utah is not a problem. I will probably wave that banner for a long time because reputations, fair or not, are hard to overcome. And yes Kathi, I try and keep my glass half full, so I hope that I treat people in a good way so that I get that back in return. I believe that is one component in gaining acceptance.

Allie, I did shed some tears, luckily I was able to hold it until later when table discussions were over, I went out to the car, and I thought about it. That's when something got in my eye. :D

Tanya C
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Thank you Sue for a very uplifting story, it really made my day.
You're right about acceptance being all around us, and what a joyous occasion it is when an act of acceptance happens to you in such a touching way.

Tanya

Eryn
04-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Sue, that's a great story. In this world that is so often portrayed as crazy it is nice to know that the majority of people are reasonable and civil.