PDA

View Full Version : A good analogy for describing that CD'd feeling

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-28-2005, 12:50 AM
I finally hit on a good way of describing at least part of the feeling I get when dressed.

It's like the make-over show "What Not to Wear" in episodes where the fashion victim is someone who looks schlumpy and drab and generally like they've just given up on their appearence. Afterwards, aside from looking stylish, they generally look much happier and self-confident. A number actually comment on the fact that something seemingly as superficial as a make-over really did result in a major attitude change.

For me it's a similar feeling -- and probably especially so for those who unfortunately are really drab en drab. It was especially dramatic when I had my first professional make-over -- I literally had a hard time thinking the person in the mirror was me. The best way I can describe my feelings at that moment are the lyrics from West Side Story's "I Feel Pretty." I did feel pretty and witty and bright.

Rachael Warren
09-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Nice one Darla, I certainly fit the drab en drab description, it's difficult to look good when you hate the stuff.

Hugs, Rachael. :)

GypsyKaren
09-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Hi Darla,

I always wear woman's jeans, running shoes, and pantyhose when I'm in drab, and I find that it cheers me up quite a lot. Plus, I always have two earings in.
This way I always can feel feminine when I can only be Gypsy.

GypsyKaren

Sophia Rearen
09-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Darla,
Fine minds think alike. I was going to post the exact same thing. However, my take is that the feeling they have at the end of the show can be multiplied at least by ten for us crossdressers. I am going to tell my wife about this revelation as we enjoy watching both the english and US versions of the show. Perhaps she will be able to relate a little bit better.

jennifer easton
09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
To me it's like when your on a 2 week vacaton, you'ed had a great time , but when you get home, and you get all unpack and you can sit down in your ooold easy chair and that sigh of easyness comes over you and feeling every thing is right, thats what beeing Jennifer to me is
Jen in KC

JoAnnDallas
09-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Talking about "What Not to Wear", would it not be hoot, if someday the person they gave the makeover to was a CD.

JoAnn in Plano, TX

Billijo49504
09-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Sounds like I cool show, I'll have to set the tevo.

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-28-2005, 12:18 PM
It's a fun show and should be required viewing for CDs.

There's actually two versions -- the original British version, which shows up on BBC America (available on Directv, possibly others) and the TLC version. Both are worth watching, but if you can get the Brit version the GG are often older and stockier, so they bear more of a physical resemblence to your average CD.

Both shows will give you good tips, regardless of whether you like the specific results -- although I think both sets of stylists are excellent. (On the TLC show, be sure to observe what Clinton wears to get some ideas to de-drab your en homme self. Obviously, he's a fashionista, but you can take the ideas and tone them down as needed). The TLC version is a full hour, so they also show the haircut and make-up sessions, which also provide good info.

As far as the CD version, it would be fun, but I'm not holding my breathe. Although some of the girls here met Clinton at a mall promo and mentioned it -- and his response was that they didn't really need any make-over help. Don't know if he was being sweet or if he truly meant it (although I suspect he was given the state of the some of the fashion victims who appear on the show).

Happy viewing!

cd_isabelle
09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
hi girls,

i am looking to get my first full makeover and i cant wait.

i think i would be the same in that i would not believe the image in the mirror looking back at me but i think it does have an effect on you in that you can become happier if you look good and certainly more self confident.

if anyone has any advice about seeking out a first full makeover, please feel free to contact me as i would love your help.

kisses,

cd_isabelle

Imogen_Mann
09-29-2005, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE=Darla Dahlstrom]

if you can get the Brit version the GG are often older and stockier, so they bear more of a physical resemblence to your average CD.

[QUOTE]

How dare you call Trinny and Suzanna Older and Stockier !!! :D

I'm kidding of course, but to be honest, they do represent a BIG chunk of the population over here who seem to think that 30 is the correct age to get old, look frumpy and start wearing jacket and trouser sets with a brooch and matching handbag rather than skirts and anything ...well.... nice. BELIEVE me on this. My sister is 37, she dresses like a 50 year old. Personally En Drab, I still wear much the same as I wore at 17, 20, 25 etc... not to drabby, but not mainstream fashion either.

XX

Jayme

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-29-2005, 02:44 AM
but to be honest, they do represent a BIG chunk of the population over here who seem to think that 30 is the correct age to get old, look frumpy and start wearing jacket and trouser sets with a brooch and matching handbag rather than skirts and anything ...well.... nice.

I think one of the happiest/saddest episodes was one of their recent hour-long ones where there was one 45-year-old who honestly looked like she was a retiree... (http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/what_not_to_wear/what_not_to_wear_s4_ep5.jsp) (Quoth Helle's sister: "I think she has sunk into what I would describe as a grey morass of sort of dog-haired covered yuck." :eek: -- I thought you Brits were supposed to be ever-so polite. ;) )

As far Susannah, how could I not love a woman who describes herself -- like me -- as having "chins that are breeding." :D

Incidently, both the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifestyle/tv_and_radio/what_not_to_wear/index.shtml) and BBC America (http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/what_not_to_wear/what_not_to_wear.jsp) websites have lots of useful tips from the shows. Look under the episode guides.