PDA

View Full Version : Why Crossdress? An Alternate Theory

StaceyS
04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I was combing the Internet trying to understand my own issues and I stumbled upon a possibly new explanation for at least some sexual identity issues. This theory explains the drive to cross dress in at least some people as the result of a fairly simple but typically hidden deficit in the way we recognize people. To me it seems very plausible and compelling, with possibly wide application. I'm not sure, but it seems that the community might not be aware of this idea yet, so I want to share it with you.

There is a condition called "Face Blindness" (or Prosopagnosia), where people cannot easily recognize human faces. It appears that normal people have a fast, automatic and unconscious brain mechanism that matches people with their facial image. When we see someone we've met before, most of us remember all sorts of information about them in less than a second just by looking at their face. But those with face blindness don't seem to have this automatic mechanism and rely on other means to recognize people. They consciously see the exact same facial features we all see, but human faces are too similar for that to help much without the automatic matching system evolved for face recognition. They typically take much longer to identify people, seven seconds or more, and they usually can identify only a few close acquaintances well.

Like anything else, people vary and people can suffer from face blindness to varying degrees. Personally, I have trouble recognizing even my wife or kids in a crowd. My wife often has to raise her hand when I'm looking in her direction or I'll walk past her.

Keep in mind that people with face blindness almost never know they have a neurological disability. They just know they sometimes have trouble remembering people and doesn't everyone? It's like color blindness - you cannot know about colors you've never seen.

Why this condition may be related to cross dressing behavior is subtle but very interesting. So bear with me while I explain.

When we cannot automatically recognize faces, we learn to use other methods to identify people. There are two alternative methods that can work pretty well, but only for recognizing some people. Most people with face blindness use one or both to some extent, though usually without knowing it.

One fairly good way to recognize some people is by looking at their hair, especially when they have long hair. Hair styles tend to vary much more than facial features, at least on a level we can consciously see. Plus we probably evolved from hominids with long hair, so it is possible that we have left over automatic "hair recognition" mental circuits that may work even if the facial recognition circuits do not. Somehow this method only works well for recognizing people who wear their hair long, which in many societies means women who do not pull their hair back.

The other good alternative recognition method involves sexual attraction. In addition to subconscious automatic facial recognition, we seem to have a separate subconscious automatic brain mechanism to identify people who are our sexual type, potential mates. When we are attracted to someone, something lights up in our brain in under a second, just as fast as normal people recognize faces. And when that "sexually attractive" light goes on, we can often recognize the person very quickly even without their facial image. But this method works only for people who are our "type", those who we see as potential sexual partners. If you are a heterosexual man, than means women. And not just any woman, but one who is your "type". Say long haired Caucasian women with bangs in my case (that being a reasonable description of my mother for you Freudians, by the way).

Here is where it gets tricky. It seems we all have an innate need to "see" ourselves. It's well known that "self identity" is important for psychological well being. To function socially, we need to understand where we fit in society. And to do that, we need a mental image of ourselves. It seems that somehow this mental self image requires the same circuits our brains use to remember and recognize other people. That makes some sense - why build a whole new self image mechanism when we already have image machinery for keeping track of other people?

But if you are face blind and heterosexual, you will have trouble "seeing" yourself. You are one of those people that you cannot easily recognize on an automatic subconscious level. That is, you would have trouble recognizing yourself unless you have long hair and/or look like an attractive member of the opposite sex, which means looking like a woman if you are male. So the theory is that some cross dressers and transgenderists may have some degree of face blindness and they have self identity problems unless they can see themselves as women.

There is reported evidence that more than 50% of people with face blindness have an ambiguous sexual identity, either being homosexual or adopting some sort of transgender like appearance, such cross dressing. I think that statistic makes this theory fairly plausible. It seems that most often people with face blindness set their sexual attraction "type" to include themselves and so are gay. But a minority somehow remain heterosexual and when they do, they usually have a strong drive to look like an attractive person of the opposite sex. I believe that face blindness, like other neurological conditions such as ADD and autism, may occur much more often in men, which may explain why cross dressing is primarily a male behavior.

A weakness of this theory is that face blindness is apparently pretty rare and cross dressing is apparently not so rare. Possibly it explains only a minority of cross dressers and other mechanisms come into play for the rest. However, we've only known about face blindness for less than twenty years and it is still not widely understood or diagnosed. So it may be more prevalent than we think. As I mentioned, it can be very difficult to recognize facial blindness in ourselves, especially when it is not a widely known condition, so most people with even severe face blindness are unaware of their deficit and difficult to find or count.

Plus people have a wide range of facial recognition abilities and it seems plausible that those with only a minor deficit, who can recognize people well enough most of the time, might still have self identity problems if they cannot "see" themselves quite as well as they would unconsciously like, given how vital self identity seems to be for our well being. So possibly some cross dressers and transgenderists, while not "face blind" are at least somewhat "near sighted" when it comes to recognizing themselves cloaked in their original sex.

Finally, some with completely normal face recognition ability might still seek the extra self identity recognition that comes from appearing as the opposite sex. They can recognize themselves as men, but as a woman the extra sexual attraction brain recognition would fire in addition to their facial recognition circuits, providing some kind of improved self image, a sort of double recognition that might work better for them than normal self recognition.

If the "brain sex" theory for transsexuality is correct, then self identity problems caused by face blindness would not enter the equation for most true transsexuals. But because transsexuality has come to be the dominant, accepted and popular explanation for extreme gender identity issues, and because there seem to be few good medical explanations for gender issues other than brain sex mismatch, I'd guess there may be many with a strong drive to present as the opposite sex who follow the transsexual crowd. Maybe self identity issues related to face blindness could provide the beginnings of a scientifically and medically acceptable explanation for serious transgender conditions without SRS.

This theory is not my own and is mostly derived from work on face blindness done by Bill Choisser, which you can read about at http://www.choisser.com/faceblind/ At that link is a free online book titled "Face Bind! (http://www.choisser.com/faceblind/)" with lots of information on the condition. The parts on sexual "type" and its effects are buried in the middle of the book. Choisser himself is face blind, but his life followed what he calls the easier path, because he is gay (with long hair, by the way). He is probably correct that in our society it is often easier to be homosexual than to be obsessed with cross dressing, not that any of us makes a conscious choice.

In summary, this alternative theory explains cross dressing and transgender behavior in some people as the result of face blindness, because non-gay face blind people can often recognize attractive members of the opposite sex, especially with long hair, much better than they can recognize most people. This disability can mean it is easier for them to recognize themselves when they appear as attractive members of the opposite sex, leading to self identity issues that are relieved by cross dressing or becoming transgendered.

Pythos
04-17-2011, 03:30 PM
This is an interesting, if confusing post.

I am unsure about the whole long hair thing, reason being is that men used to wear their hair long predominately.

I was also thrown off by the subject needing to see the female form of himself.

Need more explanation I am afraid.

Eryn
04-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I find your hypothesis very interesting because I am rather face-blind, requiring quite a bit of contact before I can reliably recognize others by their faces and relying heavily on other cues (hair, voice, body shape, etc.) to recognize others.

I don't think that your hypothesis works well for my situation, however, since my CDing growth was from underwear through clothing and finally to hair and makeup. This is a single data point, however, and should not be interpreted as attacking your hypothesis.

It would be interesting to study the correlation in women between face-blindness and the adoption of "boyish" short hairstyles. It may well be that women don't have to crossdress to achieve self-recognition in this way.

A very thought-provoking first post, Stacey! Welcome to the forum.

Amy07
04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
NO.
It seems you came here trying to cure something. And I will not address your rant, totally obscrure....
Just wear the pantyhose.

StaceyS
04-17-2011, 05:58 PM
NO.
It seems you came here trying to cure something. And I will not address your rant, totally obscrure....

I'm not trying to cure anything, just understand things better. That's sometimes what intelligent species do. And I can't see how it was a rant unless anything long is automatically a rant and if so, I'm so sorry.

ChanDelle
04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Hmmmm. This theory might apply to some of us. However, at least for me, I'm more interested in a subjective, inside looking out experience than even looking at myself sort of viewpoint. Yes, it'd be really gratifying if I were beautiful, but the feel of clothing, high heels, lipstick, earrings, etc. seems to float my boat rather than my "female" form or appearance. Yes, appearance counts, but only in a secondary role.

I'll be interested to hear what others of us have to say on this.

ChanDelle

PS And looking like my mother is never a consideration to my mind.

rachaelsloane
04-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Stacy,
IMO, all of us would like to better understand the why, but as I have gotten older, it really is not important, therefore, my new attitude is, love and enjoy who I am for in the end, no one really will know why.
Rachael

Eryn
04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
It seems you came here trying to cure something.

I don't read it that way. It's certainly possible to want to understand something without wanting to change it.

I agree with Rachel. CDing, like face-blindness, is part of who I am.

Mimi
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I thought your post was quite interesting, and I directed Eryn over to it, knowing her tendency towards face-blindness. I totally got that you were presenting this as an interesting theory that might apply to a tiny percentage of CDers. I realize that many people aren't interested in the "why", but for those more scientific-minded of us, it was an enjoyable and educational read.

Diane Smith
04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I am not too bad at recognizing faces, in the sense that I always know I have seen someone before, but I am absolutely terrible at connecting them to names. As a classroom teacher, this makes it very difficult for me each semester when I have 30 or so new students, and the same number returning from last year, who I should all know by name. Most of them I really never "get" during the five years they are in our school. I think it is a genuine learning disability. For some reason, this does not really extend to work colleagues or personal friends, whom I get to know as quickly as anyone else.

It certainly never occurred to me that this might be related to my gender issues, however. They seem like pretty unrelated facets of my personality. I have to admit I don't quite understand the hypothesis as it is described in Stacey's original message.

- Diane

sissystephanie
04-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I crossdress because I like to!! There is nothing inside me pushing me to do so, I just do it because I like the fit, feel, and look of feminine clothing! I am definitely not face blind because I am very good at recognizing faces, I just can't remember the names that go with them!! In that regard I am very much like Diane, and also like her I don't quite understand Stacey's hypothesis!

But then, as I have said before, I am ME and that is all that counts!!

dilane
04-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Here's a quote from an attractiveness study (http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~sgc/teaching/projects/MarieCarolineLanfranchiReport.pdf):

In term of physical attraction based on faces, among a database of faces of
people of a chosen gender, people find more attractive faces selected by algorithms
which use their own face as a reference than pictures selected by algorithms
because of their intrinsic beauty.

In other words, we think people with similar faces to ours are attractive.
If we're straight, that means that we tend to be strongly attracted to our feminized faces.

So regardless of other factors (brain sex, life experiences, etc) which got us started in the TV/TG/TS spectrum, seeing the female version of ourselves is it's own reward.

Danni Renee
04-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I found your post really interesting. I will have to reread it a few times to let my mind digest it a bit more. What I do know is that I facial recognition is a weakness I have. I have a difficult time with people I have known for years but I have not seen for a year. I even have difficulties with people I work with on a daily basis when I see then outside of work if they are not wearing clothes I am used to seeing them wear. In addition, I also know that I do focus on peoples hair a lot. So for me in particular, this might be somewhat applicable.

What I also know is that regardless of what influences shaped me, I am glad I am finally coming to grips with who I really am. How I got here is interesting, but where I am going is fascinating. I look forward to hearing about more of your research and doing some more on my own.

Danielle

sandra-leigh
04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Hmmmm... I have a harder time than average at placing faces and recalling names, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that my recognition of faces (as having seen them before) is worse than average (but not better than average either.) My grandmother on the other hand was extraordinary at recognizing and placing faces; somewhere around 2005, she recognized (correctly) the woman who my grandfather used to go out with before her -- somewhere around 1936!

The face => name recognition part of my brain doesn't get a lot of use. I don't work with people much: I work with computers extensively. My skills at recognizing patterns with computers are quite high -- but that does not use quite the same part of the brain. Remembering names of people isn't something I've had a need to develop. I don't have a particular problem remembering the names of people I interact with, but it is true that I would be hard pressed to name many of my co-workers that I have worked with for 2 to 20 years.

I have associated my relatively poor remembering of people's names with my pretty low episodic memory and my pretty low time sequencing of memories. If you asked me what I had for supper a week ago, I would have to struggle to remember and would quite possibly fail; which cities I visited two vacations ago and what I did there would be pretty much a total wash-out. My brain is structured to remember information (and patterns), and pretty promptly discards markers about when I learned things or under what circumstances.

I have at least two friends who have indicated to me they are increasingly having trouble remembering timing; one of them is pretty sharp at remembering faces and names, but he forgets to call me for a year or so at a time because anything past "a few weeks ago" loses the timing for him; he knows he talked to me, but he doesn't have a feeling for how long ago. The other one has indicated that he is having increasing trouble remembering names of people he should know.

Anyhow, I'm not convinced at the moment that some degree of "face-blindness" is anything more than a coincidence. My personal experience is that there is a much higher correlation to be found between transgender enough to want hormones, vs naturally "high cholesterol".

Nia Hush
04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Eh, I never forget a face or a name, unless its not an important one in which case I will.

I was buying a card for Mother's day last year and a woman at a register checked me out and asked if I remembered her from high school. Class of 96, she said. That was my year. Still didn't remember her, so I played nice for those few seconds and went along my way. My retention of names and faces seems to have a ton to do with relevance or history. I more often forget names than faces, though, in which I play it off as best I can and look for hints of a name they're not looking.

sandra-leigh
04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
a woman at a register checked me out and asked if I remembered her from high school. Class of 96, she said. That was my year. Still didn't remember her,

I have looked at lists of people I supposedly graduated with (1979); some of the names I recognize; some of them sound plausible (e.g., I might recognize the unusual family name and think "Ah, maybe that was the brother/sister of the person I knew") -- but some of them I anti-recognize, meaning that I have a definite sense that I did not go to school with anyone by that name. Some day I need to get ahold of the yearbook and see...

I posted some of my grade-school class photos on FB, and some people who I am sure I went to school with have tagged some of the faces I know I've seen before with names that as far as I can remember I've never heard before in my life. Now that's disheartening, to have someone you trust match a face you know to a name and there you are feeling sure you've never heard the name before. Sure, some kids had nick-names, but not that many!

abbykins
04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Stacey, that is a really interesting idea. I'm sure I don't have face-blindness, but what you said is very logical, assuming the research is correct. What an interesting idea.

Lorileah
04-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a terrible time remembering names. I remember dogs and cats just fine (which may explain why I don't dress as a dog or cat). I really don't have a very good short term memory anyway. Did I mention I don't remember names?

Chickhe
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Nope. Not for me. Once I see a face I never forget it. I have trouble remembering names though.

GaleWarning
04-18-2011, 01:11 AM
I found the post very interesting ... I am face-blind.

raleighbelle
04-18-2011, 02:17 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the theory, but it is very interesting. For what it's worth, I am definitely one of those face blind people, and also can't remember names for anything.

noeleena
04-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi, Stacey,
& welcome .

As a point with this if one has a photographic memory one can see whats needed to accese the person you know . now then you would no dought have a problem with this , i spent 23 days over in Phuket , Thailand & as you know they would appear to all look the same , would that be close .

i can bring up in my mind the peoples faces even sitting here as im doing now, in one night i met over 50 people tho i met over 100 , most i can remember with outa prob . others i would reconise if i go back over. tho some times , its the long term memory that has those pics & your trying to use the short term memory , & even i fail with that till i load in what i need to find that pic so the mind does not forget it just shuts out the info. so far away in your mind it takes a while to bring it up , damm computers ,, oh thats my mind..
interesting what youv said . & the mind can play tricks.. thanks for that,

...noeleena...

Pink Person
04-18-2011, 06:46 AM
My medical expert, P.T. Barnum, supports this theory. Every time he closes his eyes, he thinks he is the Queen of England.

It's true that sometimes our imaginations interfere with our (visual and other) experiences. However, transgender identification is not imaginary. It's biological and empirical. It's based on a wide range of personal characteristics and experiences that are much more substantial and complex than what meets the eye.

kimdl93
04-18-2011, 08:14 AM
I have to say, this is certainly not the most parsimonious explanation for cross dressing.

betsy b
04-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Yes, that could be true or both CD and face rec.share a common wiring. In my case I was a real GG on a farm in the mid 1800, I think. The best dress that I had was made of linsywoolsey, very itchey. My shoes weren't any nicer. Today there such an incredible variety of fabrics, colors, makeup, and real stockings. Unfortunately I am male this time, 6' 200 lb and a disapproving wife. Maybe next time.

Jill Devine
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Your theory is more than a bit of a stretch and leap of faith. I'm no expert on TG issues although I do have a degree in clinical psychology, but your post doesn't make sense to me.

April Renee
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
<Quote> Stacy S - "Like anything else, people vary and people can suffer from face blindness to varying degrees. Personally, I have trouble recognizing even my wife or kids in a crowd. My wife often has to raise her hand when I'm looking in her direction or I'll walk past her"......Mine too, however its normally due to some type of altered state of mind I may happen to be in...
My eyes hurt about three more sentences into the post so I couldn't finish. GL with your journey.
A....

busker
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Stacey, I thought the idea was interesting to think about, though it is not relevant to my case. don't be put off by some people's rudeness. It sounds as though they didn't read enough to see that it was not your idea, but you were presenting someone else's idea as a possible explanation for why some of us crossdress. Some of us though enjoy reading things about the why's and wherefore's even though it may not lead to THE EXPLANATION. I also like labels and other cleverly descriptive words.

KriistineCDxoxo
04-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Because it's me! And I love doing it!

Elena Ornamental
04-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Let's put some more theories into the mix: If you believe in in Astrology or not, to me it's interesting that Cancer and Capricorn are the two signs at my second level (Moon and Rising). As a preschooler, I had an older sister and two girls next door that I played with, did I get infected? Maybe a psychological trauma when I entered Junior High School led me to not caring about masculinity. And there's always basic genetic variation that could be a cause.

Loni
04-19-2011, 02:02 AM
who needs to alternate?

i am me and just me, why would anybody else need to find out why and what makes me feel good and feel like things are right within my life. can people out there just accept me as i am without trying to prove something.

MsGreen
04-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts StaceyS.

eluuzion
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
hiya StaceyS,

Welcome to the party!

here ya’ go...I wrote you a “novel” as an Easter gift...Happy Easter!:heehee:

Some people wonder what time it is. Those of us born with a curious nature wonder what makes the watch tic, right? lol.

I enjoyed reading your post. I am similar to Jill Devine's reply:

I am not a "Doctor", I have only played doctor with a few girlfriends on occassion.
But I do have a degree in Abnormal Psychology and I have researched kinesics (non-verbal communication) /"perception"/facial recognition/micro expressions/truth-wizard related areas for many years. Prosopagnosia was one of many topics covered in my college psychology curriculum.

I read the text content of your post, as well as the entire text content (face blind link) and online book (FaceBind link) (uploaded by Bill Choisser) that you supplied links to. (I read all several times)

I certainly commiserate with the confusing frustrations and isolating challenges that Bill Choisser and others must face each day. I have no doubts about the authenticity of the symptoms and his basic overview of the physical and emotional struggles he has endured.

With all due respect, I read your entire post about 3 times in an effort to try and grasp a basic understanding of all the various concepts, definitions, relationships, connections, facts, theories, statistical evidence and explanations you stated in your post...that I simply could not see at all. Then I tried to find any documentation or evidence to validate the statements like ["reported evidence that more than 50%"]~~ ["effects are buried in the middle of the book"] [theory is not my own and derived from] and other references to information you claimed...but I was unable to find any.

The majority of the claims you have presented, as well as the statements to support the "theory" of relationship existing between face blindness and crossdressing ....in my opinion...were not supported by logic or documentation.
If you can produce some actual documentation to support your claims, I would be interested in viewing it.
So I am saying that our perspectives on this issue are exactly alike...
Except for being totally different. lol*********************************************** ****************
Here is my accumulated understanding and perspective...

There are a couple of viable explanations that many researchers seem to support. Both share the belief that the problem is caused by a disruption in the transmission network, rather than by any single component, which fails to transmit the neural connections to the entire network. This occurs in the "face" area of the brain.

In the case of Congenital Prosopagnosia (naturally present), the structural integrity of several network components are failing together to disconnect the network's path to transfer the messages. In Acquired Prosopagnosia, an outside source (stroke, etc) creates a lesion on a single node, which
creates a break in the path. This process is also suspected as a possible factor in developmental dyslexia and autism. See link below...
11/2008Carnegie Mellon University research on compromised neural integrity of networkhttp://repository.cmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1099&context=psychology

A recent research project investigating the possibility of Mercury poisoning being the cause is gaining some serious credibility. A review of the historical cases revealed that many victims were exposed to Mercury when young. Some of the "fathers" were pharmacists, miners, worked in thermometer plant, heavy smokers, amalgam fillings, vaccinations, etc. All shared the common factor of being exposed to Mercury. Even Bill Choisser’s book starts out with him describing his first years of life in a Mining community! See this link...

January 2011 Convincing Article with supporting evidence suggesting Mercury poisoning may play a major causal factor http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/01/in-plain-sight-freud-face-blindness-and-autism.html

This is a link to the REAL face blind site, with index of documented research results. (None that suggest any connection to cross dressing) http://www.faceblind.org/research/index.html

Cambridge Online Face Memory Test (for prosopagnosia) (my score= 98%)
http://www.faceblind.org/facetests/fgcfmt/fgcfmt_intro.php

Famous Face Test (similar to above only with famous faces) (my score=98%)http://www.faceblind.org/facetests/ff/ff_intro.php

Harvard article about the other end of the scale (I am one of them)http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/05/%e2%80%98super-recognizers%e2%80%99-are-the-ones-who-really-will-never-forget-a-face/

NLD (Non-Verbal Learning Disorders) Websitehttp://www.nldline.com/

Other facial recognition sites/biometric etc.

Site Map for DataFace website (huge)http://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/general/sitemap.jsp

Facial Recognition Research Linkshttp://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/misctext/inner_outer.html

Visual Cognition Publication Index from UCL Institute of Cognitive Neurosciencehttp://www.icn.ucl.ac.uk/Publications/index.php?groupid=VW&Submit=GO

I personally lean toward the Mercury theory, but not in every case.
That’s my story and I’m stick’in to it...:D

So, the end.
I agree that we can disagree without being disagreeable...don’t you agree?:hugs:

Hope ya find lots of eggs...:thumbsup:

:love:

Kate Lynn
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm not trying to cure anything, just understand things better. That's sometimes what intelligent species do. And I can't see how it was a rant unless anything long is automatically a rant and if so, I'm so sorry.

Stacey I sometimes look at what we this way,we are living proof God has a funny bone,and we prefer to wear what we do,because we can.

Loveday
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi Stacy
Wow, I really found the post very interesting. I have had trouble recognizing women I have known because they can change the way they look with makeup and hair. I have also noticed that if I met someone I worked with after hours I often had trouble recognizing them. At least now I have a name to call it and I knowledge that I am not nuts.
I should also mention have also had trouble with some pictures realizing what the subject was, it takes me a few minutes to adjust but I did really well with the pictures within pictures I was shown in my b school and psych classes in collage.

Kate Simmons
04-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Another alternate theory would be that we are really multi-dimensional beings participating in multiple tier programs (multiverse) simultaneously. As a result we are connected to the feelings of our selves in the other programs, some of which just happen to be the opposite gender. Works for me.:battingeyelashes::)

JulieK1980
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
That's a really interesting theory that I had not heard of. It could very well be a cause or contributing factor.

My own thought is that it's, what in the medical community is known as the "Transactional model" which means there are a multitude of causes ranging from medical to biological to environmental to even socioeconomic factors. In essence, there are many different paths that will lead up to the end result. In this case Crossdressing being the end result.

While no one single factor is the definitive, and fitting of 100% of people, there are trends that can be seen of certain factors. In this case the hypothesis of "faceblindness" being a causative factor could very well be a reality, but there are other factors combined with this that would lead to crossdressing behavior.

This is based on the knowledge that no single cause can be identified in 100% of people who crossdress, and thus there must be multiple factors that lead to the same end. (crossdressing)
T

Fab Karen
04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
As the guy who couldn't afford music instruments said,"don't worry, be happy."

nancigirl
04-20-2011, 11:05 AM
As a clinical psychologist, I would have to say that this "theory" really makes no sense, and is implausible as a factor in the etiology of crossdressing or being trans. For those unfortunate enough to have a serious condition of prosopagnosia, it is a very difficult world to live in and the condition is very difficult to treat or manage.

Pythos
04-20-2011, 11:23 AM
OOooo, nancigirl!!

Your input would be great to have.

Is crossdressing still considered a psychosis. I am seeing at least on the net, this notion is fading.

Eloise
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd put this particular theory alongside astrology and man made global warming the pile of things I find to be utterly nonsensicle.