PDA

View Full Version : Lookin good - on the cheap?

ClevelandOHCD
04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone.

I often go to thrift stores with my wife, and marvel at some of her finds. She'll cruise by my size section for me and I'll browse via glances, but I don't see very much in my size (2x-ish) besides Grandma's castaways - lol. I don't dig in - unless it's near Halloween - but it's usually pretty obvious how blah the selection is.

So - I was wondering if anyone knew any online spots to do some of this used/clearance/etc shopping, with good plus size selection, that preserves the value of a thrift shop? (Other than eBay... S&H charges are rarely fair as the sellers have to make up for the fees)

Any ideas?

-Emily

J'lyn GG
04-18-2011, 12:51 AM
I can't believe I'm doing this. But, oh well. My husband gets all of his clothes from clearance racks. He's a 2x. Dress Barn has a great selection. JCPenney and Kohls are also good. In my opinion, buying clothes online is a waste unless you're a size 6 and everything looks good.

Tina B.
04-18-2011, 07:21 AM
We have a plus size used clothing store in my town, I go in from time to time with the wife, and I have never seen anything I wanted to take home with me. How ever sales racks at the change of season in places like K-mart will get tops down to just a few dollars. and I have bought Jeans in a size 20 at Ross Dress for less for as little as $10.00. Big girls can find cute stuff, but you have to work harder at it.
Tina B.

christinac
04-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Kmart is about the cheapest place that I have found for cheap new clothes. Walmart used to be reasonably cheap, but they started jacking up thier prices a year or so ago.

monalisa
04-18-2011, 07:31 AM
You are better off at Sears, JC Penney, Marshalls, Ross, which all carry plus sizes and are new and often cheaper than consignment shops when they have clearance sales. I have bought tops, skirts and dresses for under $5 and lingerie for as low as $1. I also like Deb for plus sizes and they have clearance racks and have bought 2 prom dresses for just $10 each. I use to look in consignment stores but no more.

Julie Denier
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
I always shop the clearance section at OneStopPlus.com.

christinac
04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I guess my local one didn't do one this year, but some of the Pride chapters have a pretty good fleamarket like thing at thier spring fest and you can get some great deals there also.

WandaRae2009
04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Try Burlington. I have found a number of plus size bargains in several cities. I once got a size 22 skirt suit for 14.99. K&G also has a pretty good plus size selection from time to time and some good clearance items.

Loni
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
try cruising the discount racks at the mall, aka sears, jc pennys, even macys. bargain's to be had at all and on the cheep.
some of the thins i have found and some for just a buck or two....even at macys and these are top items not rip/torn. stepped on just what did not sell, etc.
last year i bought a great dress for less the $8.00usd it was marked down from $80.usd.

docrobbysherry
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Out here, there r thrift stores, and there r THRIFT STORES, Cleve! Some, specialize in expensive, quality ladies gear! I seldom visit them, because of their prices and the EAGLE EYES of their SAs! Eeek!

But, if you're not timid, I suggest u find the UPPER CRUST thrift stores in Cleveland! Hopefully, U'll find some nice things in your size there.

Vanessa Storrs
04-20-2011, 02:41 AM
I love thrift stores. Locally there are a few that actually sort things by size. We have a JC Penney Outlet that has really good prices.

Allana W
04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Consignment stores can be a good place to shop as they don't carry a lot of junk but mostly better items. The SO and I went to one last weekend that she had just discovered. Outside they had racks of items at two for 5$ no tax -- many of them were in large sized that ordinarily they find hard to sell. Digging around the wife and I a pair of woman's slacks that fit me beautifully and three tops -- one is a black and dark red see-thru that is so beautiful it left me light headed! I couldn't wait to get home to try it on with a black bra underneath. The wife also found a few treasures for herself. I was wearing an androgynous mixed boy/girl look when we went into the store with just a touch of makeup and lipstick. The wife was wearing one of her boy-look outfits. The Korean woman that owned the store was slightly taken aback at first, but when she saw that we had money and wanted to buy she soon warmed up. That's what I've found with most stores -- If you are polite, have money and want to buy they don't care what you look like.

Allana