PDA

View Full Version : What jobs are available for Crossdressers?

Danni Renee
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
As I go to bed tonight, I know in my heart that I can never go back to living in the closet. Now that I have taken these first steps, I know I want more. Although too early to make a final decision, I believe when I leave the military in 4 years (retiring) that I want to dress full time. I have heard bits and pieces from some of the girls here on the forum about jobs they have and being able to dress full time. From those that are able to dress full time, what sort of jobs do you have? Are there jobs or businesses or communities that are more CD friendly than others?

I will still have a family to support and alimony to pay so my retired pay will not be enough. I hope to find a job where I can finally be myself. Between my experiences and my education (Bachelors and Masters degrees) I should be very employable but I would like it to be on my terms for once. I would love to hear from people who are able to live their lives as they choose and are still able to support themselves and their families. Thanks.

Theresa_W
04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
That is a great question. I would love to know the answer. Now you've got me thinking.....hmmmmm. :idontknow:

If given the opportunity, I would love to dress full-time. Just not really an option for me at this point in my life. :sad:

Oh, well.... I will keep my eye out for you though. And if I see something that might work, I will be sure to let you know. :)

Terri

Michelle 2
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi Danni,

Why not consider owning your own venture with your knowledge and expertise. Possibly marketing via the internet since it will be a supplemental income. I am sure you can compete in a market place as well as anyone else. Maybe something to support the crossdressing and transgender community. Just a thought to pass on to you.

Michelle

RenneB
04-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Well Danni, I hear your plight. In my male mode, I'm on the unemployment line looking for work. I'm a vet and trying to use vet pref doesn't get me anywhere (no teeth in that law). I even had a security clearance for the entire time in the service. Still no help. I also have a Bachelors and a Masters and am working on another Masters. Still no job offers. Although, there are jobs, they seem to be going to younger and lesser experienced candidates... Not sure what it takes any more...

Enjoy the time getting 'short' to the ETS date.

Renne.....

thechic
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
theres lots of jobs
I work as a engineer need the money i work as a woman,cant were dress or skirts when working,but do ware womans clothing,trouble is new clients often say shes a bit of a tomboy,but thats life

Stephenie S
04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Hard to answer your question with so little information.

Do you want to transition? Your OP asked about jobs available for crossdressers. And of course ANY job is available to crossdressers. Crossdressing should not interfear with your job. Unless you desire to present as a woman at all times. Then you may have a bit of a problem.

In general, jobs in the medical profession are among the most liberal and accepting. But if you want to remain as a "man in a dress, you are going to have an issue getting most jobs. Have you thought about starting your own business? The boss would probably be tolerant of your choice of clothes in that case.

Stephie

clairebostock
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I think what every you want to do go do it. if you are going somewere new and turn up as a women then who would know
your not a women ? as from your photo you good to me. just go and do it .

Nigella
04-18-2011, 01:50 PM
To put it in simple terms, any job is available to anyone, unless there is specific legislation that bars a particular group. You will find many females working alongside males in many walks of life.

JenniferR771
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
If you are an A-10 pilot, maybe crop dusting would suit your situation.
Nuclear engineer-you are not alone--and I hear the Japanese need help.
Self-employment has some real advantages. I enjoyed self-employment. Your own boss. Sink or swim on your own. Can be lonely, at times. Read a couple books about starting your own business. No big corporation can match the ease of communication, quality and attention to detail of a small, owner-operated business. You run all the departments, sales, marketing, production, accounting, finance--you do them all.

the_me
04-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd like to be a waitress just once :)

Cynthia Anne
04-18-2011, 03:32 PM
If you want to get-r-done, get a women to do it! That being said, any type of work that you are capable of doing!

ReineD
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Although too early to make a final decision, I believe when I leave the military in 4 years (retiring) that I want to dress full time.

Are there jobs or businesses or communities that are more CD friendly than others?

Maybe it's just me, but I think most people are unsure what to make of ambiguous gender. Most people deal better with the either/or male/female scenario.

Since you want to be full time, you might want to consider transitioning? This doesn't mean you have to have SRS, but you could get on HRT and undergo electrolysis, which will make it easier for you to look less like a male in women's clothing?

Jilmac
04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Danni, I'm not sure what your military experience is but I'm assuming it's something that is not TG friendly either as a service person or a civilian. Here are a few suggestions that might correspond with your degrees. If you're looking for a management position try public service such as a utility, city or state entity, public relations firm etc. If you'd rather be self employed perhaps you could consider selling insurance out of your home. Many agents do that and you can dress any way you choose. Another option for self employment is freelance real estate. Hope this helps somewhat, good luck in your job search.

ReineD
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Danni ... I need to rephrase my prior post and offer you an apology.

I didn't mean that you look like a guy in a dress. You are beautiful in your avatar. It's just that in real life, most CDs who aren't on hormones can't get away with having others believe they are female, not when they deal with people up close and directly. The voice is the biggest giveaway, but so is facial hair, skin thickness, the male body shape, etc.

Again, sorry for having my prior post come out wrong. :p

Danni Renee
04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
ReineD - Thank you for the apology but it is not needed. You got right to the heart of the matter for me and that is what I need. I DO want to transition within limits (no SRS). My SO is fully supportive. I already plan to undergo electolysis when I get back to the states. My concern with going all the way is that I will not be able to support my family. I thought if I could get some ideas for friendlier professions that I may not be put in a position to have to chose between being myself and taking care of my family. I see from RenneB that the market place is still not the greatest just yet and I am sure a transitioning individual like myself would have difficulties too, regardless of education and qualification.

I figured something internet based or self employeed would be the most likely options but I was curious if there might be other options I had not considered. I had not thought about real estate but I think that might be a possibility too. Thanks to you all for your posts and ideas.

christinac
04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
If you are an A-10 pilot, maybe crop dusting would suit your situation.
Nuclear engineer-you are not alone--and I hear the Japanese need help.
Self-employment has some real advantages. I enjoyed self-employment. Your own boss. Sink or swim on your own. Can be lonely, at times. Read a couple books about starting your own business. No big corporation can match the ease of communication, quality and attention to detail of a small, owner-operated business. You run all the departments, sales, marketing, production, accounting, finance--you do them all.

I've been pretty much self employed since the 80's and the one big disadvantage is the clientele. My city is a snake pit of old school rednecks and religious bigots, so I always have to be extra careful around them.

JenniferR771
04-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Actually, I should have mentioned that a local cd who transitioned and had surgery (she was an engineer), ended up training as a registered nurse BSN. Graduated at the top of her class. Jobs plentiful. So if you are science-oriented like her and like me--the health professions might suit your situation. Med technology. X-ray tech, pharmacy tech, sonographer, (and for self-employment: doctor, dentist, veternarian, pharmacist, visiting nurse, private nurse). Just suggestions, you need training of course.

5150 Girl
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Well,,,, I'm an Avon Lady.....

Kaitlyn Michele
04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
This is discussed alot in the TS forum as well.. a business could not care less about your (or my) gender issues.
It's a problem for businesses. bathrooms, clients, customers, fear of lawsuits in the future...not giving us a job is usually a business' best answer.
The idea you have of how you want to live is great for you as a person, but it's bad for you in any type of job situation.. it's not fair, it just is..

outside of minimum/low wage stuff,
working for yourself somehow is the best option, the next option is to find a sympathetic friend(s) that can vouch for you...otherwise you'll never make it past the first interview..it sucks..
btw nursing is also an interesting idea, but it's not always as friendly as you may think, and if you don't pass, it will only take a couple of patients families freaking out to get the trouble started
you might also research through HRC what companies have the best policies..if you are into computers Microsoft has a well known ts manager that was on tv (Megan Wallent)..
i left a corporate career..i have tested the waters, but there is no interest even though i have a great resume
now i'm looking around trying to figure out how to start a business...avon lady, mlm, franchise etc...

Wendy_Marie
04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I have a friend who works in the H.R. Department of a local hospital...She says that these facilities are Trans friendly as they have to meet and maintain federal guidelines....? I have worked in the medical field myself delivering DME and we were constantly being visited by corporate trainers and compliance personel for sensitivity training, sexual harrassment awareness etc...so it stands to reason that any JCAHO Hospital should be EOE and thus comply with policies and laws that are anti-discriminatory in nature.

Eryn
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
At least one person on the forum is making living as a cosmetologist! It would also seem that the electrologist profession would be a great match for TG and TS people.

Diane Smith
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
When I retire from my current teaching job in a year or so, I'm thinking of going to school as a nail technician. The money's not great, but it will be supplemented by a state pension. I also have a background in TV production and have already been approached by one salon about doing promotional videos for them. Since I was fully dressed when they asked me, I think they understood what they were getting into! I think there may be a market for my abilities in the beauty industry, even though it's a far way from where I started my education.

- Diane

Allana W
04-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Hi Danni, I've also noted that a number of CD and TS people work in various positions in hospitals, seems in general to be a trans friendly workplace. Recently, I've also noted a number of eBay store owners that appear to be CD or trans modeling clothing, bras, nightgowns etc. for sale in their stores -- maybe I'll do that myself when I retire in a few years.

Allana

Babeba
04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
If you're not worried about stepping outside your professional comfort zone, have you considered working with not-for-profit or cultural groups? I'm not sure where you're based/what your interests are, but the historical and arts communities at large seem to be fairly open minded and friendly. My boss at one National Trust site in the UK mentioned once that she met more varied and interesting people working for the National Trust than as a professional actress, and I know she had at least one TS friend who volunteered while dressed as an outlet for her femme self. Sometimes the pay with NFP isn't as good as it would be private sector, but if you're more looking to top up your retired pay than have it be sole support for you (or make you rich in retirement) it may be a way of finding a subject you love and turning it into a pleasant work.

KriistineCDxoxo
04-19-2011, 01:12 AM
I got an offer to be an asssistant for a company that makes lingerie... The owner is a tv

Kate Simmons
04-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Pretty much any I would think. It all depends on just how daring you are as an individual.:)

Danni Renee
04-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Babeba - THANK YOU! I sort of like that idea of trying to work for a non-profit. It has always been in my nature to try to help people and getting rich was never one of my goals (though if I won the lottery I would not return it ;) )

You have all given me a lot to think about. Thank you and I look forward to hearing other ideas. Really, I guess I need to come to grips with myself too as that would help me figure out my future as well.

JenniferR771
04-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Try to get in touch with Dr. Julie Nemacek, a professor(I met at Tri-ess) who transitioned on the job at a conservative Michigan college (Spring Arbor) lost her job and is now a consultant for diversity policy to businesses. She will have an idea of where the diverse and flexible hiring policies are strongest.

http://transworkplace.ning.com/profile/JulieNemecek

Also take a look at GM PLUS (People Like US), an affinity group at General motors. Its for LBGT employees. A girl I met at Tri-Ess wrote much of the information booklet and parts of the employee's manual. Similar groups existed at Ford and Chrysler at one time.

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/The_History_of_GM_PLUS,_GM%E2%80%99s_Lesbian,_Gay, _Bisexual_and_Transgender_Employee_Affinity_Group

But the last entry is in 2008. Possibly, many of the people are gone.

Brynn_A
04-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Danni,

I do know that per EOE, you should be protected from discimination. It covers age, race, gender and sexual orientation. That said, the interview process as we know is a highly subjective one. One thing that I would consider as your time gets closer, is a legal name change before starting your job search. Having documentation that identifies you as Danni, rather than your boy self will strengthen those protections.
Finding a job is tough for anyone right now, though hopefully it will get easier in the future. As said by others, self-employment is an option but it does usually carry some risk that working for a company does not. The good thing is, that you have the luxury of time to research, prepare and save so that when the time comes you will be more able to do things on your terms.
The best of luck to you as you move forward and also, a heartfelt "Thank you so very much" for your service

Hugs,
Btynn

Karen__Starr
04-22-2011, 08:15 PM
This might be a stretch but if you can reinvent yourself into computer programming, there are many in the field that work from home and make good salaries. The tough part is learning how to do computer programming as it takes some time.

Currently I work (computer programmer) two days in the office and three days at home. While in the office I dress between male and female and while working from home female.

Pythos
04-22-2011, 08:56 PM
So let me just understand this.

If I am a guy that prefers skirts to pants, or feminine styles to pants, and want to excercise a freedom that should be mine and wear those items, I should consider transitioning?

Did I read a post a few back correctly?

So, can someone again please say how men can wear what they want and keep their jobs, and livelihood again. Because in this discussion it seems for people to express how they want they need to fall into one or other gender, and those that need to are the ones that were born male.

I saw a female working on some gas lines around my area with a work crew. She had on Jean, shirt, flannel draped over, big thick coat, and a cowboy hat. She looks like a rotund little man. Not putting her down at all, but I do put down the unwritten rule that she can dress like that (she was not at all trying to pass as a male. She had long hair, and obvious breasts.), but a guy cannot wear a skirt in the manner Turkey Jive, and myself, along with many others would desire to without facing a rash of crud.

Our best option is to live as women.

Or did you all miss that little segment embedded in this thread?

Vickie_CDTV
04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Someone mentioned electrology as a possible career for a full-timer, and in fact there are a number of TS electrologists around the country so it is doable. (Not to mention, compared to going to college for a degree in something, an investment in time and money in electrology training is a real bargain.)

AlannahNorth
04-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Well you do have some options. Counseling in the TG field is a good possibility. Some home based business would also likely be good possibilities. If I had the cash I would invest my money and work the stock market. Web site design - especially work where you don't meet or seldom meet your customers would be ideal - unless you want to be out and about dressed - then it's a bit of a different situation. Your comfort level will be a big factor, and (obviously) the comfort level and attitudes of people you deal with.

busker
04-23-2011, 12:05 AM
As I go to bed tonight, I know in my heart that I can never go back to living in the closet. Now that I have taken these first steps, I know I want more. Although too early to make a final decision, I believe when I leave the military in 4 years (retiring) that I want to dress full time. I have heard bits and pieces from some of the girls here on the forum about jobs they have and being able to dress full time. From those that are able to dress full time, what sort of jobs do you have? Are there jobs or businesses or communities that are more CD friendly than others?

I will still have a family to support and alimony to pay so my retired pay will not be enough. I hope to find a job where I can finally be myself. Between my experiences and my education (Bachelors and Masters degrees) I should be very employable but I would like it to be on my terms for once. I would love to hear from people who are able to live their lives as they choose and are still able to support themselves and their families. Thanks.

Danni, that of course would depend on what your degrees are in, and how along ago you got them, unless they are in the humanities, which doesn't become obsolete so quickly.
self employment can be a boon or a drag, depending on what you choose. Without knowing your expertise and assuming that you will be 50 on retirement, you are already reaching the age when it becomes difficult to get a job. Ex military can do well in contract employment in areas similar to their military exp., but as someone pointed out, acceptance is a major hurdle. I mentioned in another thread about a concert pianist who transitioned and who had been previously very successful. His agent said that transitioning would be the kiss of death for his career. Writing is a good possibility if that is your niche. Jan Davis /AKA James Davis was a well-known travel writer.
Possibly something in a area of bonded work--courier, bail bonds, where dress is not going to be a handicap. Internet businesses can be a loosing proposition. I have one and i the beginning it was great but it has declined for a number of reasons and it is not likely to pick up again. Glad I'm 68 and don't really have to worry about supporting someone.
Do you have pilot experience. Charter pilot might be a possibility.
Just on a lark the other day, I browsed about 500 or so jobs in my area and with nearly 40 years experience, I would have been hard pressed to get job that paid anything of a living wage. Lots of science, medical, engineering, but they require lots of specialized experience. Medical sales though had some openings for trainees and that would include selling things like implants for mastectomy patients,etc. (medical devices)
4 years sounds like a lot of time but if you require additional training you'll need all that time. Don't look a the "today's hot jobs" because by the time you get there , they will be glutted. Look for things up and coming. Good luck to you and from one vet to another, thanks for your service.

dack
04-23-2011, 03:18 AM
I remember reading an article about a financial firm (IT division I believe) that had a "progressive dress policy" and anyone was free to express their gender as they wished (even wearing skirts) and use bathrooms consistent with their current presentation (they emphasized following basic rules to allow this policy to stay in place).

I lost the article, though, and haven't been able to find it since. If anyone else remembers reading this, please speak up. I don't think the first past about gender expression was limited to transsexuals.

Vickie_CDTV
04-23-2011, 04:06 AM
I think Apple has a similar progressive dress policy (allowing not just TS to transition but also allowing men to wear skirts and present male etc.)

Don't look a the "today's hot jobs" because by the time you get there , they will be glutted. Look for things up and coming. Good luck to you and from one vet to another, thanks for your service.

In the same vein, I'd be careful in any job that can be easily outsourced to the third world for pennies on the dollar, who knows how long it will last. (After all, why should we put up with "weirdo trouble making employees", when we can just get rid of all of them and save lots of money to boot?)

Danni Renee
04-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Thank you all again for your posts. Just an update to answer some questions:

My bachelor’s degree was quite a while back but I received my MBA last June. Up until December when I finally acknowledged there was more to me than I cared to admit, I had a plan. My first choice was politics. In my hometown, with my experiences and connections, I had/have the opportunity to be involved in state politics. Although I felt it was a long shot, it was something I felt I could attain. My second choice was managing construction projects (my military job and experience). My third option was teaching/coaching as I think education and the development of the future is a most honorable profession.

With all of that said though, I am not sure how things fit anymore. I thought my crossdressing was a fetish, something to keep hidden from the light of day and never to be spoken of, let alone admitted to anyone. Then I told my SO about it and she accepted me. It opened a whole new world for me. I have had trouble sleeping for years; I never could put a finger on why. I spent my days working as a man, but when I went to sleep at night the dreams I had were always of being a woman. I was always depressed.

Now I sleep well. I wear a nightgown to bed and panties and a bra to work. I completely dress every day (after work) - my last two loads of laundry had more feminine clothes then male clothes. I am happy in a way that I have never been happy before. It is like I am finally becoming at peace with myself; I no longer feel guilty for the feelings I have. And as time passes, I realize (I think) that maybe I am more than just a crossdresser. I cannot understand why I am so much more comfortable with myself. I want to continue this journey, wherever it takes me.

But regardless of how I feel, I still have responsibilities to uphold. I have a SO who I hope to make my wife by the end of the year. I have two children from my first marriage and will add two more when I get married. Although I should be debt free (except for alimony) by August, my retirement pay will not be sufficient to cover everything so I have to work.

So that is why I asked this question. I no longer feel my top three options are available to me. I have four years to gear myself for another profession, but I want whatever profession I chose to both allow me to support my family and be who I am, whatever that may turn out to be.

Sorry if I am rambling but the forum has not only helped me find new friends and acceptance, it also serves as a sounding board for my inner thoughts. It is very therapeutic – Danielle.

P.S. for Pythos. I am not sure I full understand your post. I have read a few of your posts and you always make great points. I would love it if you could clarify what you meant – you sort of talked a circle around me and I got lost.