PDA

View Full Version : why so blaah

danielle.cd
04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
the more i see the picture section the more i notice how many poeple that post there look unhappy,, why?
in my eyes if u feel confident in something it would make u strike a pose or smile alittle or show that im confident in this out fit. .
if your gana dress and post pics at least show something that makes us believe u wanted to dress up and have fun instead of looking like someone made u put it on and u hate it ,
thats my little rant and rave for the time being

ashley , (danielle)

Eryn
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
...if your gana dress and post pics at least show something that makes us believe u wanted to dress up and have fun instead of looking like someone made u put it on and u hate it...

Great idea, and it sounds like you have some ideas on how to make the pictures more exciting. Not all of us are naturals at posing for the camera (check out my photo thread :o) and we could really use some advice on that.

Why don't you post some tips on how to make our poses better, and others could add their own. This could become a resource for everyone!

Eryn

NathalieX66
04-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Danielle, I go out to be me........even if it requires being wired on mojitos, and spicy mexican food to get me in a good mood. This photo is as real as it gets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathalielandree/5524050263/in/set-72157626134838967
I think I was nearly seeng stars when this photo was taken. All I know is I was having a good time

Marissa
04-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Good questions Danielle..I know some are going for a sultry look and can pull it off...while others can't (including yours truly :) ) so the best I can do is just smile..about or at what??? most of the times I don't know..its just a pose to get a look. Other times I think of something silly. Either way I do try to come across that I am enjoy being dressed at that moment..not trying for the daily look, just a pose.. And as in my avatar, I seem to have a problem with my neck..lol..as I seem to use this pose more.

Now for me, not smiling does give the impression of being too serious or uptight about something..so that is my motivation to try smiling more.

Okay, that is me... and many times I have offered this advice to others when 'feedback' is requested or just to give some guidance. Some take it, some don't..even a slight upturned closed mouth smile would work to brighten the pic. That is all we can do... so I really don't have an answer as to why you see more straight faced, non-smiling pics.

But I sure do like Nathalie's mojitos potion :) oh, wait, that could be my trick but with wine or margiritas.. LOL..

Kate Simmons
04-19-2011, 05:14 AM
Evidently many who post there are not really happy.:)

Noortje
04-19-2011, 05:30 AM
It seems that advertising has taught us that looking slightly angry and defensive is attractive. Look at ad posters around you. How many of the women smile, and how many look like you disgust them?

christinac
04-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Not secure enough in thier idenity yet, basically too shy to smile? Your point is really something I never picked up on until you pointed it out. Point well taken.

Tina B.
04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Wrong, some people smile a lot, others not so much, a picture should represent you, not how others want to see you, but the way you see you. If my mood is light, I smile, but if my mood is serious, why would I put on a fake smile, nothing ruins a picture faster than a fake smile.
Just use good lighting, and let your natural self come through! Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!
Tina B.

RenneB
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm smiling :-) Can't type msuh more ..got longe naels one.

Renne.....

Marissa
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Evidently many who post there are not really happy.:)

Along with another thread going about # of responses, how can one expect to attract others if a pic expresses unhappiness. At the same time, many will say they are happiest when dressed so this gets confusing. I know its a sad feeling to not be out to the world or free to be yourself, but is it not just a happy moment to be dressed in whatever manner you choose?

It seems that advertising has taught us that looking slightly angry and defensive is attractive. Look at ad posters around you. How many of the women smile, and how many look like you disgust them?

Ok, I'm familiar with the sulty look (thanks to them VS models :heehee:), but not the angry mode..guess I do need to look at those ad posters. Also remember, they have professional makeup artists, lighting, and photoshop to get the 'look'.

Not secure enough in thier idenity yet, basically too shy to smile? Your point is really something I never picked up on until you pointed it out. Point well taken.

Secure with their identity? Most of us are trying to find our identity..it can be a long journey, but in the mean time, I still feel good when I can dress..and especially to take a pic to share with others.

Wrong, some people smile a lot, others not so much, a picture should represent you, not how others want to see you, but the way you see you. If my mood is light, I smile, but if my mood is serious, why would I put on a fake smile, nothing ruins a picture faster than a fake smile.
Just use good lighting, and let your natural self come through! Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!
Tina B.

A fake smile ruins a picture? wow.. guess I need to get rid of half my sets.. lol..You can't tell me that ALL those fake smiles on the red carpet ruin the stars look???? But I will give you this, even if a smile begins as fake, I do tend to really feel good once the camera flashes :D

Your last line should be a sense of inspiration..meaning that its okay to 'act like a nut', some may be surprised on how nicer the pic will come through.

I'm smiling :-) Can't type msuh more ..got longe naels one.

Renne.....

See, even with a simple smile, it gives a brighter outlook on the pic and your appearance :)

christinac
04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Very good point Marissa. What I ment by my first post here is that the starter post of the thread here is coming from a point of view that I haven't picked up on, so I was kind of asking a question trying to answer my own question.

Marissa
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Very good point Marissa. What I ment by my first post here is that the starter post of the thread here is coming from a point of view that I haven't picked up on, so I was kind of asking a question trying to answer my own question.

LOL..oh okay, Christina :) You actually made me reread your first post and maybe that 'first pic' can be a shy one..so I would understand that..but when response come back at a person with suggestions 'smile, pull hair away from face, modify makeup..' etc, its discouraging when none of it is taken on the next set. Eitherway, hope others will view this thread and maybe take some of the feedback..

christinac
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm sure they will. It took me a little bit to figure out what the thread was about because at first I was like what the H-double is she talking about because it is one of those proverbial issues that you don't see for it being dead infront of your face.

Kiera79
04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
the more i see the picture section the more i notice how many poeple that post there look unhappy,, why?
in my eyes if u feel confident in something it would make u strike a pose or smile alittle or show that im confident in this out fit. .
if your gana dress and post pics at least show something that makes us believe u wanted to dress up and have fun instead of looking like someone made u put it on and u hate it ,
thats my little rant and rave for the time being

ashley , (danielle)

Hi danielle

I so agree. It is crazy how we can be ourselves here and yet peeps still look like who done it. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do it if your not sure and if your not sure why even try because body language says all.

Pythos
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Heh!!. I know I am no poster child for smiling. But I have seen the "male frown" on many here. Some honestly do not look happy.

In my case, I honestly shoot for a neutral expression. I find it funny how many say I am not smiling. Ding! I'm not. LOL. But my eyes if one look do show some happiness, or glee ( I guess), at least I hope they do.

I have smiled in some pics, and many I look positively sinister, or evil. heh.

There is one shot I have where the smile I have makes me look like David Bowie's character Jereth from Labyrinth. Mostly due to my teeth. LOL.

Here is that pic
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5313282417_e720280937.jpg
See? AAAAAAaaaaa Look at those teeth!!! Well Bowie and I have one thing in common. We have British mouths. LOL

Kelly DeWinter
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
I can't disagree with this post more. As an artist and a photographer, smiling is overated. I've seen hundreds of photos here where there are no smiles and the pictures are wonderful. I've attached a few photo examples of mods that can be captured without smiles. And one example of when NOT to smile. One of the best lessons I recieved on my first photoshoot, was to use your body and face to express emotion and not to rely on smiles.

Mona Lisa type pensive ?

Smiling can be dangerous

Expressive

Natural

Over expressive !

Amanda22
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I completely agree with the OP's message. If this is truly one of the biggest things that makes us happy, why do we look so miserable in our photos? A smile is the most important accessory, for anyone in fact.

danielle.cd
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
dont every one feel guilty now lol , all i was saying is sultry , goth, pouty, smileing, sexy, is cool unhappy not so cool , change it up alittle , hand on the hip strike a pose do something fun , ho hum isnt the best for showing your confidence ,
ive seen men in a dress that show more confidence than some of the fully made up cds on here ,

own it , if your gana post a pic dont u wana put your best foot forword so to speak . thats all i was saying ,

Marissa
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I can't disagree with this post more. As an artist and a photographer, smiling is overated. I've seen hundreds of photos here where there are no smiles and the pictures are wonderful. I've attached a few photo examples of mods that can be captured without smiles. And one example of when NOT to smile. One of the best lessons I recieved on my first photoshoot, was to use your body and face to express emotion and not to rely on smiles.

Mona Lisa type pensive ?

Smiling can be dangerous

Expressive

Natural

Over expressive !

See...even JAWS knows how to work that smile to look sooooo cute :) Okay, just kidding with that.

Kelly, its not being said that all non-smile pics are bad..even i said that a sultry or demure look is great..and you prove it to a T (or whatever that expression is..lol) in your avatar. And yes, I love the various looks you give in your multitude of pics but with your experience and at times makeup artists to direct, your look can be captured as anything but uptight/angry/sad.

Not every pic has to be a senial smile..but some should try to find different expressions to see what is best for what pose. I rarely 'not' smile because I do look upset if I don't.

The samples you provided are nice ones, with the expressive being fine as it is just a somber look, not sad or angery, etc.

The natural one could be mistaken for one who is sad..and if one posed to expressed that, then it fits. Now I said could be..just as any pic can be interpreted in various ways as we all see things differently.

the_me
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Oooh, I'll so weed out all the pictures I just took that have smiles and go post them over there ASAP!

carhill2mn
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Ashley,

I happen to agree with you! If you are enjoying being en femme it would be nice to be able to see that (I am assuming that is the case).

carhill2mn
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Kelly says:

Hi Kelly, my understanding of Ashley's post was that there are many ways to express to others that you are enjoying yourself;
smiling is just one of them. Body language is another as well as the "pose" and overall "feeling" projected by the photo.

the_me
04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Here's a smile for everyone/anyone!

Marissa
04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Celes, I hope you have a great sense of humor..as I am teasing you..but have you ever looked at a baby when they have the expression..and wonder what is going on and then the smell hits ya???????? :)

Now as I said, Im just teasing..k? :)

Kathi Lake
04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I know, right!

I usually comment something along the lines of, "Smile! You're dressed as a pretty woman. What's not to smile about?!"

Heck, in my pictures, I'm usually smiling like a madwoman! This thing we get to do rocks! I love it, and it shows - as it should.

:)

Kathi

Lori B
04-19-2011, 05:10 PM
"even if it requires being wired on mojitos">>>>>>> lol,,,I`m with ya there Nathalie ;)

the_me
04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Celes, I hope you have a great sense of humor..as I am teasing you..but have you ever looked at a baby when they have the expression..and wonder what is going on and then the smell hits ya???????? :)

Now as I said, Im just teasing..k? :)
Haha! Does it stink that bad? Now that you figured me out, what exactly are you smiling about? :P

Marissa
04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Haha! Does it stink that bad? Now that you figured me out, what exactly are you smiling about? :P

I'm sorry, but that was what came to mind when a baby gives that tensed expression and then..dang, diaper change time.. lol.. oh..mine is just a plain ole fake smile..is it working for me?????? :) (<~~fake again..lol)

Pythos
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I'll make this one small. But look at this goofy smile.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/5176750284_914588639b_m.jpg

Then I guess a more demure look from the dark one
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/5176749430_3080111eaa_m.jpg

Not a full smile in that last one, but I like how it looks.

christinac
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
LOL! Marissa, did you really have to bring up diapers? My daughter used to make the flies wear an oxygen mask!

Marissa
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
LOL! Marissa, did you really have to bring up diapers? My daughter used to make the flies wear an oxygen mask!

Christina: Now that is funny :)

Pythos: I'm going to try to give feedback but honestly Goth is not my thing, nor do I have a lot of knowledge about it all..so most of my opinions/thoughts is based on it not being my thing..call me close minded and I'm okay with that..its IMHO :) Now with that stated..the second pic works for the look you are presenting, kind of like the Expressive pic that Kelly used as a sample. And maybe the Mona Lisa look would work too with a slight smile but not overly done.

Again, with limited experience, I never really saw Goth or similiar dress be ones to present a happy mode..more of serious or unemotional. Hope this helps as some type of feedback.

Mona Lisa or Expressive

danielle.cd
04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
see pythos owns it and knows its part of her look , and doesnt look unhappy to be that way

christinac
04-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Marissa: It is funny now, but sure wasn't very funny then.

Pythos: I really know very little if anything at all about Goth, but the, I guess, demure look does appear to be more in keeping with the style, but like I said I really don't know enough about Goth to give a good sound answer.

Sara Jessica
04-20-2011, 08:54 AM
...I never really saw Goth or similiar dress be ones to present a happy mode..more of serious or unemotional.

What, you've never heard the song by The Divine Comedy called "The Happy Goth"???

I have experience on the fringe of that scene for the better part of 25 years, some of the most charming, happy and down-to-earth people I have met.

Pythos, FWIW, I like both of those smiley pictures.

Marissa
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Marissa: It is funny now, but sure wasn't very funny then.

Know what you mean..had my RUN-ins (pun intended :heehee: with the situations too.

What, you've never heard the song by The Divine Comedy called "The Happy Goth"???

I have experience on the fringe of that scene for the better part of 25 years, some of the most charming, happy and down-to-earth people I have met.

Pythos, FWIW, I like both of those smiley pictures.

No, Sara, I have not heard that song before :D. I'll have to take your word on the emotional expressions of the Goth scene. My exposure was a bit of Punk Rockers, Goths in the clubs..and of course a daughter who 'tried' to live that life..lol..

Pythos
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Marissa, I am always having to explain this. Goths are NOT depressed predominately. I do like how you say we "seem serious, or unemotional", that often is the "image" presented. I do find it funny though when someone says they don't know something about some group, and they are fine with that. LOL.

That is not exactly the best method for learning things in life.

I know of only a few "depressed" goths. Those people are ones that have joined the fringe and adopt some of the looks, and mannerisms, but are highly emotional. They get labeled rightly or wrongly, "Emo".

Goths can be very happy, and downright goofy. Believe it or not the upper picture of mine, is much more to the Goth I know. LOL. We pose all serious and unemotional, but at least in my circle we are rabid gamers, and very imaginative.

Goths are just as misunderstood and wrongly categorized as crossdressers. One lost her life due to bigotry against it.

I will say it again Those two shooters at columbine WERE NOT GOTH

sorry for going on a tangent. This thread was about smiling in pics. There are times a fake smile is worse than a real frown.

Jason+
04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
When I smile mothers collect small children and begin to rapidly lock doors and windows. Anyone left begins to worry what I've done or am about to do.

Marissa
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
That is not exactly the best method for learning things in life.

Goths can be very happy, and downright goofy. Believe it or not the upper picture of mine, is much more to the Goth I know. LOL. We pose all serious and unemotional, but at least in my circle we are rabid gamers, and very imaginative.

Pythos, to keep in light (and respect) of what this thread is actually about, I'm going to refrain from giving my further thoughts of Goth or lifestyles of that nature..on this thread.

I have learned and seen alot in my 47 years, including traveling to various cultures ;)..so sometimes I'm okay with not delving into topics/areas that my life will not be interacting in, unless I choose to.

And you of all people should know that what is 'expressed' publicly is what is judged, not the openness shown at private or semi-private functions.

Alice Torn
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I almost always post only my smiling photos, My scowling, or glum ones would turn everyone off!!

Alice Torn
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh well, here is a smiley, and a non smiley.

Shelly Preston
04-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I think a lot of it can be down to us being self conscious

I know my best pictures are when someone else had taken the pic when I am happy and relaxed

Sometimes a smiling picture can look worse

Jennabug
04-27-2011, 08:32 PM

OMG! Dad/Christina may be in the hospital a few more days!!

Marissa
04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
OMG! Dad/Christina may be in the hospital a few more days!!

Hi Jenna, hope she/dad gets better quickly. Now you have read this funny post and can 'discuss' it as needed.. lol.. I laughed big time just thinking of flies with gas masks :)

Jennabug
04-27-2011, 08:45 PM
You've never been stuck in the same car with him/her after he/she has been eating beans or turnip greens. That is time for an oxygen mask.

Marissa
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
You've never been stuck in the same car with him/her after he/she has been eating beans or turnip greens. That is time for an oxygen mask.

So...is that like the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree??? or something like that.. :) this is what is called hijacking a thread..so off topic ;)

VioletJourney
04-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Actually, the only thing that makes me smile these days is being dressed! I haven't had a picture of a real smile in years before the ones I showed all of you.

Jennabug
04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
To get back on the topic. In my personal opinion, in most cases a smile does make the difference between night and day in a photo. Of course it also depends on the theme of the photo. For example if you're trying to replicate an 1800's theme then there would be a very little to no smile. Like dad/Christina, I really don't know a whole a lot about goth myself, but from what little I know of goth the little to no smile in a photo is in keeping with the goth theme.

Barbara Dugan
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't know why but the every time I dress the smiles came real easy, it's just natural.....one time I show some pictures to my therapist and she noticed how happy I seemed to look...it's just like my soul is liberated...I've seen that same kind of feeling around this forum

Jennabug
04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm no therapist by any means, but it seems to me that if you are living and being who you truly are inside and out then a smile is only natural.

t-girlxsophie
04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Ive never been happy with my smile,I can honestly say I've only taken a handful of decent smiley pics,but I keep persevering

Maria 60
04-28-2011, 04:41 AM
Funny your saying this because i take alot of pics of Maria and my wife told me how much Maria has changed threw out the years but the only thing is she never smiles. Now that she told me this iam going to smile in my next pics.

Kathryn Philips
04-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Here are half a dozen smiles from my recent pictures...

GirlyBits
04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I think a lot of times that a stern face can give a really sexy edge to someone. Smiling is definitely a good thing though!