PDA

View Full Version : The differance between drag and crossdressing

Pinky188
04-20-2011, 07:39 PM
So my girlfriend and I are disputing the differernce between doing drag and crossdressing. What do you all think?

jill_cd_girl
04-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm not completely certain about the semantics of all these terms, since I take it that the proper meanings tend to be largely determined by current usage. Here's what I understand:

"drag" can be a pejorative term, but it certainly need not. 'Drag' seems to have a kind of performative aspect to it, or a sense of heightened flamboyance in appearance and demeanor (a kind of extravagant look). 'Crossdressing' seems more to do with simply dressing in the clothing of the opposite sex. While 'crossdressing' is usually used to describe a male who dresses in female clothing, it need not (it can equally apply, I believe, to women who dress in men's clothing). 'Drag', however, seems fairly exclusive to males who dress in women's clothing (with a flair or panache).

When I think 'drag', I automatically think of some of the characters of the movie Priscilla Queen of the Desert. 'Crossdresser' doesn't conjure up such images.

I think, however, in the popular mind, 'drag' and 'crossdresser' tend to be blurred together. For example, someone might say "Did you see so-and-so last night? He was totally in drag" and here, 'drag' seems to be used in way that's fairly interchangeable with 'crossdressed'.

Sorry if this isn't much help.

julia ann
04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Personally I think the difference is drag you do for someone elses enjoyment or entertainment and crossdressing is for your own enjoyment.

NathalieX66
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
For a loose generalization, "drag" is primarily meant for performance , and the outfits & clothing are intentionally over-the-top (and often an exaggeration of women) as part of the act, while crossdressing is just simply dressing the way a woman does.
Since I see myself as both genders in one person, Nathalie is the female half of me.

SarahMarie42
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Drag is a part of gay culture that deals primarily with subverting gender stereotypes and roles and relies heavily on camp and glitz. Cross dressing constitutes its own culture and has more to do with one's personal feelings about gender identity.

JamieTG
04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
On one hand the term "dressed in drag" is used most often to describe a man dressed up in womens clothes. But drag is also used in the term "drag queens" which makes me think of the over the top, flamboyant look which is more for show. I don't know if that helps settle the dispute.

Taylor186
04-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Of course these definitional discussions are full of land mines, but I generally think that those doing "drag" are doing it for performance reasons and crossdressers are doing it to fill some inexplicable personal need. Of course, some, like me, combine the two.

Eve_WA
04-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Well the formal definition is, Drag - DRessed As Girl from Shakespearean times. But today it has become more of a description of performance based activities, Drag Queen, Drag show, etc.

docrobbysherry
04-20-2011, 10:54 PM
No matter how hard u try, I WON'T let any of u CROSSDRESSERS DRAG me into this discussion!

Vickie_CDTV
04-20-2011, 11:44 PM
A drag queen is a performer (and usually gay.) Some DQs I have known are also TS and do drag for a living or for fun. A DQ could be a CD as well I suppose, though I have not met any personally.

darla_g
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
i like Jill CD's answer the best, but everyone gets an honorable mention.

I get a real chuckle out of the DQ acronym, it just makes me think of Dairy Queen....

ChanDelle
04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I think you've all pretty well summed it up. To me, drag has pretty well become synonymous with drag queen thanks to Ru Paul. Not necessarily a bad thing with his Drag U, etc. All those folks are blinged up to a pretty high and exaggerated degree. I wouldn't consider myself one of them, but rather a crossdresser maybe bordering on transgender aspects.

ChanDelle

Eryn
04-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Back when I was in high school, "drag" was when you took a date with you to the dance, as opposed to "stag." :)

Oh, language is such a slippery thing!

GaleWarning
04-21-2011, 03:25 AM
And the word "drag" also meant a sad state of being, as in the song with the lyrics
"Kind of a drag ...
When your baby don't love you."

Pinky188
04-21-2011, 04:31 AM
I agree with all of you! Thanks for setting it straight for her!

Kate Simmons
04-21-2011, 04:54 AM
Simple really. If you get tips from watchers for being en femme dancing and/or performing it's considered "drag", if you don't get tips it's not.:)

erickka
04-21-2011, 05:33 AM
This is another one of those stupid "labels" that has been slapped on us. It used to be that "drag" meant being flambouyant and waaaaay over the top, even making a mockery of females in general, and crossdressing meant trying to emulate a woman in her everyday life as closely and respectfully as possible.

KrystalA
04-21-2011, 05:44 AM
When I hear the term "drag", I immediately think of Milton Berle on his old TV show. Rather demeaning to a crossdresser.

Julie Rose
04-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Yes, I think of comedy too when I hear "drag". Do you remember Monty Python's "drag races"?

Tina B.
04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
The main thing to remember when it comes to Drag, VS Cross Dress, they both have to do with a man wearing a dress! So there different, but the same.
Tina B.

JenniferR771
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Drag is sometimes used as shorthand for dressed. SO says, "If you go to support group in drag Tuesday, you cannot stay out late at the gay bar afterwards." (Finally sounds like acceptance. ) "Oh, Ok, I can go in drag."
"No I said DRAB, not drag." And no hiding a wig in the car. Sigh...

divamissz
04-21-2011, 08:53 AM
The very simple answer is that "drag" is what RuPaul does and "crossdressing" is what Tootsie did. A difference in presentation and flamboyance.

And now, my personal, not-so-simple answer (agree or not, it's up to you)...

Crossdressing is about looking like your typical woman-blending in for the most part. Drag is about looking like a very flamboyant, larger-than-life, stylized woman. Crossdressers will try to emulate what they believe "normal women" do-how they walk, gestures, speaking, etc. Drag queens* develop a character or an attitude that reflects their appearance; to be the center of attention both on stage and off.

But there are places where the lines blur. What about the crossdresser who goes to a nightclub in an animal print minidress, six inch stiletto heels, dramatic makeup and hair? Or, the drag queen who is out with friends in jeans, print top, sandals, makeup and hair that's not so dramatic?

It's more often believed that crossdressers are either heterosexual or bisexual; drag queens are gay. But there's crossdressers that are gay, and drag queens who are straight-though both are far less common than their counterparts. Transsexuals often begin exploring their gender identity as crossdressers-or drag queens.

There's a belief on the part of some crossdressers that drag queens don't like them-and vice versa. Crossdressers see a drag queen's attitude, their confidence and persona as being totally opposite from what they are; drag queens see crossdressers as repressed, looking down on them because they they can be what they want to be. But both are wrong-and right. Crossdressers need to see drag as legitimate an expression of gender as what they are doing; drag queens need to realize that crossdressers want to be "just another girl" and maybe that's a good thing.

Personally, I like crossdressing and I like drag. I'll borrow from both, because while I like blending in, being noticed ain't a bad thing, either. I've met some drag queens who were total bitches-in and out of a dress. But most were just people who could be kind, sweet, generous and supportive. In other words-they're people.

*For simplicity, I'm using the term "drag queen" to refer to men who do drag, performers, female impersonators, etc. There's differences but as Alton Brown would say, that's another show...

JamieG
04-21-2011, 11:02 AM
On one hand the term "dressed in drag" is used most often to describe a man dressed up in womens clothes. But drag is also used in the term "drag queens" which makes me think of the over the top, flamboyant look which is more for show. I don't know if that helps settle the dispute.

Two Jamie's agree - I think the distinction made here is a good one. I think "in drag" is practically a synoynm for "en femme," although the latter has classier connontations (perhaps, the instant "French effect"). Drag queens are about performance, and most can't wait to get out of the skirts and heels once the performance is over. Note, there are also drag kings (women who perform as over-the-top stereotyped men). They often go with the boy band or gangsta image.

celeste26
04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Pinky both of those terms are "general in meaning" but certain groups have taken them and used them for special purposes and as you can see from all the previous posts it means what you put into them, not what's in them to begin with. Some of us grew up in a certain way and they feel one or the other is more appropriate but in fact neither is anything but the most general expression. People go on and on about using Transvestite vs cross dresser and those two again, mean exactly the same thing and what a person brings to the discussion will determine how they see each of the words.

In a way it is far less important which word is used than how you feel about them. Also we need to get over any issues we may have about "words" anyway, since we are human beings not words

Frédérique
04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
…my girlfriend and I are disputing the difference between doing drag and crossdressing. What do you all think?

I don’t wish to hurt the feelings of those few proponents of DRAG that may exist on this site, since this topic has been discussed several times in recent memory, but, to be blunt, when I hear the word DRAG used in place of crossdressing, I wince…
:doh:

To me, DRAG is an exaggerated form of crossdressing that has its origins in the theater. It has little or nothing to do with passing, since the idea is to draw attention to oneself by wearing the “wrong” clothes. Laughter may ensue, unless you’re a crossdresser actively trying to pass. Speaking from a position that some may interpret as arrogance, I don’t see anything funny about crossdressing, and DRAG has done nothing to foster understanding about what we do. DRAG may be the acceptable face of MtF crossdressing, so any attempt to seriously crossdress is seen as some kind of joke. It makes everything more difficult, especially if you’re trying to explain why you need to express yourself in this manner to someone who only knows crossdresing as DRAG...

I know there are all variations of DRAG, just like more serious crossdressing, but I’m talking about what is seen in the media, then remembered, accepted for what it is, and thought about no further. Case closed, which is unfortunate – we MtF crossdressers deserve better. That being said, rather than endlessly split hairs over terminology, I think we should all simply enjoy crossdressing…

Zoe Preston
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Erickka posted more or less what I was about to say. My thoughts are that Drag is more a parody of women whereas Crossdressing is - by and large - emulation of women.

But what's a label or two between friends :D

Zoe

sissystephanie
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Zoe said it very plainly!! My only difference with her is what she said about a label or two between friends! We do not need any more labels!!!!!!

Jessica Who
04-22-2011, 05:40 PM
To me, it just means "Dressed as a girl" and like any other term in the LGBTQ community, it is open to interpretation :)

Lori B
04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Erickka posted more or less what I was about to say. My thoughts are that Drag is more a parody of women whereas Crossdressing is - by and large - emulation of women.

But what's a label or two between friends :D

Zoe

pretty much the way I feel too, Zoe :)

Rianna Humble
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
The main thing to remember when it comes to Drag, VS Cross Dress, they both have to do with a man wearing a dress! So there different, but the same.
Tina B.

Especially when it comes to Drag Kings who are women performing in an OTT version of male garb

Briana90802
04-23-2011, 09:17 AM
After reading so many of the posts on here about this being that and that being this, I was wondering if anyone realizes just how relative the terms are? People say things as if they are definitive and factual, when in actuality the terms crossdresser and drag queen are open to interpretation. One person's drag queen is another person's crossdresser. So how can people say RuPaul is a dq and tootsie was cd when clearly that's only one persons opinion.

So really, the only difference is how you define them.

Lorileah
04-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Simple really. If you get tips from watchers for being en femme dancing and/or performing it's considered "drag", if you don't get tips it's not.:)

Oh I thought when I did that it was called pole dancing

Fuzzlette
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM
For my two cents, crossdresing is a life syle and drag is OTT entertwinment

Violetgray
04-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Drag has two popular meanings

1.) A form of entertainment. This art can come in many different forms, but most often require a stage, an audience, and music.

2.) A state of being crossdressed. If you say "I saw Steve in drag" people will assume that you saw him dressed as a woman.

Crossdressing is the physical act of wearing women's clothes. It can work with either of drag's definitions, but not necessarily definition 1.

To me, your question is kind of like asking, "What's the definition between cooking and frying?"

Frédérique
04-24-2011, 03:03 PM
…the terms crossdresser and drag queen are open to interpretation. One person's drag queen is another person's crossdresser. So how can people say RuPaul is a dq and tootsie was cd when clearly that's only one persons opinion. So really, the only difference is how you define them.

True, but I think it’s safe to say that RuPaul is a “drag queen.” This may indicate a good example of a term that has been decided upon – see Ru as a crossdresser if you must, but there’s nothing restrained about his/her exaggerated appearance or performance. Tootsie is also a drag performance of an all-together different feather – can you at least recognize that there are different types of DRAG? The fact that the latter was “performed” in a fictitious climate (a movie), where obviously un-passable males somehow pass easily as passable females, and done (as usual) for comedic purposes, firmly places this example into the category of drag…

To me, your question is kind of like asking, "What's the definition between cooking and frying?"

More like, “What’s the difference between whispering and screaming?” if you ask me…:heehee:

StarrOfDelite
04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
"Drag ya' for beers!" Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin, The Wild One (1953), one of my favorite single lines in all of moviedom, and I rival Tony DiNozzo as a film cultist.

Billie Jean
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I might not know the difference but to me crossdressing surely isn't a drag. I like the answer dressed as a girl great acronym. Billie Jean

Taylor186
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I might not know the difference but to me crossdressing surely isn't a drag.

LOL, that's it: If being in drag is a drag then you're not a crossdresser, you're a drag queen.

darla_g
04-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Strangely enough why is it that many women (ok let's limit this to GGs here) seem to like Drag and all its flamboyance, but not always accept crossdressing. Why is that?

Taylor186
04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
On the topic of drag, I just found this fun film/documentary yesterday about the longest running drag club in the USA. It's titled "Queens of Hearts: Community Therapists in Drag" and can be viewed for free at Snag Films. It even has a sympathetic view of crossdressing starting at around 25 minutes. Total run time 49 minutes.

Here: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/queens_of_heart/

Fab Karen
04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh I thought when I did that it was called pole dancing
So you've stopped doing the lapdances then? ;)

LilSissyStevie
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
The difference is crossdressers quibble endlessly over the definintions of drag queen, crossdresser, transvestite, etc. and drag queens don't.

bridget jones
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Drag is more of a show,wild dress/makeup. Crossdressing is representing yourself as an average female,not so extravagent

Avana
04-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Drag is a part of gay culture that deals primarily with subverting gender stereotypes

no, genderf*ck suberts stereotypes

but drag is basically the monetization of gender stereotypes.

Josie M
04-28-2011, 06:28 AM
I'll echo what others have already said. My understanding is that "drag" is more parody while "crossdressing" is more persona, or, as I once put it when asked this question before..

Drag Queens are trying to stand out while crossdressers are trying to blend in.

sometimes_miss
04-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Back when I was growing up (60's and 70's) the term being in drag simply referred to wearing female outfit a guy wore instead of guy clothes. It didn't refer to performers any more than anyone else. When you added the 'queen' to it, it referred to someone who was not so much 'over the top', but more 'on the top', having done everything to maximize the female presentation, corrected figure, perfect hair, perfect makeup, accessories, jewelry, etc., shaving all necessary parts, etc.. Gradually as female impersonators became more popular in entertainment, the term drag queen was used to refer to them rather than the average well made up CD'er on the street, and the meaning stuck.