PDA

View Full Version : Undersiege by kinders

dawnmarrie1961
04-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I stopped at a laundry-mat near the church that I’m going to in order to change into something more appropriate for Good Friday Service. The moment I walked into the building I was besieged by a group of kindergarteners. All little girls. They surrounded me on all sides and kept looking me over and pointing. “Are you a Girl?” They asked. I spoke up in my male voice, as always, and said “I’m a person.”
“What’s a person?” They asked me.
I pointed to myself “I’m a person.” then I pointed to them. “You are a person.”
“But does that mean you are a girl or a boy?” They asked.
“You are a person first.” I replied “You are going to find out someday that being a person is hard enough.”
I went into the restroom and changed out of the jeans and tee shirt I had been wearing into a nice dress and fixed my make-up for church.
When I walked out I was again surrounded by the same group of kids. Only this time they were all smiling and saying “You are a girl!” One of them even grabbed and squeezed one of my boobs.
I winced. “Ouch! That hurts.” And she, thank heavens, let go.
I said “Tootles, girls.” and went across the street to the church.

Not only do kids say the darnest things but they tend to grab you in the darnest places. And I've got a bruise on my boob to prove it!:devil:

erica12b
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I like your reply I am a person, and find it unsettling that even at a young age they want you classify us , sorry for the bruises kids are a hands on learning experience .

junetv
04-23-2011, 12:07 PM
One time during Halloween as I was standing in line to get the license plates for my car, a little toddler boy came up and grabbed my stockinged leg. It flustered me. I didn't have to use my voice. There's something about kids...they don't have the politically correct switch developed yet. :)

Persephone
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
A very cute story (sorry about your rather personally placed ouchie). You may have provided them with a valuable lesson.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Cynthia Anne
04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
What a great post and even greater answer! Next time I fill out a paper and it ask m for male f for female I will make my own little box and mark P!

Jilmac
04-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe those kindergarteners will grow up to not fear that which is different. This encounter seemed like a real learning experience for them.

Kaz
04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Dawn Marrie,

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I have brought up three daughters but I had forgotten about what they are like at this age. I now have a 4.5 year old grand-daughter who has just started noticing that there are boys and girls and they wear different things, etc..

I don't really think it is a big issue. they are exploring their world and noticing things and this, for them, is a big deal... as is my mum also has a mum, and so does she, etc!

I liked your response though! I hope it got them thinking, but I suspect that they are now just delighted that you either a boy or a girl... that makes their world safe and normal!

Duana
04-23-2011, 02:48 PM
...and find it unsettling that even at a young age they want you classify us.

Knowing that kindergarten kids are 5 years old tells me its natural curiousity so why would that be unsettling? They were experiencing cognitive dissonance, as in the picture below.

http://www.talisman.org/~erlkonig/humour/Illusions/cognitive-dissonance.jpg

JulieC
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
and find it unsettling that even at a young age they want you classify us

Human nature. Infants as young as six months can (and do) differentiate between what they see as male and female.

eluuzion
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a modern day scene from the Wizard of OZ. Are you sure those were not munchkins?:heehee:
:love: