PDA

View Full Version : Training for Fire/ EMS/ and Police

karinels
04-23-2011, 03:33 PM
As a volunteer FF, I was wondering if any out there ever trained on how to respond at a situation where one might encounter a CD in an emergency situation? I know most responders will be professional and curtious, but as a CD who is a vol FF, I hear talk at the house that makes me wonder how some would react. Does anyone know of any training that has been done in this regard, and better yet, know of a way to advertise such training so that I might implement it in our area?

James Kaon
04-23-2011, 03:46 PM
When I was a teenager, I went to a fire brigade for one day to see if I would want to go further.

Sorry to be blunt but the forces (police, fire, ambulance) dont think about social stuff. At no point during my experience was any discussion about what they wear. Its about what situation someone is in. Is someone's life at stake? could they be saved? Is one person more at risk than another? These were the questions. The forces who look after people dont give a flying f**k who it is. They operate on percentages.

I think this is a daft question - im sry, hope not to offend but it is.

J

Joan_CD
04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Having been in the business for 37 years I can say it doesn't matter what your sex, race, creed or dress is. When we responded we cared for a person. I have to admit that afterwards remarks might be made about things but during the emergency it is strictly professional.

karinels
04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks to both for the replies. I know the members of both our Fire Dept. and Rescue squad would act very civil to a situation like this. I guess I just would like to see what the reaction would be in a training environment. I guess I might be looking for a way to be dressed in front of them, but need an excuse like training that would make me comfortable in the situation. Also, would that kind of training be good as one never knows what to expect when responding in someones time of need?

Joan_CD
04-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure I understand. In training wouldn't you be wearing turnout gear? If you aren't wearing turnout gear (which would be surprising) then you may wish to dress in whatever way that does not interfere with the training. Training sessions are a place where you learn procedures to possibly save a persons life. Full concentration is needed.

kymberlyjean
04-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I believe the term you are looking for is Diversity Awareness. There are books and canned programs out there on it. My advice on "an excuse to be dressed in front of them" is to let that idea pass all together. Being dressed in front of your crew is not a good idea. Many of us go through periods where there is a strong desire to out ourselves to friends/coworkers. While each person/situation should be carefully considered on a case by case basis, in front of the whole department is a never a good idea.
Just my advice.
Kim

Vickie_CDTV
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I think she means she could dress up, and act as an example of a TG victim in a sort of role play/training program situation.

I agree with Kymberly, it is best to keep work and dressing separate to protect your job and reputation.

karinels
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank you all, and Vickie, that is what was on my mind but I could not form the words. Role playing a CD in need of help to see how the crews of our houses reacted was the idea I was having. They all know me as the long haired, beer drinking, crazy acting, demanding butthead who holds everyone to higher standards than they think is neccesary. But I only want to keep them all at a professional level that can be compared to no one. I thought this might be an idea to see reactions at a first glance scenario, but it might not be a good idea after all. Thanks for all the input.

Joan_CD
04-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Ohhh I understand now. Also remember that reactions at a drill are generally not the same as in an actual emergency. Adrenaline is flowing and chaos all around. The bantering and comments that occur at times during a drill vanish. I wouldn't worry about the crew. They will be fine. Kym is right. Not the best place to show your femme side!

thechic
04-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi there

We dont have any specific to CDs,TG or Etc. we are trained that you treat all patents with respect and dignity,no matter what,but we do get annoyed with drunks.

Chastitycd
04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I worked as a Critical Care Paramedic for almost 15 years, 8 of which I was a shift supervisor. I can tell you that personally when we got a call it did not matter who or what they are, we are there to help. In my 15 years I had exactly 32 calls that the patient was Transgendered and I can still to this day tell everyone one of their names simply because when they were in the back of my truck I always went out of my way to make them comfortable and in some little way let them know they were not alone. One of those 32 was what we call a "frequent flyer," he had a desease that made him have siezures. On the day that I left the service, my last call was to him and he told me he always smiled when he saw me get out of the rig because he knew he was going to be treated like he should. That made my 15 years worth it.

As a supervisor, I was in a place to implement training for our county. Being that we had a TG frquent flyer, I asked the county admin for some time of training on how to correctly handle a call involving a Tg and to my surprise it was approved. The county EMS Director asked me to do some research on the subject and make a presentation (little did he know I needed no research :D). I created a 10 hour training course and even helped usher in a department policy about harrassment and non-disclosure of patient and call info after the call is completed. After all was said and done, if you were caught making fun of anyone who was a patient at any time you were subject to dismissal. Not saying people didnt talk, but they didnt around me. To my knowledge my training program is still being taught today once a year to all county employees.

Chastity