PDA

View Full Version : A question for our U.K. sisters...

Leslie Langford
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
With the frenzy over Kate and Will's upcoming nuptials now moving into high gear across the pond, has all that focus on fashion and the speculation over who will be wearing what had any significant influence on your own desire to crossdress in your best finery?

Better yet, has this stirred up any latent urges to adorn your heads with a "fascinator", or else an ornate, over-sized hat of the type often favoured by both the female members of the royal family as well as British high society in general? :eek::heehee::doh:

Emily_3
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Not personally in terms of dress, my cousin however will be wearing her best most probably

:)

Gina X
04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Personally although I do wish them well and a long and happy marriage I'm a little whizzed off with the whole thing at the moment, every time you put the television on somebody is going on about the wedding in some way or another like showing an empty press stand and some twit standing there saying this is "where the press will be" no s--t sherlock, so I'm in danger of royal wedding overload long before the day, Grump over !!

Rianna Humble
04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm afraid that the only impact that the wedding of a bloke who can't get a job outside the family business to a woman who couldn't hold down a job outside of hers will have on me is that I will get overtime for working on that day. With luck I can shield myself from all the hysteria whilst I am at work.

I am not even impressed by Ms Middleton's famed "natural look", which is created by a make-up artist at a cost of hundreds of pounds per week.

Eloise
04-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Quite frankly, I couldnt care less about the whole thing. what people wear there will have no influence on me - unless the queen turns up in a pvc catsuit.

Jeannie
04-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Quite frankly, I couldnt care less about the whole thing. what people wear there will have no influence on me - unless the queen turns up in a pvc catsuit.

Now that would be something to report about.

Jeannie

Shelly Preston
04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I dont think what Kate will be wearing will influence my decisions in the slightest

It will be nice too see what all the other ladies are wearing to the wedding

Had and invitation arrived at my door then it would have been really interesting and a lot of fun deciding what to wear

Leslie Langford
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Well, considering that Prince Harry showed up in a Nazi uniform at a wild party not too long ago and the tabloids had a field day with that, never say "never". :eek::heehee::doh:

Kaz
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I've just been to see a favourite UK comedian of mine who will be unknown over the pond, Jeremy Hardy... now please take this in the spirit of black comedy with a hint of truth... but as he put it...

Someone you don't know from a family you don't know and with no friends or interests in common with your own gets married to someone else you and none of your family, friends and acquaintances know, in a church nowhere near you and neither you nor anybody you know is invited to the wedding... seriously, why would you be interested? Would they be interested in yours? Given that we taxpayers are contributing to the costs of this I don't remember the royal family dipping into their wallets when I got married!

There is a lot of media hype as there always is when the rich and powerful do something that they want lots of media hype over, and that hype fuels the mania that ensues from those who should know better so it takes on a life form all of its own. My mother is organising a party for the fellow residents of her apartment block - a marquee, champagne and nibbles, but it is really just an excuse to have a "do"! In the UK, we seem to need excuses to let our hair down and say hello to our neighbours. Then it will all be over and we can get back to our normal lives... which will now seem much richer because the silliness will be all over!

Honestly, I have nothing against the couple and hope they live happily ever after, but will it remotely affect my life? Well it is costing us as taxpayers when we can't affford it, so I will be paying more in taxes as a result... Is it an excuse to buy a new frock and a silly hat? If I was going then probably yes! I guess I could dress up, sip some fizzy wine and watch it on the box... but I suspect I will use the bank holiday to do something a little more useful.

Sorry for the negative viewpoint, but a massive number of Brits I know feel like this!

Christine1954
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Honestly, I have nothing against the couple and hope they live happily ever after, but will it remotely affect my life? Well it is costing us as taxpayers when we can't affford it, so I will be paying more in taxes as a result... Is it an excuse to buy a new frock and a silly hat? If I was going then probably yes! I guess I could dress up, sip some fizzy wine and watch it on the box... but I suspect I will use the bank holiday to do something a little more useful.

Sorry for the negative viewpoint, but a massive number of Brits I know feel like this!

I agree with you Kaz, I am one of those Brits that feel this way, I will enjoy the day off however.
Christine :)

Deanna B
04-25-2011, 04:10 PM
hi i can have the day off but i want to work the road will be empty and i can get to work quicker and home quicker and yes the bl##dy inland revenue (tax man) wiil got most of it to fund the wedding . i don't know why they cannot use ther own money. but dear of them they love each other .oyes dear to us to . sorry but money is a bit tight love deanna b

pink femme
04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah - I want to go and buy and replica of he wedding dress (not seen it yet but i bet it will be fabulous). Want to buy and wig that looks exactly like Kate's hair. Want to higher the beautician that will be responsibile for her hair and makeup on the day. Want to be Kate!!

Other than that, we having a party and I will be glued to the TV at 11 coz I think it is really romantic and princess like, so there!!

Debglam
04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
There is a lot of media hype as there always is when the rich and powerful do something that they want lots of media hype over, and that hype fuels the mania that ensues from those who should know better so it takes on a life form all of its own. My mother is organising a party for the fellow residents of her apartment block - a marquee, champagne and nibbles, but it is really just an excuse to have a "do"!

This is very funny as my mother-in-law, a very proper little old lady, plans to have some of her friends over to watch the wedding on TV. Dressed up, etc., as above. We all had dinner together last night and she asked if she could watch at our house as we have a larger TV. My wife automatically said "yes" until I shot her a knowing look and she retracted. We smiled at each other and I almost couldn't finish the meal as I was holding back laughter!

You see, Friday is a day off of work for me and a "Debby day." My mother-in-law is a very sweet woman and I'm sure would be OK with my CD'ing when she learns of it! I had this mental picture of coming down the stairs in my wedding day finery and popping down on the sofa with her and her friends!

Somehow, I think the only words she could get out would be "Oh my!" :lol2:

Cheers,
Debby

Kaz
04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
This is very funny as my mother-in-law, a very proper little old lady, plans to have some of her friends over to watch the wedding on TV. Dressed up, etc., as above. We all had dinner together last night and she asked if she could watch at our house as we have a larger TV. My wife automatically said "yes" until I shot her a knowing look and she retracted. We smiled at each other and I almost couldn't finish the meal as I was holding back laughter!

You see, Friday is a day off of work for me and a "Debby day." My mother-in-law is a very sweet woman and I'm sure would be OK with my CD'ing when she learns of it! I had this mental picture of coming down the stairs in my wedding day finery and popping down on the sofa with her and her friends!

Somehow, I think the only words she could get out would be "Oh my!" :lol2:

Cheers,
Debby

Debby, that is such a picture you just painted! Wonderful.. :heehee:

t-girlxsophie
04-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Of course I wish the young Couple a long life together,But Personally myself and my Wife are both left cold at this whole Royal Wedding,The poor old British taxpayers is funding this day for Priviledged freeloaders,and they pat the heads of the workers by "allowing" us a day off,better tug our forelocks at our betters,It sums up whats wrong with the Class system in Britain,And the Press will surely give us "the Wedding that brings the Nation together" rubbish.Sure as a CD I would enjoy seeing everyone in their Outfits,and the Wedding Dress she wears,but Im sure I can live without it.

Sophie

Rianna Humble
04-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Want to hire the beautician that will be responsibile for her hair and makeup on the day.

Sorry, Pink, you or I could not afford the army of beauticians and hairdressers that will be working flat out to give kate her fabled "natural look".

I'd love to know why it will take no less than 6 hairdressers to style her hair on the day :eek: And apparently each of the makeup artists costs several hundred per hour. Incidentally, I'd also like to know what they charge when it isn't the taxpayer footing the bill.

DebsUK
04-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm very refreshed by most of the replies to this thread. I esecially liked Kaz's posting of Jeremy Hardy's take on the event as it pretty much sums up my views. I'm working and not being paid any extra as my hosoital is regarding the day as a normal one. They are, however, giving the staff an extra day's annual leave to be taken whenever we want which suits me fine. It will be a quiet day with most GP surgeries shut, I'll be avoiding the guff of the wedding and get an additional day off of my own, so it works quite well though I'd rather my taxes were going towards something a bit more worthwhile.
I'm mildly interested in the dress, though I'm sure it will be some over-sized meringue affair in ivory satin which wouldn't be my choice, though I'm not a big fan of bridal wear. I do hope they are happy as I would wish any couple, but the last few hundrrd years of history aren't really on their side.
I guess to put it another way "bah, humbug!" :lol:

Leslie Langford
04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I must say, I'm surprised by all of the negativity that I am seeing here with regard to the upcoming royal nuptials.

Has support for the monarchy in the U.K. really fallen to such depths overall? Or is it just fatigue with the Windsors, and all of the dysfunction that this family has displayed over the years?

What are we in the former "colonies" to make of all this? The Crown is just about the only thing that holds the Commonwealth together at this point, and if the Brits don't care about their monarchy, why should we?

This is a far cry from the outpouring of emotion and grief that gripped the nation when Princess Diana suffered her fatal automobile crash not that any years ago...

Rianna Humble
04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
This is a far cry from the outpouring of emotion and grief that gripped the nation when Princess Diana suffered her fatal automobile crash not that any years ago...

I think that the reaction to Diana's death had something to do with her dignified reaction to the way that the Windsors had tried to cast her aside as soon as she had done her job as a baby factory. That together with the way that her husband was flaunting his affair with a married woman and the fact that Diana proved she cared for real people such as victims of HIV or of land mines.

Shelly67
04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm looking foward to the event as I'll be attending in my slinkiest pvc little number barely covering all the dangerous bits . The thigh high boots have been polished by ones maid and my driver will be dropping me off at Canderdly Camerons no10 Downing st for pre wedding drinks and nibbles .
And if you believe all this then pubic hair is Peter rabbits cousin .

Seriously .. I wish them all the best , like most Englanders , but thats where the interest ends really ....

joanne york
04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I think it is going to be fab, I can't wait to see the dress! let's just think of the UK without a royal family! we should be proud of our heritage. x

joandher
04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I think it will be a fabulous day seeing all the ladies in their finery, and think about this, all the money the country will earn from the thousands of tourist flocking in to the U.K.and all the TV (TELEVISION )rights across the world its estimated that 2 billion people will be watching it,
GOD BLESS THEM

Hugs J-JAY xx

t-girlxsophie
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Well the obvious answer is the colonies dont have to pay for the thing,As for Diana am afraid I wasn't one of the grief stricken millions crying tears for someone I never knew,nor cared for much in the first place.The Royal Family has no place in a modern society,where poverty and unemployment is at record levels

ReineD
04-27-2011, 01:46 AM
I've been enjoying the snippets I see on television here and there and I was thinking about watching on Saturday. I can't wait to see what her dress will look like. I quite enjoy the pageantry.

It's the adult version of Cinderella, which was my all time favorite story when I was a child. :daydreaming:

I also had a crush on Mighty Mouse. :D

Rianna Humble
04-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi Reine, you might have more succes watching on Friday. I'm hoping that the media hysteria will have died down by Saturday.

ReineD
04-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Can you tell me when is the wedding? I'll have to adjust for my time zone.

And just think, Rianna ... 3-4 more days and then you can get back to normal! :)

I remember when Charles and Diana were married. I was living in Vancouver at the time and a co-worker was from the UK. She MADE me stay up with her to watch the wedding. I think it was in the middle of the night for us. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, but I did not like Diana's dress.

Anna B
04-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Of course I wish the young Couple a long life together,But Personally myself and my Wife are both left cold at this whole Royal Wedding,The poor old British taxpayers is funding this day for Priviledged freeloaders,and they pat the heads of the workers by "allowing" us a day off,better tug our forelocks at our betters,It sums up whats wrong with the Class system in Britain,And the Press will surely give us "the Wedding that brings the Nation together" rubbish.Sure as a CD I would enjoy seeing everyone in their Outfits,and the Wedding Dress she wears,but Im sure I can live without it.

Sophie

Thanks Sophie, that just about sums it for me too. Wish them well, Kate looks beautiful on all the pics I've seen so far, and good luck to them.

But that's it.

Anna x

Gina X
04-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Well the obvious answer is the colonies dont have to pay for the thing,As for Diana am afraid I wasn't one of the grief stricken millions crying tears for someone I never knew,nor cared for much in the first place.The Royal Family has no place in a modern society,where poverty and unemployment is at record levels

I'll second that, I couldn't have put it better myself ..................................

chrissie
04-29-2011, 01:33 PM
No thoughts of a hat or any clothes relating to today...

Spent most of day away from TV - my NHS team was closed had been given B/H

I think our friends in the colonies and maybe the rest of the world have a strange idea about our affection for royalty

That deferrence and obedience is much reduced but 'they' can wash up nice and put on a good show for special occesions and for the the tourists...

Vickie_CDTV
04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
It is funny, I know a few folks in the UK and all of them said they have nothing but contempt for the whole thing. From an American viewpoint, I'd feel exactly the same way if I were them; the appeal of a monarchy is beyond me.

Katie-Marie
04-29-2011, 02:12 PM
It doesn't matter if you like the Royals or not, watching the build up to the wedding on TV and seeing all the ladies looking so very beautiful made me long to be there in my finest dress.

karenhunni
04-29-2011, 02:15 PM
thought kates dress was beautiful xx

suzy1
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
The U.K. tourist authority predicts the wedding will boost tourism by £2bn. [yes £2 billion]
£107m boost to London hotels shops and restaurants.
Sales of Wills and Kate’s merchandise, £26m.

Now the down side.
The cost to the tax payer, £10m
Cleaning up London afterward £60,000
Security £7m

Not much of a down side is it!

And it was a lovely wedding!

SUZY

Gina X
04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
The U.K. tourist authority predicts the wedding will boost tourism by £2bn. [yes £2 billion]
£107m boost to London hotels shops and restaurants.
Sales of Wills and Kate’s merchandise, £26m.

Now the down side.
Security £7m

SUZY

Ah you're such an old softie Suzy !!! LOL

t-girlxsophie
04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
thats if you believe the figures,on the eve of elections their not going to turn round and show the negative figures.personally speaking thank god the whole over hyped things is over with.though I do admit to tuning into the evening news just to see the dress,and it was a gorgeous gown

suzy1
04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
thats if you believe the figures,on the eve of elections their not going to turn round and show the negative figures.personally speaking thank god the whole over hyped things is over with.though I do admit to tuning into the evening news just to see the dress,and it was a gorgeous gown

Quote from the film, life of Brian “there’s no pleasing some people”

Kaz
04-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Suzy... no there isn't I am afraid! If the figures stack up that is a net drain of taxpayers money from the underpriveleged North to the fat and rich South and in particular London. The same will happen with the Olympics! OK call me a typical Yorkie, but we have not gained economically from this.

Now... I have to say after my previous ravings that I am mug for pageantry and tradition, and I did have tears in my eyes at times when I skipped work to catch up on events. I thought the two fly pasts were great!

Seriously I would die to wear Kate's dress, but that's probably the only way I'd fit into it!

Absolutely brilliant day, I thought the Royals pulled it off in spectacular fashion - I particularly liked the minibuses! And the fact that Kate was so composed throughout! They make a great public couple and will do a lot for the Royal cause over the next few decades!

Anna B
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Now the down side.
Security £7m

SUZY

Agreed it was a lovely wedding but can we trust the official figures above? Our politicians and civil servants have told porky pies before...

Anna x

Stockingstopgirl
04-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Although I think Kate is a real beauty she is far too slim to influence anything I could wear. There are some on the day create there own style like Prince Andrews daughters who took a leaf out of there own book and dressed like the ugly sisters in Cinderella (enfasised in Pantomimes over here)