PDA

View Full Version : The cost of being beautiful

britney1
09-29-2005, 06:51 PM
As someone who has recently come to terms with themselves as being a crossdresser, I have decided to attain the nesecary equipment. I had no idea there was so much stuff to make us look so beautiful. I was curious how much each of you have spent total on crossdressing supplies. Including clothes, makeup, accessories, lingerie, shoes, wigs, etc...

Sherlyn
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
UMMMMMM ...UH ..I'm afraid too even figure it out ...would probably faint ...... and hardwood floors ouch !!!!!!!!:)

Wendy me
09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
i have been doing this like a long time girlfreind $2500.00 get real not that cheep way more but then again i am soooooooo worth it....lol.........

Sherlyn
09-29-2005, 06:59 PM
shes worth it yup but shhhhhhh Wendy your givin away your age ...hehe

GypsyKaren
09-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, I don't know how much for sure, but I've been at it a long time so it adds up. It's still the best therapy for me around, and a lot cheaper than my p-doc.

GypsyKaren

Kimberly
09-29-2005, 07:25 PM
It's rubbish living with parents.... limited "hidden" wardrobe space... student: limited funds...... BAH!

Never mind. If I don't shop soon I might actually burst! xx

Tiffy
09-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Been doing it for over 20 years. But in just the last four I have easily spent over $2500 a year. God only knows (and thoes who reaped the profit) how much I have spent in all the years I have done this.

Kisses, April

Bernadina
09-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure I want to know either.

Lets see. Breast forms alone, over $1,000. Corsets, $600. Coats, $800. Other clothes, lingerie, jewelry, makeup, shoes, perfumes, toiletries... I don't think the numbers go high enough, $2,500 isn't even close. It really adds up over the years.

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
UMMMMMM ...UH ..I'm afraid too even figure it out ...would probably faint ...... and hardwood floors ouch !!!!!!!!:)

Ain't that the truth. :o No one said being a girl is cheap (or easy). Bet you'll never complain about an SO taking too long to get ready now... ;)

Just remember that yes there's a minimum initial investment, but how much you spend is really up to you. To minimize on "what was I thinking" purchases, always think in terms of how something fits into your overall wardrobe (good advice for your guy closet as well).

A really good way to think about it is cost-per-wearing. For example, I spent $120 on a women's leather coat, but it's usually cool/cold in SF and it will last for years, so I'll get my money's worth out of it. ('Course it was marked down from $350, so I was saving not spending, right.... :rolleyes: )

If you're into thift store shopping, that's a good way to get started and experiment with looks inexpensive. Believe me, CDs definitely help keep them in business.

Sherlyn
09-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Im a thrift store shopper ...BUT Kew is hopin ta get me into new ...hmmmmm we will see when she takes me shopping lol ...OH but the make up aisle is where my money flies and lately skin products too ..im doing a face treatment right now that has cost 90 dollars already in 4 weeks eeek

Adrianne
09-30-2005, 01:17 AM
I have lost count on how much i have spent on crossdressing.

Adrianne.

Lisa Golightly
09-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Since I dumped the boy a few years back things have become more economical. I guess in a lifetime I'd put the cost at oooh I guess between £60,000 - £80,000... that's roughly $106,000 - $141,000. It's probably considerably more when you think of disposable things like bath product etc.

Rachael Warren
09-30-2005, 01:32 AM
I view myself as a "low Budget" girl, but must have spent way over $2500 during the last 15 years!

Rachael. :)

Clare
09-30-2005, 01:51 AM
How much have i spent? Gosh, that's impossible to answer!

Well, i have no idea to be honest, but it must be an awful lot over the last thirty years!

Several purges haven't helped with a blowout in costs either!

Whatever money i've spent on femme 'stuff', it was worth it at the time and still is today.

The cost associated with being femme is worth every cent, let alone the $.

Christine.

windycissy
09-30-2005, 01:55 AM
It adds up, and the occasional purges are a bitch. I've learned a lot about shopping over the years, and my current wardrobe was very reasonable to put together. I am a frugal girl, and I love to hunt for bargains at places like Marshalls, Filenes, and the outlets. Wigs are the number one most expensive item - my current one I got on sale in NY for about $70. Breast forms? I use birdseed in stockings. Makeup? Cover girl works just fine. My everyday purse cost about $35 on sale, and my comfy flats cost $9.99 at Payless. My trenchcoat (a must in Chicago) was my most expensive item: $99 on sale and worth it. Pantyhose are a drain, another reason to wear pants...in dressing like a woman, I try to emulate the working girls I see everyday, they put together cute outfits on very little money and so can we. Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-30-2005, 02:25 AM
As far as make-up, if you've got the budget, you may want to invest in department store foundations, particularly if you go get worked on in person. That's because matching your skin tone is important to looking natural, and it's harder to do this picking department store stuff off the shelf. Plus, MAC makes some good foundations that help cover beard shadow.

Qualities differences are less important between department and drug store brands for other things, like blush, mascara, eye shadow and lipstick. Department store brands do tend to be a bit more adventurous in terms of colors.

As Windy says, you can get good at bargin hunting. For example, there's a reason it's been nicknamed Ross (Cross-)Dress for Less.

RachelDenise
09-30-2005, 05:10 AM
Time is the key here. The longer you have been dressing, the more you have spent. I've probably at least once spent that in 1 year alone! :eek:

Khriss
09-30-2005, 05:28 AM
hmm...hard to figure but, in comparison to my spending on "drab-male clothing"... a factor of about x 10 .. sounds about right !? :eek: ;) xx"K"

Stephanie Mancini
09-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Well i like to do this girl thing properly and i'd estimate upwards of £35,000 and rising! then there's the little extras a girl must have to present herself properly to the world at large,

Steph

robyn1114
09-30-2005, 07:08 AM
Like everyone else I'd be afraid to add it up. I thing I picked the two most expensive hobbies I could (not that I picked CDing it picked me), drag racing is my other hobby, not very girly, but 0 to 115 in a little over 12 sec is a rush

Lady Jayne
09-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Like everyone else I'd be afraid to add it up. I thing I picked the two most expensive hobbies I could (not that I picked CDing it picked me), drag racing is my other hobby, not very girly, but 0 to 115 in a little over 12 sec is a rush

Wow you girls can run fast! do you do it in heels? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

Natalie x
09-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey, some of you girls .... ! Phew! I thought I was crazy spending, at a guess, around £1,000 in the past 6 months since I started (say about $1,800?) but some of you have put me to shame. Whooee! Guess I'll just have to get out and start some serious shopping!

:thumbup:

Fallen Angel
09-30-2005, 08:43 AM
I have spent way over 2500.00 in outfits shoes and acceseries. :confuse: I have my own walk in closet just for me. 20 pair of shoes,4 pair of boots 3 of them thigh highs,8 leather mini skirts 4pair of leather pants 2 costum made,2 leather coats,12 tops 4 pant outfits, 3 evening gowns,4reg mini skirts,ast belts,5 purses, night wear, 3wigs,tons of jewlery this doesnt even incluede all my underwear.I even have a tool box that was converted for make up! and im still buy things.you can vever have enough things to go out in.Boy if I ever purge Id make some happygirls here on the forum xxx :c9:

BonnieJG
09-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Like everyone else I'd be afraid to add it up. I would like to get more but my wife says NO that it ! all my clothes I get for vale village keep the cost down the most that I spend is on my breast forms $250.00 make-up about $100.00 I have only one pair of shoes $30.00.

Sally Gray
09-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I have voted 1000 - 2500$ though I spend in £'s!

I have only been dressing properly over the last year or so..I reckon I have spent over £1000. That's what my credit card says!!

Though I wish could get some things from http://www.artigiano.co.uk/ (http://http://www.artigiano.co.uk/)

LindaTS
10-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Waaaaay over the $2500 mark. I don't even buy male clothes anymore. Kind of scary when you think about it. LOL

Billijo49504
10-04-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't really know how much, but my and I both like to shop for clothes. Actually I have more makeup than she has. I went from a new credit card at lane bryant to a platinum card in 13 months. We have spent lotttttts of $$$$.

~Kelly~
10-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Its the purging that adds up.....over my lifetime of dressing I have completely purged everything about 7 times. That can get pretty expensive when you factor in that EVERYTHING has to be replaced. I have however made up my mind to never go down that road again and hopefully my paycheck will thank me for that decision.

Rachel Morley
10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Phew! That's a good question! I've never thought to count it up, but I can tell you this much it's a hell of a lot of money!

Only recently I spend $267 on my new wig alone. Then there was about $150 on various types of foundation and beard cover before I settled on one I liked. Then there was a time before Marla and I were married I spent $200 on a pink party dress and over $140 on a corset...the list goes on and on. Notice I've only mentioned one item of clothing so far.

If you want to do a real good job, and do your best to look good it can burn a hole on your pocket easily. And I used to think golf was expensive.