PDA

View Full Version : Not able to dress and losing interest!

emmicd
09-30-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm not able to dress that often and am starting to lose interest.

I was pondering if I should give my dresses to goodwill.

I will keep my pants but I feel the dresses could go to better use rather than collecting dust in my closet.

Do others feel this way?

Emmi

Missy
09-30-2005, 12:32 AM
do not give them away just yet unless you plan on getting more to replace them when the feeling comes back. It may be a day or a week or even a month or longer but the feeling for me has always come back and there have been time that I gave it all away or some of it. When the feeling came back I found out I had to go out and buy stuff to replace the stuff that I gave up. Think about it before you give it away. there are clothing bags to put over dresses for storing.

Missy

Kierci
09-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Looking at your pics you have to nice of dresses to just give away, If I was anywhere near I woould take em for you, then return them when your desire returned (cus it will). I sudgest is get those vacume pack bags you have seen on tv, the space savers. pack up your clothes seal the bag then vaccuum the air out of it to protect the clothes and they wont take up alot of space. This way you will have them any time you want.

CharleneCD
09-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Emmi, I have dressed very little in the past month except for my earings, sandals and pink toenails (oops cant forget the panties). This is mostly due to time and stress issues from our impending move across the country. I am not having a problem with it because if I do feel a need there is a section of the closet waiting for me with a wonderful selection of pretty clothes. Just having the dress might be enough for you right now. If it suddenly wasnt there you might find things a little more difficult.

GypsyKaren
09-30-2005, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't give your things away just yet. Sometimes I don't get to dress that often, so I know how you feel about losing interest. Mine always comes back after I finally get around to doing it. It's okay to take breaks from it all, sometimes you just gotta clear your head. Give it some time and see how it goes.

GypsyKaren

mand
09-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh dear Emmi, this sounds serious :(

My thoughts are if that's how you are feeling love, just store them away.
I have a strong suspicion that the feelings will return.

Tell you what though Emmi, sometimes I wish that I could just dress as a guy when I have to go somewhere. It would make life so anxiety free just to be able to go out and just be totally ignored and not have to worry about ridicule.

However I am who I am so that's not really an option ;)

Don't rush into getting rid of anything just yet love.

love mand xxx :)

HaleyPink2000
09-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I have found that the urge comes back Hun! It's like way costly to replace things. So just don't do like everyone else here and myself have done and purge the clothing. Store them for later on. Believe me the urge does never really go away and it always comes back.
Haley:)

Tedi
09-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Emmi, Take your things, wash them, fold 'em up and put them away somewhere. The attic, cellar or where ever. I don't think you'll regret saving your clothes for later.
Several times in my life I've given away, thrown away or.. actually burned my gurlie stuff. Always to regret it sometime down the road. God, I wish I had all the clothes I'd accumulated over the years.
Think about what you're doing.. take time.

emmicd
09-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks for your concern and your suggestions and honesty. I have purged in the past to try to stop. I will have to really think this over.

A part of me feels it is the right thing to do to give the clothes to charity.

However the cd side feels the girl will probabaly be shopping again for dresses if they are no longer there.

I am so confused!

Thanks to all the girls who chimed in. I will have to think this over!

Emmi

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd say bag them up and stow them away somewhere safe. If you think you're really interested in getting rid of them, you could set a date to do so in the future if you're still not interested. Could be in 1-year, in 2-years, etc. or maybe set a date that's 2x-5x longer than the longest you've got without dressing. (I'd chose which ever is longer.)

(It's the same idea of getting rid of stuff you hang on to but never use -- except in that case you box it and tape it shut and don't open it if the deadline passes, otherwise you tend to keep it all over again.)

Goodwill will still be there.

Billijo49504
09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
As others have said, please don't do anything in haste. Besides if you hang on to the clothes long enough, they will be vintage or retro and worth more than you paid for them :) :)

FionaAlexis
09-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Do others feel this way?

Not right now Emmi. As I've said before I have in the past and I stopped. However I think my situation was a bit different inasmuch as I had unlimited freedom to dress whereas yours seems to be linked to your limited opportunity. Even now I have days when I just can't be bothered dressing - but usually when I do I feel pretty good about it.

A few years ago I didn't think I'd dress again for sorts of reasons - forgot skills, no money, no opportunity - but things have habit of changing - so I wouldn't toss your dresses out.

I know one girl who has very limited opportunities but who really makes the most of each occasion - much more so than I do. Maybe use your free time to study and develop other skills like photography or make up or whatever that will make your dressing time more rewarding.

Fiona xx

darcyann
10-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Hello

Do not give away, I also do not have time to dress minus the panties and Nylons. I had some nice close many years ago and I know regret that I gave it away. Keep it for awhile and if still have the same feeling I say do it. If clothes do not interest you at all and I mean no womens clothes whatsoever than go ahead. But if you do still like waering keep them.

Love

Darcy Ann

pedebra
10-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Emmi, I wouldn't give anything away. I have purged many times in the past and have always regretted it. From what I have read on this site and from my on experience is that we don't quit, we take a vacation. Dressing is a part of us. It is for many of us inconvenient and expensive to maintain two different persona. Oft times we are frustrated in our need to be who we are. We have to be sneaky, when we just want to say here I am, this is who I am. If you have lost interest, just pack your things away, you will need them again.

emmicd
10-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all your concern!

Based on the overwhelming responses and my prior experiences with purging I will hold on to my dresses.

Thank you for your advice!

Emmi

MsEva
10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Emmi, that seems the prudent thing to do. You can always unpack them when you wish.

emmicd
10-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you Ms Eva.

I'm glad to have support from such wonderful people!

By the way, I like your avatar. Very pretty picture!

Emmi

Julie
10-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm not able to dress that often and am starting to lose interest.

I was pondering if I should give my dresses to goodwill.

I will keep my pants but I feel the dresses could go to better use rather than collecting dust in my closet.

Do others feel this way?

Emmi

Yes, we all do! I went through that recently. I'm guessing it was due to my relationship with Dawn, not really sure, I just didn't feel like it.

And don't give anything away unless you like replacing them later. :doh: