PDA

View Full Version : Overhearing woman complain about wearing high heels

qaws123uk
05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I was at a wedding at the weekend and a few girls were complaining about wearing high heels.

One girl can only wear a max of 3 inch heels and another girl had heels which I think were 3 inches and she was struggling with how they felt and walking (in particular stairs). She said that she had never really worn high heels - she said she had not since she had met her fiance. (Never worn heels!! I love heels!!)

They were saying that when they tried higher than 3 inch heels they are wobbling all over the place.

I was think that I have heels which are higher and walk in them relatively fine!! I have some 3.5 inch heels and then my higher 5 inch heels. I have only worn round the house and not saying I could run in them but I don't wobble all over the place.

If only they know ... :)

JohnH
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
These girls apparently don't like to wear heels.

I have a pair of 4 inch stiletto sandals and I don't have any problems wearing them, even going up and down the stairs. I also have a pair of 2 3/4 inch wedge sandals that are more comfortable to my feet than dead flat sandals, and a pair of 2 1/2 inch pumps that feel to me no different than men's shoes.

Unemployment sucks. I would really like to get a pair of 3 1/2 inch stiletto pumps but I don't have the money.

Johanna

Tess
05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
These women might be doing themselves a favor avoiding heals. I've seen so many older women with deformed toes from, I assume, long wear of high heels that I'm glad my time in heels has been limited.

lori m crawford
05-02-2011, 09:15 PM
i think most girls not women back in the 50-60-70 that wer used to them girls this onely wear them at proms or dress up things not ever day like women did back then so that is why they say they hurt

docrobbysherry
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I've read a NUMBER of "heels" threads here. Discussing wearing 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" heels. And, how anything higher they can't handle?:brolleyes:

Nearly all the GGs in SoCal wear flats, tennies, or very low, (about 3"), heels. When I see the rare one in REAL heels, I'm always intrigued!:D

And, YEAH! Stairs in hi spiked heels ARE DANGEROUS! Specially carpeted stairs!:eek:
I snapped off a heel on my stairs at home from one of my favorite 4 1/2" pairs!:sad:
Fortunately, I grabbed a rail before taking a header and was able to repair the shoe!:)

Eryn
05-02-2011, 09:57 PM
...or very low, (about 3"), heels

One seldom hears of 3" heels being described as "very low" :)

It's funny that GGs complain of having to wear heels, yet the shoe stores seem to do a healthy business in selling to them. I think that it's just a common touchstone about which to talk.

Even though the shoe stores are full of them I see a very few GGs actually walking in normal life wearing heels north of 3". I think that they are reserved for clubbing and date night for twentysomethings. Of course, we CDers can be a wilder bunch and for us the sky's the limit. Well, some of us anyway! :)

VioletJourney
05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Actually one time on Facebook this girl complained about her flats and was wishing she had some heels!

suchacutie
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I can never figure out what the deal is with heels. Ok, it took me a couple of months to figure it out, but once you've figured it out, it's like riding a bicycle...or so I thought.

We had a visitor about a year ago...a friend we hadn't seen in quite a while, and I know she wears heel daily, and seemed very comfortable in them. However, she got up to leave, got to our 5 steps to go down to the front door and she was clearly unnerved by having to negotiate these stairs. Ok, they are my stairs, but she was in 4" strappy heels, well locked to her foot and she could just barely climb down the stairs holding the railing for dear life. According to my wife, learning to negotiate heels is just one of those things you learn growing up as a girl, so she was as surprised as I about her friend's actions on those stairs.

Clearly, negotiating heels is not a universally understood process for any gender.

tina

Rianna Humble
05-03-2011, 02:24 AM
I can think of at least 3 GG friends who can't walk in heels - one of them even commented on it in a piece about me in a local newspaper. I also have another friend who hates wearing anything less than a 3 in heel.

The great thing is that we have the choice!

erickka
05-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Heels are definately a learned thing. I'm comfortable in 5-5 1/2" heels with no platform, but my dear wife can no longer tolerate heels any higher than 3". She used to HAVE to wear heels for her job many years ago,( back in the mid 70's ) and it has taken it's toll on her knees and ankles, so use your heels wisely! I only wear my highest heels for a short period of time, and if not doing a lot of walking or standing. Women are on the go much more nowadays then they were in the 60's and 70's, so I can see how the high heel has somewhat faded from every day wear. Needless to say, it is great to have a choice.

Shelly Preston
05-03-2011, 06:12 AM
I am sure those women complaining were right

Wearing heels is not for everyone for a variety of reasons
Many women I know have worn heels to a wedding but changed to something a bit lower as the evening progressed

balance, foot problems, overweight, to name a few

I know I love wearing heels but this is dependant on the occasion

If you had to wear them all day around the house its easy. If you wearing them while out shopping and then for an evening out you will notice the difference, the word pain springs to mind.

Rianna is right
The great thing is that we have the choice!

kimdl93
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
with four women (well three and a honorary female) in our household, I can assure you that at least in Houston, women wear heels. The girls - I'll include my wife among them - seldom wear flats and normally wear 3" or greater. I'm comparatively timid - with one set of 4" heels.

I do think that especially in earlier days, heels were potentially damaging. I've seen many older women with disfigured feet from tight pointy heels. It doesn't seem that the heels we wear today, particularly sandals and strappy heels are quite so confining.

RenneB
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree with one of the previous posters, it's probably just a commonality to b*t*h about. But then again, CDrs have an advantage in the high heel department. Remember they are built differently and most have stronger tendons and ankle muscles than GGs. Personally, I prefer 4", but don't mind the occasional 3" just for walking longer distances around this closet LOL...

Renne.....

Tina B.
05-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Ever notice most women only wear heels when it's required? I once again read how women can't wear heels, and if only they knew, what makes anyone think they care? five inch heels are for actress, models, and hookers, most real women don't even have a pair that tall, or want them. We really need to stop worrying about what women like to wear, or will wear, and just enjoy that is still available for those of us that want to wear it. I doubt that all those fashion designers create all those great heels just for us, some where some woman must be wearing some of it, if not there must be a lot more of us than I thought. (Oh, and I've never wore a pair that tall, and not sure it would be safe).
Tina B.

Christina Horton
05-03-2011, 11:41 AM
One thing I would like to point out. Most people do not take into concentration is that the bigger the foot the lower the heal will "feel". Like if you wear a 7 in heal and have a 4 in in height it make your foot more angled then if you wear a size 12. So a size 7 4 in heal in order to have the same "lift" as that size for a 12 you would say have to wear a height of say 7 in to get the same "lift". Now I'm not saying that that "math" is right but its something like that.

So when a women or CD says that have a hard time in heals
1) It can take a long time to get used to them . Some like myself never had a hard time walking in then the first time they wore them .
2) They if there foot is small the height is that much higher then a bigger foot.
3) There feet just might never have the strength to walk in then right.

Plus also remember , everyone complains about stuff that we have to deal with . Like how many times have we heard of our lady's and men here say they hate to..... When your doing something that is routine you will not like it after a while. Like I hate wearing paints , but if all I could wear was dresses would I always like it.... I would say not and would probably complain about the fact that I could not wear paints..... But I would love the chance to complain.
I love to complain in the higher cost of women's clothes , the fact it takes so long to get ready , when I look in my closet I can sometimes find nothing to wear ( Even though I have a FULL wardrobe) .

It's just what your used to and when your not able to or rarely can do a thing you just have a hard time with understanding why others that can do want to. It's just human nature to want what you don't have or can't do.

Jilmac
05-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I know many GGs who would rather wear a comfortable pair of flats or sneakers than the agony of heels. Even in a formal setting, once the formalities are over the heels come off. I've had a lot of practice walking in heels since I started experimenting with my sisters' clothes back in the '50s but those 4 and 5 inch stilettos can be hazardous to ones health. The best thing I like about heels is that they make me taller.

NicoleScott
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
As Sherry said (#5), why should GG's be any different than CD's? I'm sure for both groups there are individuals who can tolerate higher heels and those who can't or don't see the need to try.

Suchacutie (#8), like your friend, I do pretty well in high heels, but I hang on for dear life on stairs. It's more defensive than necessary, as I REALLY do not want to fall.

I love really high heels, but I must confess: as I get older, it becomes harder to walk in them. Dang it. I read once that it's because we lose some of the fat (padding) on our feet, and I suppose we're just not as flexible.

RADER
05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
A wile back, I was at a wedding of a early twenty's couple that where the daughter of a close friend.
The whole wedding party was trying to wear 4" to 5" Heals. Most of the girls could not walk in them
at all. They wobbled all over the place, some even clamored together to holed each other up rite.
It was hilarious to say the least. There where a few with 3" to 3 1/2" heals that walked around to
good to be their first time. I found out that they worked in an office environment; Lots of practice.
Now the Mom's and Grand moms wore flats, they gave up on heals long ago. I found it interesting just
watching the young girls testing their rite of being a woman in heals. LOL
Rader

Jennabug
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I didn't really start wearing high heels until well into my teenage years. I started off with a three inch and have pretty much stayed with three inch heels. It took a little getting used to at first but I got around in them pretty good pretty much from the start.