PDA

View Full Version : CD in preschool

Kate T
05-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in so please move as required mods.

My daughter goes to preschool and a boy at the preschool LOVES dressing up. ALL THE TIME!! BUT his parents have asked preschool to not let him get dressed up in dresses.

The boy's parents obviously love him and are not trying to hurt him but he is still constantly trying to play "dress ups".

Are there any resources that people are aware of for the preschool who I think are trying to comply with the parents wishes but also be fair to the child.

Adina

J'lyn GG
05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
IMO, they are his parents, and they decide how to raise their child. Most parents don't take kindly to others trying to tell them how to raise their child. While I don't have an issue w/a boy dressing up, (my 2yo doesn't like to dress up, but he loves Dora. Therefore he has pink Dora pjs w/ butterflies. He loves them) I do understand their concerns and their desire to protect their child.

Jennabug
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Preschool? I wouldn't even worry about it. I worked part time at a day care when I was in high school and little boys wanting to dress up like little girls is not unusual at all especially if the little boy has a slightly older or slightly younger sister. It is just a wanting to be like someone else thing and nothing more. Of course, it was discouraged as much as possible without upsetting the child, but it wasn't ever made into a big issue either. In most cases, it is just a short time thing with boys that age and absolutely nothing to be alarmed about or make a big issue about.

nancigirl
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
There is a lot of information on this via the Princess Boy sites. Just do a google search for "princess boy". BUT, i agree with GraceAnne's caution that it is not a good idea to try to offer advice to the parents or the preschool, unless the parents ask for help first.

EllieOPKS
05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
How can kids in preschool play dress up? Does this preschool keep wardrobes in the classroom? I don't inderstand how this could remotely be a concern for parent or teacher.

Stephenie S
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
How can kids in preschool play dress up? Does this preschool keep wardrobes in the classroom? I don't inderstand how this could remotely be a concern for parent or teacher.

Yes, many preschool/daycares do keep wardrobes for the kids to play "dress-up" with.

And as we ALL know, people should be allowed to wear any clothes they want without referece to arbitrary rules of gender. However, getting involved with trying to tell parents how to raise their own children is dangerous business and you should stay as far away from this as you can.

S

BillieJoEllen
05-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't know for sure but when I was younger I believe my sisters and possibly my mother would play 'dressup' with me. I know from time to time I would have to wear girl's underwear and sometimes socks. Doing feminine things with my mother and sisters was as I remember a delight. It never really bothered me (at least not until I was older) to help my mother sew. I'd be her dress model. When I was around my father I had great urgency to be 'all boy'.
I never desired to dress on my own until I was around 10 or 11.