PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions and approaches to the subject of feminism

Cait
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi all,

Was just wondering what your opinions and approaches to feminism were and how, if at all, your crossdressing/transgenderism has impacted upon these views.

Apologies if this thread has been done a hundred times before and I'm being highly unoriginal.

Peace Out.
x

Fractured
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
It may be unoriginal and overdone, but then people's views change over time as their experiences provide new insight into life. And new people join the discussion who may not dig into the archives to revive a long dormant thread. Not sure if thread necromancy is even desired sometimes.

Back in college, my English teacher kept assigning us books with female protagonists whose world was crumbling around them. After the first couple of books I realized she was rather feminist. I couldn't for the life of me determine why a feminist instructor was allowed to teach at a military academy nor did I enjoy the class because of the feminist tone it seemed to take (to me). I still don't see the point of it. I think feminism if viewed as a philosophy that everyone is created equal (rights/liberties, not necessarily capabilities) then it is very egalitarian. I support the aim of those fighting for equal pay and equal opportunity to advance. I oppose militant aggression on the topic but can understand that sometimes it takes a militant approach to achieve results. I steadfastly reject the assertions of anyone saying that women (or men) are better than men (or women). I do not think that CD has impacted this view so much as caused me to review my feelings and look for areas of hypocrisy. I don’t think I have found any but do think it somewhat humorous that I still disliked that English class even after reviewing it in the light of CD.

Tess
05-04-2011, 02:17 PM
My views on feminism haven't been impacted by cross dressing one wit. The biggest impact in that regard for me was having two daughters and wanting the best for them.

Kate Simmons
05-04-2011, 02:49 PM
My views? Abigail is definately a Ms. and a self made person.:battingeyelashes::)

Violetgray
05-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Well, in its basest form feminism is just a natural response to an imbalance, that imbalance being in gender privilege. But just like any well-intentioned movement, there can often be a fringe, which is loud and usually garners the attention. Fractured, I suspect that the crazy wing of feminists are the ones you have a problem with. Feminism as a concept isn't inherently undesirable.

The idea that equality knows no gender should be a given, and as such I don't think my dressing has any impact at all.

Rianna Humble
05-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Was just wondering what your opinions and approaches to feminism were and how, if at all, your crossdressing/transgenderism has impacted upon these views.

Whilst I was in denial, I established a reputation as being a strong supporter of Gender Equality and some would have said an ardent feminist.

Now that I have finally admitted who I am, some may say that my former position was merely self interest. I don't see it that way and don't believe that my actions when trying to pretend I was a man would support that either.

I am, however, looking forward to when I can help a GG feminist friend to re-establish a Women's Rights movement in my home town.

kimdl93
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm in favor of Gender Equity...and I would hope that I'd feel the same way even if I wasn't a CD.

Leyna
05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
This is an interesting question that I hadn't really thought about before now. Feminism (it seems to me) tends to emphasize that women can embrace roles that are more typically 'masculine,' while CDing definitely identifies me with the more feminine aspects and roles. Of course, as a father, I want my daughter to be herself, whether that is something traditionally masculine or feminine. As it turns out, she's s girly girl. But I'd be just as happy if she weren't. And I guess CDing is just another way for me to embrace who I am. It's about being feminine, sure. But if we lived in a world where men didn't have to be so 'manly,' would I have the same desires? I dunno...

Hmm...much food for thought. Thanks for the topic!

SusanMarie
05-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Simple but interesting question...
As for me, I am just being honest about my personality. A significant part of which is generally considered 'feminine' by society. So be it.

sissystephanie
05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I am not at all sure of my feelings about femininism in general! I am a man who is a crossdresser!! I love women and was married to one for almost 50 years. And I love wearing pretty feminine clothing, but I don't think my wearing feminine clothing has anything at all to do with how I feel about women(GG's) and what they do or say!!

Sheren Kelly
05-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm a humanist and think we all deserve equality and the oportunity to live our lives. As a transgender person who occasionally gets out, I respect the fact that presenting as a woman makes one a target for crime.