PDA

View Full Version : "Carry/Transition Letters"

Wendy_Marie
05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Today at my regularly scheduled therapy appointment today my therapist began the session by giving me what she called a “Carry Letter.”
I have recently in past sessions discussed some concerns I have had with being out in public and trying to accomplish simple girly tasks while enfemme like shopping, using the women’s dressing rooms, rest rooms etc…As my job requires me to travel all over the State of Missouri as well, I sometimes take Wendy along for the drive with me and I have concerns regarding encounters with officials such as Law Enforcement Officers.

The letter she provided me today reads as follows…I edited pertinent personal details.

Re: (Male Name) -Wendy Marie (Last name); DOB, SS#)

To whom it may concern:
This letter is written to verify that (Male Name) Wendy is currently receiving psychological services from (Name of Institution) (Credentials.)
(Male Name) Wendy has been involved with therapy for a sufficient enough time to determine that a diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder is appropriate to this case and as such is a transgender individual who has currently begun the transition process. When (Male Name) Wendy wears female clothing, shops in stores, or uses public restrooms or other facilities, (Male Name) Wendy is considered to be a female in all regards. It is my opinion that (Male Name) Wendy is not in these places to disturb or harm anyone else. Rather (Male Name) Wendy is simple trying to complete those same kinds of tasks as any other female might face in going about their daily life. I support (Male Name) Wendy in these efforts as it is only in living as a woman that (Male Name) Wendy can fully know and discover whether or not to maintain the current course towards physically becoming and transitioning into a woman. I would encourage anyone who might have difficulty or take offense with (Male Name) Wendy’s actions to see and treat (Male Name) Wendy as they would any woman and to afford (Male Name) Wendy the same rights.
Sincerely,
(Therapist…Credentials.)

I realize that this letter may serve little purpose other than to provide me with a little peace of mind but it does at least briefly describe my diagnosis, my current treatment and states that in the opinion of my Psychologist my dressing does not offer any threat to the public.

Another thing which we discussed was the idea of obtaining a State issued I.D. card with my enfemme picture so if there were ever any issues with using my debit/credit cards, or with my Drivers License, I would have a legally issued Identification Card from the State, although it would have my legally given male name and gender with an enfemme picture.

While full time enfemme dressing is in my not to distant future….It may still be 6-months to a year down the road and I think this course of action might serve a useful purpose for me.

Has anyone else had any experience with such letters or made attempts to obtain a State ID prior to transitioning to full time?

Stephenie S
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
You are right to suppose that the most important thing this letter will do is give YOU some peace of mind.

It will not keep you out of jail if you do something wrong. It will not keep you from getting asked to not use the female dressing room.

If someone wants to hassle you they will hassle you, letter or no letter.

Are you going to haul out your letter when a group of teenagers heckles you? Are you going to ask a SA in a store to read that letter when he/she questions your right to use the dressing room? Are you going to expect a cop who stops you for speeding to read that letter?

No.

But carry it. Put it in your purse. You will feel better.

I had one once. I carried it for a few weeks. Then I put it away in my filing cabinet. Then I tossed it. No one ever read it except me.

S

Michelle James
05-06-2011, 08:01 AM
I guess now whatever peace of mind she was getting from the letter is out the window.

Wendy_Marie
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I guess now whatever peace of mind she was getting from the letter is out the window.

Thanks for the comments Michelle...But I don't have thin skin and can take criticism without getting too worked up about it.

Vickie_CDTV
05-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd ask your therapist if the letter has any legal standing in your state, just in case. Even if it doesn't, the letter you have is still better than nothing; sometimes I wish I could get one too so I would be safer using the female restroom etc. (I don't even come close to qualifying as a TS, so I can't get one.)

Stephenie S
05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry sweetie.

I wasn't trying to criticize. Only to point out that they are not really that valuable. I had one. It helped me to feel more secure for a while. But they have NO legal standing.

Let's hear from anyone who found a "carry letter" useful. I might learn something.

Stephie

Wendy_Marie
05-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Stephanie S...Thats alright I didn't take offense...and I understand this letter is anything but a get out of jail free card. Your reponse just sounded a bit err well. Harsh! I do appreciate your input as I asked for opinion and experiences and yours sounds like an honest experience albeit I am sorry to say a bad one.
As always Thanks for the help....keep it up.