PDA

View Full Version : Summer and leg shaving, wondering what to do

ReginaWelch
05-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Other than my wife knowing, no one knows I dress, and that is the way I plan to keep it. However, I have been shaving my legs since I started dressing last year. Summer is approaching, that means shorts, and legs showing. I have just about the whitest skin known to mankind, and it will be obvious that my legs are shaved. I am confused as to how to explain this if people notice. Or do I give it up for the summer? I love the feel of my legs shaved, but just don't know how to deal with this.

Anyone else have this issue? How do you deal with it?

Sandra
05-07-2011, 07:28 AM
You have nothing to explain, it has nothing to do with anyone as to why you shave your legs. If you feel you must say something then say "because I want too" and leave it at that, or look them straight in the face and say "what you mean you don't" :D

Kaz
05-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Some guys do actually shave their legs because they want to and not because they are CD. But I agree really white unshaved legs do tend to draw the eye! Time for some sun and maybe false tan.. I have shaved my legs for years and have the same problem. I used to grow the hair back for summer, but the last time I did that was 5 years ago. I just couldn't bear not having the feeling of bare legs. The Romans body shaved by the way!

Danni Renee
05-07-2011, 07:53 AM
I started shaving my legs in January and I was concerned at first. I am a gym rat in addition to prefering shorts in the summer (ok, prefering skirts but since I cannot wear them out yet I have to wear shorts :( ). I was very concerned people would notice and say something but so far not a word has been said and quite honestly, I do not think anyone has even noticed. Guys just do not check out other guys legs.

If anyone does notice and say anything, I plan on taking Sandra's advice and tell them I did it just because I wanted to.

SuzanneBender
05-07-2011, 07:53 AM
I keep my legs, arms, chest and back silky smooth. I have never been questioned concerning my shaving. Truth be told, trans or not, I would probably stay smooth. It feels so much better, cleaner and less itchy. Beside the hairy look went out with Disco.

Danielle Gee
05-07-2011, 08:17 AM
I went thru a crisis last Sping, worrying about this issue. So I tried keeping my legs smooth for the summer. Well,guess what? no comment what so ever. I don't know if anyone noticed,didn't notice, or (most likely) didn't care; but as I said no comments!!!

Danielle

Dana921
05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I think this is one of the barriers we seem to place on ourselves! I cannot do this because.....? People do not know if you were born hairless or hairy unless they are close to you in some way! Even then of those folks the majority will not notice. And the big one is simply it is your body to do with as you choose and no one else gets to tell you what that is! As you progress you will find that the vast majority of reasons for us not to do something is in our own minds!

Dana

Starr
05-07-2011, 08:31 AM
i have been shaving legs, and body for several years, now i don't wear shorts that much in the summer around people so no worry there, however i have noticed a lot of men have smoth legs. Take a look sometime this summer and notice, some may shave and some seemed to be more naturally smooth. As for questions about shaving, My DR ask once when i was haveing some problems with a rash on my leg if i shaved my legs and i answered "Yes" that was that. As for a reason if ask, I have a real one, my leg hair was getting very grey and somewhat course and eveyone who knows me knows i wear black almost all the time. When i wore black dress pants the grey hair would find its way though the weave of the pants and it looked like i had lint on pants, it was very visible.

JohnH
05-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Other than my wife knowing, no one knows I dress, and that is the way I plan to keep it. However, I have been shaving my legs since I started dressing last year. Summer is approaching, that means shorts, and legs showing. I have just about the whitest skin known to mankind, and it will be obvious that my legs are shaved. I am confused as to how to explain this if people notice. Or do I give it up for the summer? I love the feel of my legs shaved, but just don't know how to deal with this.

I keep my legs shaved, and for good measure, I wear denim skirts instead of shorts. Skirts are so much more comfortable than shorts.

Johanna

Piora
05-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I've been concerned about the same thing. I started shaving my legs last November, and I was going to let the hair grow out for the summer, but I shaved them again last night and thought to myself that this is the way I want to have them. I just cannot stand how stockings look with hairy legs. Ughhh! So, I think, after reading the posts on here, that I will continue to shave, and perhaps see if I can get them tanned a bit over the summer!

Chun-Li
05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
If you don't want anyone to know, just don't wear shorts. A lot of people don't wear shorts. If you shave your head that will keep you cooler than shorts ever could.

Dr.Susan
05-07-2011, 08:59 AM
People who know you from the past will notice. New people you meet, won't know about your hairy past. Myself, I let it grow from mid June to Sept. Then shave for the ballance of the year. I'm postive my mom, brother, child and the rest would notice my absence of fuzz.

Claire Cook
05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
I keep my legs, arms, chest and back silky smooth. I have never been questioned concerning my shaving. Truth be told, trans or not, I would probably stay smooth. It feels so much better, cleaner and less itchy. Beside the hairy look went out with Disco.

Suzanne, I totally agree. It just feels and looks better. I started fully shaving in Virginia 2 years ago. Now that I am back in Florida wearing shorts almost all of the time, I have had no comments -- although sometimes I see people looking at my legs. (Not, I am sure, for their pretty feminine shape.)

Richelle
05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Ragina,

I shave my legs and ware shorts and also like you my legs are extermily white. If anyone notices they do not mention it. If they did I just respond as Sandra said, "becuase I want too". So just go for it and as the summer contiues you will notice that you legs are not as white as they once where.

Richille

Fractured
05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I started shaving in February and it's just started getting warm enough to wear shorts out. Had an office volleyball game a couple days ago, no comment from my co-workers on the legs. In fact, the only comment is from the SO who says she doesn't like the look. If you are looking for an excuse other than "because I want to" you can try the athletic route - many swimmers/cyclists/triathletes shave their legs for improved performance or injury recovery experience (imagine pulling bandages on road rash with really hair skin).

Barbra P
05-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I didn’t shave my legs for many years, I’m 67 and just shaved then for the first time a few weeks ago. I wore flesh colored Danskin tights under my hose (like the proper lady that I am I always wear hose), but a couple years ago I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and now there is practically no hair to shave. So far that is one of the few affects from the disease and it made it much easier for me to shave my legs without upsetting my wife. But I have known younger men who shaved their legs due to their active sport lives. Don’t over worry about it, you just lose out on one of life’s feminine pleasures (speaking from experience). You might want to get a tan, if it comes in a can.

ReginaWelch
05-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Wonderful input from everyone, I appreciate all the viewpoints. I am not worried about strangers, but when we are with friends, cookouts, BBQ, hanging out in the back yard, I have to assume it would be noticed. Seeing as I just got done shaving them once again, I think I am just going to have to go with it, and if they ask why, I'll just "Aerodynamics. Cuts through the wind better".

Leyna
05-07-2011, 10:29 AM
It doesn't come up that often, but on the few occasions it has my typical response is "it's so much cooler." My wife (who does not know about the dressing) even accepts that as an excuse. And to tell the truth, it's not really an excuse. Cuz it IS so much cooler!

wadevikingfan
05-07-2011, 11:00 AM
i just started shaving my legs in january...and have had no problem at all...my girlfreind hasn't said a word or anyone else...just think of something if it really bothers you...i think mine will be , if anyone questions, is either i shaved it for biking...or just didn't have that much hair...and getting older there isn't as much hair....and i have gone to the health club many times..and talked to people....i feel very comfortable with sahven legs and shaven chest too..

Jocelyn Quivers
05-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Whenever it comes up in conversation with my friends, I just tell them yes, I shave my legs. Usually I will be the butt of a few jokes, even cross dressing may come up, and once the jokes are over life goes on.

My philosphy in regards to shaving has always been "my legs are mine, I don't need or require anyones permission or approval to shave them, and I will not make myself miserable or unhappy ever again, by keeping them hairy in order to gain someone else's respect or approval."

msginaadoll
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I shave my legs, as well as arms, chest, etc. I have only had one person question it- a female. I told her because I want to when she asked. She wasnt happy with the response but oh well. She tends to be a pain in the tuckus anyways.

JulieK1980
05-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Step one: Tan the legs. (Nothing like a blinding white light to draw attention to the legs.)
Step two: Go about your life.

Sarah Doepner
05-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I've been using an epilator for a couple of years and slowly reduced the fur so the summer hair that is left is pretty fine and everyone is used to seeing me like this. If they ask I'll probably explain, but so far the only one who said anything at all was one of my granddaughters who liked how smooth my leg was.

ReginaWelch
05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Step two: Go about your life.

Great advice, I know. Just a little conscience of ti at this point. But I will try.

patti1569
05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm taking the plunge too this year. I just started shaving this winter and planed on letting it grow back in this spring but I can't stand the thought of letting it grow back now! My legs are also very white but I'll let the sun do its magic on them. I have already gone out in shorts and was sure that I would get comments right away, but so far none. If anyone asks I'll first say "I just like it this way". If there are more questions, I will tell them the truth, leg hair is disgusting and (if its a man) you should save too! I've already gotten very comfortable going out in shorts with them shaved so I don't think there will be any turning back for me.

Alice B
05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I keep my legs shaved year round and am out in the public, in shorts a lot. None of my usual friends know I dress and they have never said a thing about my shaved legs or arms. It is not that uncommon these days.

Tammy V
05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I always had the same fear. About 3 years ago when summer came in, I let a little hair grow back. I ket trimming it and kept the hair short and never got any remarks. By the time the summer was over I was shaving smooth about once a week and now I shave smooth year round. I don't know if its because I gradually eased into it, or my legs were not that hairy to begin with, but I have never had any comments on my shaved legs. Or arms for that matter, as I keep everything shaved smooth year round now.

hollydee
05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I've shaved my legs all through the winter and now prefer having smooth legs. Now the weather is warming up I don't want to go back but nervous going out in shorts, also shaving my arms has stopped me wearing t-shirts. Any advice?

Holly

Cheryl T
05-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Mine have been shaved for over 6 years (along with my arms, back, chest and underarms) and I have not had one comment from friends or co-workers about it in all that time. Most people will not say anything as they fear it's too personal.
Actually, one lady at work with whom I am friends did make a comment. We were outside talking with another lady and she reached over and rubbed my leg saying "mmm smoooth". To which I replied, "You're lucky, I just shaved them this morning". Not another word was ever said.

hollydee
05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks Cheryl, I've been rolling my sleeves up gradually, you notice the odd look, the weather is starting to warm up in england and I can't wear jumpers all the time. It's not easy, is it?

Holly

Sophie86
05-07-2011, 04:21 PM

You'll find that few people will notice, and even fewer will mention it. For the rare ones that do, the best explanation I have found is: "I like them that way." It doesn't require any further explanation, and it's not a lie so it won't lead you into more covering lies. I mean, if you tell people you've taken up Olympic swimming, they're going to eventually expect to see you competing. The fact that you like having your legs shaved may cause some people to think to themselves, "Oh. That's weird." Unless you just have very rude friends, though, they won't say it out loud.

I predict that by next winter when you have to wear long pants again, your perspective will have completely changed. You'll be thinking to yourself, like the "real girls" do: "What's the point of shaving them, if no one's going to see?" :)

Julie S
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I've been going to yoga classes for the last year. I'm the only non gg in the class. It's great and makes me feel fo feminine. I do have a lot of hair though and am a little worried about shaving again as I'm sure it'd be noticed.

Can anyone advise if they've been in a similar situation and how they dealt with it?

Thanks

J

Loni
05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
within 24 hrs of shaving get out the epalter and keep the fuzz off your legs.

Jamie001
05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I've been going to yoga classes for the last year. I'm the only non gg in the class. It's great and makes me feel fo feminine. I do have a lot of hair though and am a little worried about shaving again as I'm sure it'd be noticed.

Can anyone advise if they've been in a similar situation and how they dealt with it?

Thanks

J

Yes, just shave it all off. I have been going to a yoga class for the past several years and my legs are always shaved and my toenails are always professionally pedicured and either bright red or hot pink. The class is all women and I am treated just like one of the girls. It is not a big deal. Even the instructor complimented me on my toenail polish.

Eryn
05-07-2011, 07:04 PM
One thing that worrying about this does is make one more aware of those around themselves. I've been observing closely for quite a while and find that quite a few males have hairless arms and legs for whatever reason. Nobody notices.

Taylor186
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
...just don't wear shorts. A lot of people don't wear shorts. If you shave your head that will keep you cooler than shorts ever could.

I'm thinking Chun-Li has a good point here. If you don't want your hairless legs noticed then shave your head the day you begin wearing shorts. I can almost guarantee no one will notice your legs. :)

Seriously though, I shave my legs year round and no one has said anything. Shorts today aren't what they used to be. They're not really short.

Sophie86
05-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm thinking Chun-Li has a good point here. If you don't want your hairless legs noticed then shave your head the day you begin wearing shorts. I can almost guarantee no one will notice your legs. :)

LOL!! Good idea. Unfortunately, I've waited almost two years to do the shaved head thing, so now I'm just compounding the weirdness. :heehee:

Seriously though, I shave my legs year round and no one has said anything. Shorts today aren't what they used to be. They're not really short.

Which really sucks for those of us with short legs. :sad:

I wonder if I can single-handedly bring back the cut-off jeans look for men. :eek:

AKAMichelle
05-07-2011, 10:00 PM
There is nothing to explain. You shave your legs. If asked - it is a simple so what I shave my legs. Got a problem with that?

Fab Karen
05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
IF anyone asks, just say: Because I like it.

In this day & age, some people STILL talk of a "healthy tan"- there's nothing healthy about skin cancer. & btw, why work to prematurely age yourself?

Loveday
05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I shaved my legs and chest all last summer, it was great ! Getting ready to do it again in a couple of days after the doctor apointments ( it is hard to wait ) . Nobody said a word to me about it. I never had to use the excuse but the one I had ready was that I sweat alot outdoors and it keeps the odor down. Alot of the older guys where I use to work shaved just for that reason.

Tina L.
05-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I dislike cold weather, but as my agreement with my gf i wil not shave during the warm summer months so i can't wait for winter

Sophie86
05-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Getting ready to do it again in a couple of days after the doctor apointments ( it is hard to wait ) .

I have regular skin exams at the dermatologist due to past issues with skin cancer, including melanoma. He's never said a word to me about the disappearing hair. They're professionals, and know how to keep their opinions to themselves.

(Anyway, I kinda think the lack of hair makes it easier for him to find any growths while they're small. Shaving certainly makes me focus more on what's happening with my skin. In fact, when I detected the melanoma on my neck, it was precisely because that spot hurt while shaving. So there you are: shaving your body could save your life.) :)

Loveday
05-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi Sophie
I agree that the lack of hair makes it easier for a doctor to examine my skin. I have basil cell cancer myself. I recently shaved an area of my chest so the doctors can get a better look at a large mole that is changing size and color.
To explain, In the past I had a doctor once give me a bunch of BS because I fried the hair off my arms and hands when a car I was restoring back fired. I also had a hospital tech that was prepping me for surgery jaw drop to the floor when he found that I was shaved in the groin area even though the hospital was the ones who shaved me just a week berfore for a like-kind surgery. For me right now I personally I just do not feel like dealing with these other peoples feelings. I just want to be done with the doctors for the summer and then I can be myself.

Brenn
05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
I had LHR on my legs almost 10 years ago. No one bats an eye.

eluuzion
05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Why do you shave the hair off you legs?
Some Reply options...

Probably for the same reasons you are wearing that Halloween mask.

It is one of the side effects of my chemotherapy treatments, why do you ask?

I am a swimmer.

I am a bicyclist. It always seems to look weird to people who obviously don’t exercise.

I practice martial arts and it helps me kick higher. Stick out you chin and I will show you.

For some reason, gay guys always seem to notice that. Why is that?

You are the sixth gay guy that has noticed my legs today.

I am a tennis player and it helps keep my body cool during my matches.

It is one of the conditions that occurs with Diabetes.

We are doing some research to see if males are attracted to males with shaved legs. You are the first male that has confirmed your attraction to guys with shaved legs.

If you are trying to hit on me, I am not attracted to men in the way that you seem to be.

I fish a lot and it makes it easier to remove leeches.

Best I can come up with on the spot.

Ok, here is my real story. Thanks to my Danish heritage, my hair was white as a kid which gradually darkened to lighter brown as an adult. I had hair on my legs and arms which was always light colored enough to not appear hairy. No back or chest hair. My hair is all very “fine”, so I never looked “hairy”. My skin tans easily and I typically look tan year round. I have a high metabolism. I was always hot when everybody else was cold. I perspired a lot from my head and arms especially during tennis matches. But for some reason, I have never had any body odor at all.

So one night in my hotel room I get the urge to just "go for it" and I shaved my legs. The feeling was awesome, but so was my initial paranoia of revealing my legs in public. I got some comments from my friends and a few cat calls from teen girls passing me in cars while I was riding my bike. About two weeks later I did not worry at all, wearing shorts wherever I went.

But here is the startling realization that I made during that initial two week period. A lifetime of trying to stay cool when everybody else was just fine came to an abrupt halt! It was like a miracle for me. I guess removing my leg hair removed the insulating effect it had on my body. I still cannot believe what a change it made in my life of trying to constantly deal with being "hot" all the time.

I quickly progressed into shaving my entire body (except head) which I am still doing 15 years later. I could not imagine ever letting my hair grow back.

So there is a real and legitimate explanation for shaved legs if you are looking for one. I love having a shaved body and have never heard a comment from str in over 14 years.

Basically...nobody really cares anyway. Go for it.:love:

WandaRae2009
05-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Go ahead and keep them shaved. I have for a few years and no-one has ever said anything. My kids asked once if I shaved my legs. I told them yes, Mom doesn't like the hair against her legs in bed. It is true, I made a comment once that my leg hair was always itchy, and she said it itched her in bed as well, why don't you shave it. She didn't have to tell me twice, and have not had hair since. After I did it I seemed to pay attention when out, and I noticed a lot of smooth male legs. There are either an awful lot of out there or it is just not that unusual.

Jenniferathome
05-08-2011, 12:26 PM
My advice is to take up biking (I am a huge biking advocate). While no one really knows why bikers shave (easier to keep clean in the event of a crash, keeps bugs off, easier to apply sun screen) everyone knows that bikers SO shave their legs. No explanations necessary. In fact you can add that as a reminder that you "have to get in shape", you shaved. No one will question it. Good luck

susand262
05-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I have been shaving my legs for a year now. I too was worried if anyone would notice. My wife did the first time because i cut them up pretty bad. I get a massage about once a month, I thought for sure my massage therapist would notice because i have been going to her for a couple of years. Since i was a runner she would work my legs mostly. If she noticed she never said a word and she is not one to be shy speaking her mind. I also go to the gym and recently have had 2 female physical trainers and neither one ever commented.

Carla
05-08-2011, 01:06 PM
My legs have been clean shaven for years now and I wear shorts in the summer. Never once has anyone commented. If you are the atheletic type, even just a little bit, and you either swim or bike, if you are asked on that very rare occasion, just say that you bike or swim and that wearing biker pants is very uncomfortable with hairy legs.

I suspect almost no one comments because more and more people do bike or swim and shaven legs are common.

Jamie001
05-08-2011, 01:36 PM
My legs have been clean shaven for years now and I wear shorts in the summer. Never once has anyone commented. If you are the atheletic type, even just a little bit, and you either swim or bike, if you are asked on that very rare occasion, just say that you bike or swim and that wearing biker pants is very uncomfortable with hairy legs.

I suspect almost no one comments because more and more people do bike or swim and shaven legs are common.

There is no reason to make up any excuses. Why do we insist on telling these lies??? Why don't we just say "I shave my legs because I like them that way". That is really all that there is too it and it is nobody's business! Don't give other people that much power - it is your body and you can do with it as you please.

pantynhoseman
05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I shave year round. In the summer, I also wear panties and suntan pantyhose under my shorts. Im not sure if anyone notices, but no one has said any thing, and no one stares. Not sure I would care if they did!!

Geneva Lake
05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I tell them it makes me run faster. Then I ask why they don't shave their legs.

Emjay
05-08-2011, 08:30 PM
One thing that worrying about this does is make one more aware of those around themselves. I've been observing closely for quite a while and find that quite a few males have hairless arms and legs for whatever reason. Nobody notices.

I've noticed that too! There are a LOT of males with hairless legs out there....

My vote is I'm keeping them smooth for the summer.... I'm also going with the "Because I like it that way" excuse if anyone asks.... I'm kinda to the point where I don't feel like I have to make an excuse if anyone asks anyway. wth, you only live once right? :)

UNDERDRESSER
05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Well, after reading the comments here, I'm gonna go smooth this year. It's gonna be a bit different, because I just got a new job where they have locker rooms and showers, which I will use, being a cycle commuter. haven't noticed any other smooth legs, but then being the new boy I'm getting stuck with the late shifts. I'm waiting till I get an epilator, I did shave one Summer, but the itching drove me nuts, and I don't want to spend even more time shaving, plus I hate stubble.

Question, have any of you noticed that it's easier to tan shaved legs? I thought this was the case the one year I did, but not certain?

Billie Jean
05-08-2011, 09:21 PM
They sell Nair for men at Walmart. I keep my legs shaved and if anybody notices they never comment. Billie Jean

Stelli
05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
when i'm in hurry i shave them, when i have more time i use depilator - makes longer lasting effect. there is nothing more ugly than short growing hair poking out!!

sportsmen shave body regularly, at the end of the day you shave them to feel clean and confortable (i hope so) many people do.

In essence, it is not about what other people will think that you do it, but what YOU think what other people may think you do it. And those two are two different animals altogether. Gives a bit of PERSPECTIVE i hope.

Kathy4ever
05-09-2011, 04:41 AM
That was my delima last year. I let my leg hair grow back. This year is a different story. I'm going to stay hair free. Bought my second epilaotor last week and have been wearing shorts and no comments. My neighbors have seen it and kinda of made of puzzle look. My wife who hates me to dress does not really say anything about it. I guess she is getting use to it. Been hair free since the beginning of November.

erickka
05-09-2011, 05:25 AM
From what I have noticed over recent years, no one really gives a hoot. I say go ahead and keep them smooth and if anyone asks why, just tell them you prefer it that way.:)

kymmieLorain
05-09-2011, 07:31 AM
I used to think that way, but in the 9 years I have been shaving my legs I have yet to have anyone comment. I say go for it girl.

Kymmie

shawnsheila
05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Aside from my wife noticing, I have never had anyone notice when my legs were shaved. Personally i love the feeling of smooth legs (on me and my wife) and when I shave my legs, i take better care to lotion them. All i need to do is convince my wife to let me shave them and I wouldn't care if anyone else noticed.

Sophie86
05-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Question, have any of you noticed that it's easier to tan shaved legs? I thought this was the case the one year I did, but not certain?

I thought that might be the case, but honestly it hasn't seemed to make any difference. Then again, I'm very pale and I have skin cancer issues, so I tend to really slather on the sunscreen.