PDA

View Full Version : Combination

Delila
05-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Where is the right combination of male and female? I am going with my wife to get pedicures tomorrow for my Bday. Is it wrong for me to want to get my nails polished by a pro or is that a step too far? Should I wear guy shoes to the appointment does anyone think they will notice? This is my first ever pedi so I don't want to do it wrong any help is appreciated.

Cherry Lynn
05-09-2011, 02:32 AM
I get a mani and pedi on a regular basis and always get color, usually a bright red, on my toes. I get a clear coat on my fingernails. The last time I went I wore my Fly Flot flip flops which are definitely womens sandals and nothing was said. The thing to consider is your wife's comfort level.

Delila
05-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Unfortunately she is the typical accepting SO with a simple "It doesnt bother me either way." Of course for a CDer such a message will be read many ways or at least for me it can. A simple wear what you want and get you nails painted would go a long way but if women communicated in such easy ways our lives would be much much simpler they would of course be more boring.

Cherry Lynn
05-09-2011, 02:43 AM
If I had an SO and she told me that i would wear what I wanted. As far as getting color the nail techs at my salon say a lot of men get color and the first time I went I was underdressed but in drab otherwise. The nail tech asked me what color before I had a chance to tell her I wanted color.

Cherry Lynn
05-09-2011, 02:45 AM
By the way, happy birthday tomorrow.

Delila
05-09-2011, 02:53 AM
By the way, happy birthday tomorrow.
Thanks! I will probably go drab and ask for color, as this is the first time I am a bit nervous. But 30 only comes once I guess I should make the most of it. Tuesday I think I will be 29.

shesadvl
05-09-2011, 02:56 AM
Delia i wouldnt make your thoughts complicated do you want her to choose your nail polish to.... man when you have an accepting SO enjoy things... do what you feel is right for you, wear what is comfortable on your feet... I paint my SO's toenails and fingernails.... he chooses to take the fingernail polish off... if its colored, but if i put on clear he wears it well.... shows he has had a minicure....so no one questions.... thing is what are you comfortable with....

enjoy your birthday and I think you would be the envy of some of the others here that you are going with your wife to have a pedi treatment... but also show your wife that you are appreciative of how accepting she is to you...;)

Cherry Lynn
05-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks! I will probably go drab and ask for color, as this is the first time I am a bit nervous. But 30 only comes once I guess I should make the most of it. Tuesday I think I will be 29.
I always feel younger than I actually am when I dress.

Delila
05-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Delia i wouldnt make your thoughts complicated do you want her to choose your nail polish to.... man when you have an accepting SO enjoy things... do what you feel is right for you, wear what is comfortable on your feet... I paint my SO's toenails and fingernails.... he chooses to take the fingernail polish off... if its colored, but if i put on clear he wears it well.... shows he has had a minicure....so no one questions.... thing is what are you comfortable with....

enjoy your birthday and I think you would be the envy of some of the others here that you are going with your wife to have a pedi treatment... but also show your wife that you are appreciative of how accepting she is to you...;)

Thank you for your advice. I guess I am a bit of a hard case and more than I should be. I rarely think that I deserve such a wonderful person but in that I often wonder why. You sound like an amazing partner for your SO and I hope she appreciates it. I am a paranoid person so such questions are often in my mind. I will take your advice and do what feels comfortable.

Thank you.

Delila
05-09-2011, 03:10 AM
I always feel younger than I actually am when I dress.

I intend to remain 29 at least until I am no longer carded for smokes. :)

Stephenie S
05-09-2011, 08:41 AM
So. You have never gotten a pedicure? Listen. It's WONDERFUL.

Don't wear half and half. If you want to go all girly, the nail techs won't mind. They've seen it all before. But half an half seems a bit confusing. They won't mind though, and really, wear whatever you want. Flip-flops are good because they won't mar the new polish on your toes.

So when you go in for your appointment the first thing you do is select a nail color from the rack. Then when the tech indicates (after she fills the foot bath), you take off your shoes and socks and climb into the chair. Pull or roll your pants up and stick your feet in the whirlpool. Aahh! You sit there for a while with your feet in the hot water whirlpool. The she will take your feet out one at a time and do your pedicure, massage your feet and legs with lotion, and finally apply the color you selected. If you want to go low key, you can pick out a pale pink or a clear polish, but no one will question it if you select something a bit wilder. LOTS of guys get pedicures. Be careful, you might get hooked. It's truly a wonderful experience.

S

Amy Lynn3
05-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I have both done on a regular basis and as others have said.....nobody cares. You might want to add a face and back rub while you are there. I always do, I get the most out of one trip. Enjoy the day and make the next appointment before you leave.

kimdl93
05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
there is no right combination - only what works for you and your SO. I've had pedi's with my wife and it was a great bonding experience - we both wore their little disposable sandals when we left. No one will notice or care. I wasn't even the only guy there!

AllieSF
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I also am one of those that gets periodic manicures and pedicures. I do recommend that you wear flip flops since it takes more time than you think to truly dry and harden all the coats of nail polish. Putting shoes and socks back on may damage the surface some. Best to be on the safe side. During the summer I normally put a transparent pink color on my toenails since I always wear flip flops in both modes and am not out to family and friends. Enjoy your Bday moment and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

boardpuppy
05-09-2011, 01:40 PM
This is a very timely tread, i'm going to get a mani and pedi tomarrow. I'm gettting ready for one of the grands graduation in about 2 weeks, I hope it will improve her disposition but with most teens I don't think so. As far as what to wear, how about asking your SO you could be surprised by what she suggests.

Delila
05-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I really enjoyed the treatment I was concerned about my shaved legs but they didnt blink she just gave me the same treatment as my wife. I followed my wife's advice and decided to wait to get home to paint my nails. I was very nervous at first to the point that my legs were shaking but my wife offered for me to go next time she does I look very forward to it. Maybe I will be bold enough to get color. All in all it was a great b-day gift from my wife one of several others that made for a great day. :)

Eryn
05-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Next time, wear sandals. You don't want to mess up brand new polish! :)

Delila
05-10-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't own any men's sandals perhaps next time I will care less. I was surprised as it was $50 each I didnt expect such cost if I had I would have probably gotten color.

Eryn
05-10-2011, 12:57 AM
I don't own any men's sandals perhaps next time I will care less. I was surprised as it was $50 each

Beauty isn't cheap! :) I note that a lot of people getting pedis at the salon I frequent wear flip-flops. Cheap insurance for expensive polish!

sandra-leigh
05-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Prices vary a lot, and the service is not always proportionate to the price.

Some of the places around here advertise sales of pedicures for $75.

The place I go regularly does a combination manicure and pedicure for $35.

I have been to some places that were a little less expensive still ($30-ish), but those ones gave me the impression of assembly lines.

I have been to places for about $50 for mani/pedi that were not as good as the place I go for $35.

If I recall correctly, a place I went once was $65 for mani/pedi. There was a bit of service difference for that place: the foot and hand massages were longer, and I was offered a beverage. Well, for that $30 extra, I can buy my own beverage -- and indeed, the place I go regularly is fine with people bringing in Starbucks or Second Cup or Tim Hortons (all of which are nearby.)

Wait, there was another difference: the bathroom is not so great at the $35 place.

The $35 place is happy to see me however I am dressed. I've gone in dresses, I've gone in skirts, I've gone in jeans. They know me by (male) name; they ask how my wife is doing; they laugh as they have trouble pronouncing their own names for us; they let the impatient demanding customers stew as they take their time with me.

Most of the places I've gone have been fine with me getting done whatever I wanted. I do recall that one was taken aback and looked a bit disapproving when I asked for (a colored) nail polish. [That one place didn't get much of a tip afterwards.]

Anna B
05-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Happy Birthday Delila...

A x

Stephenie S
05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah. Prices vary. Shop around. I get manicure and pedicure for $60.

S

Delila
05-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks all for the advice and bday wishes. My wife says that we will try a different place next time as she was even surprised by the cost. I am really hopeful that I will have the courage to go so far as color (very boring waiting for the wife's nails to dry) I guess we will see. I will let everyone know how it goes though it will probably be in July.