PDA

View Full Version : One Thing I Don't Understand. . . . .

Sarah_Jane
05-09-2011, 02:40 PM
One thing I don't understand is how people refer to their fem side. People say things like "when I let Sarah out" or "When Sarah comes out", I see this as kind of strange. It's like a good portion of us are schizophrenic or something.

The way I explained it to my friend, when I told her about my CDing, was that I am and always will be the exact same person as you've always known. The fact that I CD does not mean I am a different person, want to talk about different things, or want to be treated any differently. I am the exact same person no matter how I am dressed that day. We can still talk about the dirtbags that live next door, how your day was, and about sports and politics. I don't need to live any differently and I certainly don't have to talk about ponies and flowers when I am dressed.

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Why the insistence that we as CD's are fractured individuals?

Emily_3
05-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I understand fully where you are coming from, I used to think of myself as two separate identities, but not anymore.
Why should you be different when dressed, after all you are still the same person underneath the clothes and the make up.

I still feel the same whatever I'm doing or wearing, whether it's changing the oil on the car, or shopping in town, the only thing that changes are my clothes,
Emily is still Emily. Nothing can change that.

:)

msniki48
05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Sarah, this is a tough one for me. Although i have integrated who i am as a person [ i compartmentalized for many years] I still have different filters, that come and go as needed. Niki has the least amount of filters, and vince has the most. i don't speak the same way, i don't walk the same way when im niki or vince. yet i know im being me, it is somewhat unconsious at this point. my therapist watches me change back and forth several times through a session.

When i asked her about it, she said everyone is like that. you call on what you need when you need it. her example was that as a boss speaking to one of her therapists, [ male] her body launguage changes and her thoughts are very direct and to the point, yet if she was in a social setting, her body launguage would be different and so whould her manner of speach...yet she is still Elizabeth through the whole different set of circumstances.

So i think , when i say i had a niki nite or i let niki out for a few hours...i think i mean i dropped a whole lot of filters and enjoyed being myself.

thanks for making me think...this is what i come here for...and who knows.... maybe i get to help someone too

hugs

msniki48

kimdl93
05-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I have the same sense that I'm me, no matter how I'm dressed. I don't mean this as criticism of those who prefer to define or carve out an alternate persona...so long as they aren't doing the Sybil thing.

Rianna Humble
05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I think it can partly depend on why you cross-dress. Those who want to emulate a woman when they are dressed will often take on a different personality at the same time. saying something like "when Sarah comes out" can be a kind of short hand to saying "when I was dressed and doing my best to present as a woman".

OTOH if you are like I was just over 12 months ago, in partial denial of my true gender but working towards being able to start my transition, there was a distinct difference between when I was being my true self and when I still had to pretend I was a man. In that period, I often thought and spoke of "when I was being Robert". Yes, the underlying person is still me, but there were differences between when I had to pretend to be a man and when I could just be the real me.

Kaz
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I am quite clear about this.. I am me. It has taken me a long time to accept the person I am, and of course I am developing all the time.

The thing is... although I am me, when I transform from my male persona to what I see in the mirror as this "almost" female looking person I see someone else... this is Kaz. She is not a schizoid delusion... she is me.. but as what I might look like if I was a woman.

So inside I am me and complete, but when I get made up and put the wig on... I transform! Many here will know what this feels like. It is like opening the door into another universe!

So I talk of Kaz.. and yes she has her world. Am I schizophrenic? Maybe, but I suspect not. I have just found an identity for the ultimate in my CDing. Right now I am in male mode at home but I am wearing a thong and stockings under my jeans and some 4inch heels. Underdressing?

Am I Kaz? You bet I am... But when I do the whole thing... it becomes a different ball game

MaggieCD
05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
So what is the matter with multiple personalities?
They provide for great discussions.
The real problem is when I go to the shrink..she charges me for each person!

You know I am making lite of the situtation but by all means I don't take it lightly! :>)

Marissa
05-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Sarah, this topic has been approached before and I'm sure as time goes by, it will again. Its a valid question..but in the end, most that 'don't understand', may still continue to not understand. For SOME that view crossdressing in the same manner as a hobby or fetish may use this type of reference to ensure that its viewed as two seperate entities.. LOL..Sybil like..okay..maybe :)

I have been known to reference things about Marissa to save my being outed in public in drab. Its safer for me to say "Marissa would love this skirt" if shopping in Wally World with my daughter and strangers are nearby.. yes, maybe not completly sane, but hey, its my life :)

I like the term 'compartmentalized'..I'm sure that if I was choosing to allow both worlds to integrate, then maybe I would do this type of reference. Who knows...

Leyna
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Hmm. I don't really relate to what you are saying. I have several different personalities (not in a disorder sort of way, I am general aware when I'm doing it) that adjust according to who I'm with or what I'm doing. Leyna is me, but she is only part of me. (A part that was ignored for a very long time, btw.) But religious me is different than sports fan me or work me or husband me. It's very compartmentalized. I wish I could integrate it all into one "me," but I don't know how. They are all different aspects of me.

suzy1
05-09-2011, 04:17 PM
For me it’s a sort of split personality. Me the man and me as Suzy.
But the two blur into each other as a man as I am still part Suzy. But when I am Suzy I am all Suzy.
As I type this I realize I am a bit weird. But its fun to be this way.

SUZY

Lorileah
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I think when we talk about ourselves in a third person sense it is mostly for clarification especially here. As we present the majority of time as our male selves, when we discuss or feminine side it is difficult to communicate that as just saying "I". When we are in real life I don't think many here go around saying "Susie wants a drink" or "Sally is going home goodbye." But on his type of forum when a person does say "Betty went out last night" they are just telling you that their female self did something.

It is just a written way of separating one part from another. If you read the posts just as many use the words "I" and "me" especially after establishing that they were dressed at the time. Hunting snipes and even intimating that there is a psychological problem (like multiple personalities) is an issue is more over thinking this.

susand262
05-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Interesting question. I have just recently ventured out as Susan. Where as my female personna is different than my male personna, being Susan allows me to be and feel different. It is hard to explain and I envy those who can feel as one, but when I am Susan I do feel different and I like it that way.

Carroll
05-09-2011, 04:50 PM
It's not so much a split personality, but a blended one for me. When dressed, it's 60% Carroll and 40% Chris, when in drab it's the opposite. People that have seen me dressed have noted this

Fractured
05-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this way? Why the insistence that we as CD's are fractured individuals?

I have not created an alter ego, but then I have never left the house dressed either. It may be a bit odd for someone in a dress to be called "Bob" or "Dave" in public - it points out the fact that something is not per usual.

And fractured can really describe some feelings. :)

Barbra P
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
For me it’s a sort of split personality. Me the man and me as Suzy.
But the two blur into each other as a man as I am still part Suzy. But when I am Suzy I am all Suzy.
As I type this I realize I am a bit weird. But its fun to be this way.

SUZY

Suzy

Of course your weird your from the U.K. … wait a minute, what am I saying? My ancestors came from the U.K. too … never mind.

Eryn
05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
For some it is simply an convenient way to refer to one's status. I spend the great majority of my time en drab, but when I do get a rare chance to exhibit my female side, even partially I say "Eryn comes out" or "I get to be Eryn." It doesn't imply a completely different personality although that is certainly a possibility with many CDers.

PretzelGirl
05-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm with Lori and Eryn. If we were to write out how we were dressed all the time, there would be a lot of extra typing going on. Saying I went to the movies as Sue makes for a quicker reference in my writing (and a whole lot more fun than saying "I went as him").

But there are some people who feel like there are two distinct personalities inside of them. And they need to express which one they are talking about. The rest are just exercising a writing style.

docrobbysherry
05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
One thing I don't understand is how people refer to their fem side. People say things like "when I let Sarah out" or "When Sarah comes out", I see this as kind of strange. It's like a good portion of us are schizophrenic or something.

The way I explained it to my friend, when I told her about my CDing, was that I am and always will be the exact same person as you've always known. The fact that I CD does not mean I am a different person, want to talk about different things, or want to be treated any differently. I am the exact same person no matter how I am dressed that day. We can still talk about the dirtbags that live next door, how your day was, and about sports and politics. I don't need to live any differently and I certainly don't have to talk about ponies and flowers when I am dressed.

I'm always the same person. And, that's NOT a female, unfortunately!:straightface:

I can SEE ONE in the mirror when I dress, but I don't think of her as me. I'm OK with that. I've pretty much given up trying to find my "fem side".:sad:

Maybe that's just as well! Sometimes I get lightening bolt feelings from that "girl in the mirror" that scare the HOLY CRAP OUT OF ME!:eek:

Kathryn Philips
05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
If I get to ever leave my house with a female appearance, I will definitely want to leave all aspects of my male personality at home.

RenneB
05-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I agree with the compartmentalized comment below. I have, over the years, had to compartmentalize many of my life things. When I went to work, I had work friends. When I went home to the apartment, I had apartment friends. I did things with my apartment friends that I would never do with work friends. And so the compartments had to have walls built up. If any of my work friends knew of my home friends, I would probably loose my job. Didn't want that to happen so the walls got stronger. Then I had my side as Renne. Neither my home friends, nor work friends knew of her. And the walls got stronger.

From the side of Renne down the home friends down to work friends, I would say that Renne (and now new friends) would be accepting of home friends as well as work friends. However, it doesn't work the other way. The work friends would never accept the home friends and neither would accept the side of Renne.

So that's how it is with me. I jump from one compartment to another. Trying to keep the persona's in line so that I can maintain some sort of "normal" life. Some day the walls of this closet will come down and all will see what was there from the begining..... just not yet...

Renne....

Michaela42
05-09-2011, 09:00 PM
So what is the matter with multiple personalities?
They provide for great discussions.
The real problem is when I go to the shrink..she charges me for each person!

You know I am making lite of the situtation but by all means I don't take it lightly! :>)

Along those same lines:
I am not schizophrenic . . . and neither am I!

<budum . .. ching>

No, but seriously; I think it is like Rianna said, just an expression for some people.

t-girlxsophie
05-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I dont worry about stuff like this.Im a happy and content human being who happens to dress up as a girl,am still the same person I just may express myself one way one day and another way the next day,I dont feel the need to analyse myself at every turn,I just enjoy my life .

NathalieX66
05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
When I'm out in public, I am always the same person as a guy or en femme. The only thing I change is the way I move....and I'll act more girly. Sometimes I'll change my voice pitch.

Acting agressively and manly blows the whole thing up. I want to be a woman when I'm out & about.

Confused?.....yeah, so am I.

Vale
05-09-2011, 11:02 PM
For me, part of the fun is playing with another side of my personality. The other sides of my personality are still me, and all live by the same fundamental moral compass, but can have different viewpoints. I enjoy exploring and exercising those different viewpoints.

Vale

Lizeth
05-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I think we may find ourselves acting differently because people approach us differently. I have a number of friends who have seen me Girl'd, (But only a handful know it runs deeper than a halloween costume or a party gag). I've noticed that when en femme, and attempting to present as such, a lot of people approach you from a different angle, usually females. I was at a party, Girl'd and sat down next to my friend who had known me for a while in boy mod. Now Girl'd, she suddenly whips out her smart phone and shows me her wedding pictures. When I'm sitting at the bar (The one LGBT friendly one in town) in boy mode, you might get the odd conversation or something, when Girl'd, there is way more conversation. My other friend, when I go over to her house Boy'd, she'd like ask me to look at her computer. Girl'd, she show me what she bought and talk about her kids. Yes, my opinions, desires, beliefs and general personality may be the same, but I get to explore aspects of it through situations I would never have if I wasn't Liz.

RachelOKC
05-09-2011, 11:36 PM
For you Seinfeld fans..."Jimmy might have a compound fracture! Jimmy's going into shock!"

I don't get the third person self-referral either but to each their own I suppose. It does irk me a bit when someone says, "How's Rachel? Rachel's wearing a lovely necklace. What's Rachel been up to? Rachel looks like she's about to bop Berthilda over the head with a copy of Strunk and White."

"Yeah...um, Rachel's right here. Me. I'm Rachel. 'You.' You can say 'you.' Rachel? 'You.' Well, not YOU you, but ME you. Rachel? 'You.' Ewe? Rachel? Never mind, terrible pun."

Anyhoo, I'm me. Not some third party. Unless I'm not present. One wonders.

Delila
05-09-2011, 11:53 PM
While I rarely refer to myself in third person as Delila I find that I do have two personalities that are apparent. When I am around "the guys" I will act much differently then when I am around someone that I am out to. I think it is really just an easy way of saying "I got to let my real self out tonight" rather than a regular night where you pretend to be masculine.

2SpeedTranny
05-10-2011, 01:36 AM

It could be that they're still ashamed of that part of themselves, haven't accepted themselves, and can't bring themselves to use "I" or "me." The part they're ashamed of becomes compartmentalized, and can pass off responsibility for their actions on an alternate personality. Eh, it's a theory, and I'm sure some shrink somewhere has already thought of it. :straightface:

Either way, it comes off as somewhat disturbing.

VioletJourney
05-10-2011, 01:40 AM
I think when discussing your male and female sides it's just simpler to refer to yourself in the third person.

Kate Simmons
05-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Think of it as a sort of "roundhouse" such as used to be utilized for servicing locomotives. The mind has many modules and we sometimes wear a lot of "hats". We don't wear them all the time, however, and "tap into" or "wheel into" different aspects or specialties of ourselves as needed. If we had this all at once , all the time it would be pretty confusing. All of the aspects are "us" in any case. The difference between most folks and those with DID is that normally we can do this consciously as needed rather than totally assuming another persona that must take over entirely.:)

sometimes_miss
05-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Men have a very good capacity for compartmentalizing our lives, and I think what you see on these websites is evidence of that. Using a different name makes it even easier to fool themselves into believing it's not the 'real' person we are.

Danni Renee
05-10-2011, 04:24 AM
I am at the stage where I go both ways. Most of the time I refer to myself as just me, regardless of how I am dressed. Other times, when I want to be very specific when talking with my SO, I talk in terms of my guy name and my gal name. It is not that I feel like I am two people (well I do not feel that way anymore), it is just that using both names allows me to be specific in what I am talking about.

Sarasometimes
05-10-2011, 07:11 AM

I see a therapist mainly to better understand and manage my crossdressing on a day to day basis since I'm closeted. just last week I asked her the difference between CDing and schizophrenia. She said the latter is uncontrolled. The personality change is drastic and unpredictable. I agree that we are all just one personality but many of us feel uneasy expressing all the aspects of that one personality in many settings. The other day i was watching The Amazing race and the dad in the dad/daughter team said his daughter is a tomboy but that she also knows how to dance. I don't know of a similar term for males with female traits? Genrally tomboy are looked at favorably. As a child I once used the term tomgirl and I was told that isn't a real word. Great thread!

Pythos
05-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Well, I am pretty much the same person when in a skirt, or pants. When fully fem, it really is only in looks, and perhaps movement. But I am still me. It is actually quite liberating feeling to be talking the latest aviation news, or some technicalities of some aircraft or machine when wearing pantyhose, leggings, nice boots and a dressy shirt, or better yet when in hose skirt and heels, blouse, make up, and wig. I know I have surprised some people with my knowledge base despite appearances. I am the embodiment of "never judge a book by its cover" :)

BillieJoEllen
05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm 100% me, 100% of the time. However I do seem to have two distinct personalities. There is me (male) and there is me (female). I think differently and act differently depending on who I am at the moment. I refer to me as me and Billie as Billie.

Maria Blackwood
05-10-2011, 09:09 PM

We're all fascinating little jeweled puzzle boxes.

I'm a complete whole with many facets, and I sometimes I rotate it so that the light glints off of certain facets more than others.

It's why I can wear my sexiest lingerie all the while taking down noobs in the Gears Of War 3 beta. ;-)

tabithavalentine
05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Like some others have said, I refer to Tabitha as a different person because I feel like a different person when I dress. There's a different mentality. I've sometimes worried I'd develop mental issues as a result, but I like to think I'm grounded enough to know who I am.

That's what my other personalities tell me anyway ;)

juno
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
It is normal for people to have multiple personalities. That is why "Multiple Personality Disorder" was renamed "Dissociative Identity Disorder". It is only a mental illness when the personalities are independent. A crossdresser wants to behave as a man when dressed as a male, and as a woman when dressed as female. To get this right, one has to really develop separate personalities.

For me, I believe that my male personality is primarily the left hemisphere, and the female personality is primarily the right hemisphere. People with extreme epilepsy have had surgery to sever the corpus callosum joining the two hemispheres. The hemispheres then exhibit independent identities. The corpus callosum is smaller in men, so I suspect that many male crossdressers have gender identities that are somewhat divided among the left and right hemispheres.

2SpeedTranny
05-11-2011, 01:16 AM
It's why I can wear my sexiest lingerie all the while taking down noobs in the Gears Of War 3 beta. ;-)

Thank you for helping me swear off gaming! *shudder* :D

eluuzion
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Me, myself, I, and she asked Eluuzion and she said the term for that is illeism (act of referring to oneself in the third degree). The “meaning” depends upon the circumstances in which it is used. It is a popular approach used by authors in text media. It is a common well-adjusted stage seen in 2-4 year old children with “invisible friends”. It can become a tool used by adults to accomplish various objectives. Etc...etc...

There are disorders (NPD) narcissistic personality disorder, schizophrenia as well as a few others where the patient can display this behavior. There are also people that display this behavior that have no confirmed clinical diagnosis of any disorder.

There are explanations that lack the magical and mystical romance of fairy dust interventions altering cognitive processes. They provide logical and document able explanations of personal agendas and creative strategies of people trying to ultimately erase the connection between their actions and their accountability for them.

It takes many forms and varies in intensity from basic concealment to the creation of an "invisible friend" that is capable of independent thought and actions out of their control.
It is all about creating distance from your actions by shifting blame away from yourself in order to escape the guilt and consequences of your behavior.

In this case, the ultimate objective might be to create a game with a rule that states that any time you put on a dress, you become exempt from any ownership of your actions or the consequences that always follow. It is much more “real” and entertaining when played on the internet than it is playing it in the F2F world of “real life”.:heehee:

"It wasn't me...it was her". :)

Just another personal "theory" that may be applicable to a few, many or nobody. I predict it won’t be a popular one on this forum,:heehee:
It is not specific to crossdressing. It can relate to many issues in life. I am just sharing thoughts, not pointing a finger at anyone.

HaveFun/BeHappy,
Me, Myself, I, her ...and eluuzion:love:

sissystephanie
05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I only have one body and one mind. So no matter what clothing I am wearing I am still the same person! Unless some of you have a magical way to change your body, you too are the same person under the cloak of your femme personality! You may want to think you are a different person, but you are not!! Call it the way it is, not the way you want it to be!!

Rachel Morley
05-12-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm with you ... I never refer to myself in the third perosn when talking about my femme self. I like to think that I am just the same person all the time, it's just that sometimes I am presenting as a female, and so like to think of myself as female, and so I try to act appropriately female too. In boy mode it's the same but it's toned down a bit .. especially at work and especially my clothes, hair and makeup :)