PDA

View Full Version : Store layout - Macy's

susann_gardener
05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I just visited the Macy's in Peabody MA. What a CD unfriendly layout! The womens areas are in a separate building from the mens making it impossible for those of us who don't pass to try on clothing. :sad:

abigailf
05-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I have gone into the womans dressing rooms in male mode before. I just asked where I can try these on and they let me go in the nearest dressing room (which is usually the womans when shopping in those departments.) With that said, I try not to make a habit of it. If the mens dressing room is accessible from the womans dept, then I will use it (when dressed in male mode). If not, then I ask.

Stephanie47
05-11-2011, 03:07 PM
The JCPenny store at my local mall is the same way. The women's and children's department are in a different location than the men's store. It makes it awkward, especially when children are using the same dressing room as adults.

satin n lace
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
we go shopping at the Macy's by us and that one has a good layout. i guess the stores just differ from store to store.

Dr.Susan
05-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Macy's has a very liberal return policy. Just take it home, if it does not fit, return it.

Darlene-VA
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I shop at our local Belk a lot (super dress selection) and they actually have two stores in the same mall, one has mens and household and the other is totally women's and I mostly shop dressed and the SA's are always nice and helpful.

Diane Smith
05-12-2011, 12:31 AM
I may be wrong about this, but somehow I suspect that when the management at Macy's plotted out the arrangement for that store, making it CD-friendly was not one of their top three priorities. :)

- Diane

Sarasometimes
05-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Anyone notice the huge signs in Target now that call out which dressing room is which. They appear to be nearly a story high. i go where it is easy an I feel welcomed.

Kate Lynn
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah,thats Macys for you,I visit the Macys in Salt Lake City when I have to go to the VA hospital there,and they are worrysome,their attitude is red alert towards me,especially if I have to try on shoes,because it's a 6 hour drive from here to there,you wouldn't believe some of the stuff people have said to me.

One sales girl told me people like me should be killed,I was trying on a pair of Steve Madden ballet flats,I bought them then wore them out of the store,hoping. :D

Mary Lee
05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I was treated like a queen at Macys last Tuesday. A lot of girly talk. I got a dress, panties, bra, and a girdle. Bad part was I had to take home to try on but the experence was great.

carhill2mn
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
The Macy's store at the mall that I frequent is laid out the same way. I doubt that there was any thought as to the "inconvenince" it might cause people such as you. I do not do much shopping there but what I would do would be en femme so, it is not an issue for me.

kimdl93
05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah,thats Macys for you,I visit the Macys in Salt Lake City .....One sales girl told me people like me should be killed,I was trying on a pair of Steve Madden ballet flats,I bought them then wore them out of the store,hoping. :D

I hope this reaction was more a reaction of one ill-informed SA, rather than the prevailing attitude at Macy's or in Salt Lake City

VeronicaMoonlit
05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
The womens areas are in a separate building from the mens making it impossible for those of us who don't pass to try on clothing. :sad:

Why would it be impossible? If you're en femme in a likelyhood you'd just use the dressing rooms in the women's department. If you were in "male mode" you might STILL use the dressing room's in the women's department, because it's the closest. Passability really isn't an issue in this matter.

Veronica

Roberta Marie
05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I may be wrong about this, but somehow I suspect that when the management at Macy's plotted out the arrangement for that store, making it CD-friendly was not one of their top three priorities. :)

- Diane

And, I suspect that making it CD unfriendly did not even cross their minds.

Roberta Marie
05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah,thats Macys for you,I visit the Macys in Salt Lake City when I have to go to the VA hospital there,and they are worrysome,their attitude is red alert towards me,especially if I have to try on shoes,because it's a 6 hour drive from here to there,you wouldn't believe some of the stuff people have said to me.

One sales girl told me people like me should be killed,I was trying on a pair of Steve Madden ballet flats,I bought them then wore them out of the store,hoping. :D

I don't think that this is a company wide mentality. I have been to several different Macy's around Ohio en femme and have never had any problems. I've always been treated corduly and with respect. When I ask where I can try something on, I'm always directed to the Women's Fitting rooms, and on one occaision, I had the sales lady walk me in to an empty room, past some older women that were leaving, I think intent on calming any fears of other customers.

rachael ann
05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I have never had a problem at my local macys.I have brought several tops, and makeup . The sales girls have alway been helpful. I guess every store is differant. The womans sizes 16- 24 are actually on the mens floor.

Kate Lynn
05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I hope this reaction was more a reaction of one ill-informed SA, rather than the prevailing attitude at Macy's or in Salt Lake City

It's the typical reaction in Salt Lake City,because of the socalled ruling class.

Kate Lynn
05-12-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't think that this is a company wide mentality. I have been to several different Macy's around Ohio en femme and have never had any problems. I've always been treated corduly and with respect. When I ask where I can try something on, I'm always directed to the Women's Fitting rooms, and on one occaision, I had the sales lady walk me in to an empty room, past some older women that were leaving, I think intent on calming any fears of other customers.

I don't really dress enfemme,I'm more the androgynous dresser,womens low rise jeans,tops and shoes,I don't try to emmulate women in any way,I honestly don't think it's a Macys thing as much as it's a Mormon thing.

Jessica S
05-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I been to sevral Macy's, always in male clothes, but had only the guts to try on stuff at one. I asked where to try them on at and she lead me to the closets women's dressing room. No Problem.

christinac
05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I've never been in a Macy's. Are they pretty reasonable price wise?

Eryn
05-12-2011, 07:51 PM
One sales girl told me people like me should be killed...

I very much doubt that this is Macy's corporate policy, even in conservative religious areas. I think that a letter to Macy's management concerning what this salesgirl said would be in order. If she's threatening you, who knows what she is saying to other people who happen to be different than she. One loose cannon like this has the potential to drive away thousands of dollars in future business.

Christina, they are fairly reasonable if you hit their sales. If you shop the higher end stuff hang onto your Visa card! :)

eluuzion
05-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Merchants think in terms of marketing, material handling, inventory control, theft prevention,security issues and liability issues...not crossdressing issues, lol.

Sometimes I amuse myself imagining the different possible scenarios that might take place when a CD is buying female clothing. One of them is how easily the jittery behavior of a nervous CD's efforts to select and purchase clothing could be mis-interpreted as a possible thief trying to steal merchandise...when viewed on a security monitor. There is always somebody watching you every minute you are in a store.

Just one of those annoyances that comes with the lifestyle. It's always something, eh?
:love:

Loni
05-12-2011, 11:32 PM

not so much as a get them thing, but you should have reported thes sa to the store and Corp. in light of some things in the news people like "that" need to be know about even by the police.
as the statment of you should be killed is a death threat.

take care.

Loni

PretzelGirl
05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't really dress enfemme,I'm more the androgynous dresser,womens low rise jeans,tops and shoes,I don't try to emmulate women in any way,I honestly don't think it's a Macys thing as much as it's a Mormon thing.

I can assure you it is an individual thing. There are way too many of us here that have accepting Mormon friends, are Mormon (I'm not but I have a lot of CD friends who are), or interact with Mormon SAs. I have yet to have a bad experience shopping here. Please don't look for the boogeyman where one doesn't exist. We have enough real things to deal with.

For the OP, if you are comfortable with it, I would ask them if you can try things on in the available rooms. If you aren't comfortable with it, then you can only buy blind and return things if they don't fit or don't shop there. Probably it was a function of the space they needed and the stores that were available when they moved in.

TxKimberly
05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I love shopping at Macy's and I have ALWAYS been very well treated there. I wanted to buy a pair of boots one night when I was in boy mode, and the SA there told me to make myself comfortable and feel free to try them on. I LOVE MAcy's!

skirtsuit
05-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Merchants think in terms of marketing, material handling, inventory control, theft prevention,security issues and liability issues...not crossdressing issues, lol.

The good ones also think about the people shopping, i.e. their customers. The Macy's in center city is one of my favorite places. The people there are nice and shopping while listening to a world-class organist play the worlds largest organ is really fun.

If you had a bad experience at a particular Macy's, don't go back. Is the a Nordstroms anywhere nearby?

Best,
SS

Kate Lynn
05-15-2011, 06:20 PM
I can assure you it is an individual thing. There are way too many of us here that have accepting Mormon friends, are Mormon (I'm not but I have a lot of CD friends who are), or interact with Mormon SAs. I have yet to have a bad experience shopping here. Please don't look for the boogeyman where one doesn't exist. We have enough real things to deal with.

For the OP, if you are comfortable with it, I would ask them if you can try things on in the available rooms. If you aren't comfortable with it, then you can only buy blind and return things if they don't fit or don't shop there. Probably it was a function of the space they needed and the stores that were available when they moved in.

I was trained by the military to be the real boogey man,people like that SA don't worry me,and I know how to deal with physical assaults,I'm trying to get me VA care transfered to the Helena Montana VA hospital,through my congressmans office.

lingerieLiz
05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Macy's is very friendly toward CDs. Just read their reviews online for lingerie. They let males post reviews about anything and everything. I shopped at a Macy's last week for lingerie. Purchased some panties and bras. Had two SAs discuss whose customer I was. As I was checking out I said I should have tried on the bras and the SA said absolutely. I just didn’t have time.

The fact is I’ve found that the department store chains vary by location and who’s on the floor. Been to the same store with different SAs and different reactions.

I like Macy’s and Dillards. Both stores carry great brands and if you shop when they have sales you can find great bargains. Sales at more than 75% off let you buy at prices cheaper for the quality than the discount retailers or the thrift stores. This New Years instead of getting ready for foot ball, I was shopping with all the women for lingerie. Bought Wacoal bras for less than $10.