PDA

View Full Version : Without giving details.....

Helen_Highwater
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't want anyone to compromise their personal data/security but how often do you create in some way, a password or user ID that reflects your CD side when accessing non CD web sites etc.

Vickie_CDTV
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I use a fictional male name for non-tg sites, and a very long random generated password for all sites.

Eryn
05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Nope, I don't go there. All I need is for a bored sysadmin to look up a revealing password!

OTOH, Garibaldi, the tough-guy security chief in the TV show Babylon 5 used "Peekaboo" as his password. His explanation when questioned: Would _you_ have guessed it?

RenneB
05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I on sooo many sites, on-line stores, etc that I have almost a different password for each. So darn many that I've got a separate sheet of just sites and PWs. Nope, none of them are in anyway revealing of my inside self. Here's one I'll never use..... 6UL-DV7+1.....

Renne.....

sissystephanie
05-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm too old for all this problem! I use 2 names, but one password! Works for me!

VioletJourney
05-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Mine usually reflect my rock n' roll side, even on this site.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I do not think I would/could use a CD name etc to access non CD websites. Compromise myself? no way.

Tina B.
05-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Never cross that line.
Tina B.

sandra-leigh
05-12-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't sign up for many new sites these days. Mostly I use my male name for sites related to my professional interests, my female name for sites related to clothing or CD/TG, and a randomly generated non-gendered name for things I'd rather not have associated with either.

If I were to start using my female name on some of the sites related to my professional interests, very likely the two would "leak" together. It isn't worth the bother to disguise my style and knowledge.

Cheryl T
05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
That depends on the site. If it's a clothing site or something related to this then I prefer to shop as Cheryl. If it's something else then it depends on my mood.

Raynefall
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I haven't ever done it. I keep all my usernames and passwords pretty much around the same thing. Well my username on here is different than anywhere else though. Lol.

Kate Simmons
05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Several but being multidimensional, it kind of goes with the turf.:battingeyelashes::)

Rianna Humble
05-15-2011, 02:54 PM
As I own several domains, I usually attribute a separate email address to each site I sign up to. Being lazy, I often use a munged version of a term derived from my eBay user-id as the password.

Lately, I use my rianna.me.uk domain for most new sign-ups unless they are specific to my family when I use on of the family domains.

Kathryn Philips
05-15-2011, 04:51 PM
At work I have a multitude of passwords for logging on to various systems. I have thought in the past of using passwords related with my femme side or name of item of female clothing. But sometimes I need to share password because I'm on vacation and someone is covering for me, so decided to keep my passwords as something related to my daughter. Otherwise too much explaining to do...

RachelF
05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
It is not a good practice to have a password that relates to you in anyway (male, female, hobby related, etc.). Best thing is to come out with some password like RenneĀ“s that you can remember using a mnemonic relation.

Rianna Humble
05-15-2011, 11:12 PM
I agree with you in principle, Rachel, but assure you that no-one could guess my password even if I tell them the name from which it is derived and give clues. I have put it to the test with a similar password that I used to use but was prepared to sacrifice. My current password is longer than the old one that no-one guessed.

alyssaenglefield
05-15-2011, 11:24 PM
I have created some accounts under my femme name - but that is in addition accounts in my male name on the same site. I use three different passwords for the majority of stuff (i use a different password for my bank account though), but I only use one of those for my femme accounts. That, and I have two 4-digit PIN combinations - one for banking and one for the rest.

Sedona
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
None. My logon/password is very unique to this site.

Jess Marie
05-15-2011, 11:40 PM
My high school generated random passwords with us. I know several people who have been out of school for atleast 5 years who still to this day use the random school password. an example, but certainly not mine is gfr70bza. It contains 8 characters and is completely random. I have friends who have 7 letters and 1 number and friends with 2 letters and 6 numbers. It is just one of those things that will stick with us forever.

my user names are usually all similar, but on shopping sites and ebay (I buy lots of womens attire) I use a female related username