PDA

View Full Version : Saw a counsellor today, regarding my gender issues.

Jay Cee
05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
What a great experience. Seemed super understanding, calm, and helpful. Referred me to a program here in town for TG / TS folks. I have another appointment in a couple of weeks, and am on the waiting list to see a doctor who specializes in dealing with TG/TS issues. Not sure where this will lead, but I'm looking forward to the journey.

Oh, and I went ahead and submitted my application for a legal name change. I am VERY happy about that.

What a glorious day. :)

P.S. Thanks to my gf for all her support.

sandra-leigh
05-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Some big steps there, Jay Cee!

Are you changing your name to "Jay" ?

Jay Cee
05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Some big steps there, Jay Cee!

Are you changing your name to "Jay" ?

Thanks, Sandra-Leigh!

As for the name, I'm keeping the real one under wraps, as far as a public forum is concerned.

AKAMichelle
05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Sounds like you move like me. I make a decision and everybody better get out of the way or I will run you over. glad to meet another determined sister.

sandra-leigh
05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
As for the name, I'm keeping the real one under wraps, as far as a public forum is concerned.

I suspected as much, which is why I phrased the question as I did instead of directly asking the new name ;-)

erika130
05-13-2011, 07:38 PM
This is very nice to hear! I've realized it's a pretty slow process all around, & that can feel hard sometimes, but it also feels so good to get it going, so my best wishes on your journey! :hugs:

Hope
05-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow - good for you. You get a gold-star, and I mean that completely seriously and non-ironically, non-sarcastically. Awesome job.

Welcome to being a big girl and getting serious about this.

And a legal name change after one visit to the therapist... some one is ready for warp speed!

Jay Cee
05-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow - good for you. You get a gold-star, and I mean that completely seriously and non-ironically, non-sarcastically. Awesome job.

Welcome to being a big girl and getting serious about this.

And a legal name change after one visit to the therapist... some one is ready for warp speed!

Actually, the name change was in the works for a while. I just happened to have time for dropping off the paperwork today.

Thank you all for the well wishes.

Katesback
05-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Ok so I am not sure but from the wording it sounds like you went to see a therapist for the FIRST time. You then mention starting the process of changing your name. Ummmm ok well ummmmmm I have been known to be blunt but unfortunately if I were to say anything else I would be significantly too blunt. With that said ummmmmmmmm. ok........... I need a drink.

Katie

boardpuppy
05-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Congrats girl.....when its time, it's time. A small step for Jac Cee, a big step for ????

AnnaCalliope
05-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Ok so I am not sure but from the wording it sounds like you went to see a therapist for the FIRST time. You then mention starting the process of changing your name. Ummmm ok well ummmmmm I have been known to be blunt but unfortunately if I were to say anything else I would be significantly too blunt. With that said ummmmmmmmm. ok........... I need a drink.

Katie

She did say that the name change has been in the works for several months prior to seeing a therapist. Its not like she had one session, and then went out and changed her name to something completely femme. If I had the money, I go out and shorten my name to the gender neutral version, by cutting off the last 6 letters. That way when I go out to the bar or club en femme, since my ID already has a somewhat feminine picture, and the name would then be one that both males and females use, the real dead giveaway would be that tiny "M" down at the bottom. For a lot of TG folk, having a gender neutral name like "Pat", or "Chris", or "Aidan", gives a certain peace of mind, especially when out en femme with close friends, that way when someone slips up and says your real name instead of your femme name, it still could be considered a girl's name. There's nothing worse than being out en femme, dressed to the nines and having one of your friends say in a fairly loud manner, "Hey Robert, these heels would look awesome with that dress!"

Kaitlyn Michele
05-14-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm glad for you JayCee

I hope you continue to work things out for yourself..it's very empowering to move forward

all the best !

Nigella
05-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Katie

OK so whats wrong with this? I had been living as a female for 2 years before I had a legal name change, just using my female name, but nothing official. A change in my life enabled me to go completly female and then used the deed poll system to change both my title and name officially. A further 3 years AFTER name change was my first appointment with any professional regarding my gender. Iv'e said this before, one size don't fit all, we all follow our own paths, what the hell does it matter how we do it, as long as we get to where WE want to be.

Melody Moore
05-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Iv'e said this before, one size don't fit all, we all follow our own paths, what the hell does it matter how we do it, as long as we get to where WE want to be.
I have to agree & take my situation for example, I started living full-time as a female, one month later I got to
see my first doctor & pyschologist. And just 6 weeks later & after seeing two doctors & a pyschologist 3 times,
they had established & identified my gender markers.

Also by this stage I had already changed name to a female name, so they issued me with a Gender Identity
Certificate & the name & sex shown on my licence & all my other documentation was all changed over all on
the same day & without any questions from those businesses & government departments I had to deal with.

The staff at my gender clinic told me that they have never met anyone like me who was so feminine & could
transition from male to female so quickly & easily. They were also convinced when they first seen me that I
was on some type of hormone therapy & already had electrolysis on my facial hair. They were shocked to find
out I hadn't started any treatments, so this is why they then started to investigate my intersex condition further.

Michelle.M
05-14-2011, 09:25 AM
I am so happy for you, it's great that you've taken this step!

Jay Cee
05-14-2011, 02:10 PM
In order to spare Kate another reason to drink ;) , I will say that my new name is quite gender neutral (as some suspected).

Anna Marie nailed it, with For a lot of TG folk, having a gender neutral name like "Pat", or "Chris", or "Aidan", gives a certain peace of mind... I also didn't care much for my old name - it was too ... dweebish. If that is a word.

Thanks to everyone for cheering me on. It means a lot to me. :hugs:

Jay Cee

Jay Cee
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
And the document arrived!! Woohoo! Now comes a great deal of paperwork - passport, licence, bank accounts, and so on. But all well worth it.

Happy day!

Jorja
06-28-2011, 10:05 PM
In order to spare Kate another reason to drink ;) , I will say that my new name is quite gender neutral (as some suspected).

Anna Marie nailed it, with For a lot of TG folk, having a gender neutral name like "Pat", or "Chris", or "Aidan", gives a certain peace of mind... I also didn't care much for my old name - it was too ... dweebish. If that is a word.

Thanks to everyone for cheering me on. It means a lot to me. :hugs:

Jay Cee

Let me guess...... JC :heehee:

Alexiz
06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I've only been able to join today, but I'm to hear things are going well for you!

I am clueless about most things about where to start, but I will figure it out soon. Hearing how others handle their situation are an inspiration. Keep it going! c:

Jay Cee
06-29-2011, 05:52 AM
I've only been able to join today, but I'm to hear things are going well for you!

I am clueless about most things about where to start, but I will figure it out soon. Hearing how others handle their situation are an inspiration. Keep it going! c:

Thanks, Alexiz! It's a sometimes crazy road to go down, but it does come together and make sense in the end. Just take one step at a time, girl, and you'll be fine.

Let me guess...... JC Well, it involves those letters - I can tell you that much. ;)

lynn_lynn
06-29-2011, 06:19 AM
best thing I ever did was go to a special clinic that deals only with tg/ts/and gays.. Continuing to go to the VA was dangerous to my overall health.. I also have hrt there but its for Muscular sclerosis more than it is for mtf.. but since thats a part of my soul, Ive had hardly any Ms symptoms since treatment, and it does increase my desire to be who am. Since im in less and less pain.. And Im treated like a whole person.. :D the counseling is great too.