PDA

View Full Version : HRT used as a confirmation.

Felicity71
05-16-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.avitale.com/TreatmentPlan.htm

Gender Identity Disorder Treatment Plan

Updated on 11/29/2003

Based on the HARRY BENJAMIN INTERNATIONAL GENDER DYSPHORIA ASSOCIATION'S STANDARDS OF CARE FOR GENDER IDENTITY DISORDERS -- SIXTH VERSION

Stage II: Hormone Replacement Therapy If applicable and patient feels a need to go further in cross gender exploration, a formal referral to physician for Hormone Replacement Therapy is made. It is well documented that the administration of cross sex hormones have a mitigating effect on patents suffering from severe gender dysphoria. The effect is so marked that the treatment is used to confirm or reject the GID diagnosis. Fortunately. psychological outcomes precede permanent physiological secondary sex characteristic changes, making it an ideal diagnostic confirmation/contraindicating tool. Referral is made to a physician who is well versed in the administration and monitoring of patients taking cross sex hormones

Is it really true that HRT is seen as a indicator of either being trans or not. I dont mind if people decide it is either is or not. Just curious.

Kaitlyn Michele
05-16-2011, 06:49 AM
confirmation is probably too strong a word.

You bolded a key passage...it mitigates the effect of gender dysphoria and the anxiety around it...

taking hormones has changed alot of lives, but i'd be really careful...it's one data point...

do you take hrt? are you considering it?

is there anyone out there that started HRT, then "discovered" they were NOT trannssexual???

noeleena
05-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi.

As im not a transsexual no it does not & i never had dysphoria & wont. & i never came under the Harry Benjamin code of & for my self i dont agree with it. Because it does not apply to me or my intersex friends . yet from the A P A & a few other groups & Dr's & Psych's. they can not get thier heads around that, they may. one size does not fit all. . so there is quite a difference for us . tho for this kid i was treated very differently here in New Zealand,

so having said that there will be some who think we should come under this set of or way of thinking . you see we are not transitsioning & thats the difference. H R T is a drug for women & was only for women . its just some male / to female it works . & even then it works differently for each one , & that can depend on age & for many it does.

Yes i know some who started on meds yet are not trans & some were told you are trans & need to change yes went through it all then changed back to liveing as male because they could not live as a woman why, another subject that one.

Im on replacement meds because my body needs certin meds & its to maintain my body ,

In fact theres not many Dr's who know any thing about the meds we take , for us that is, , & i know many Dr's who dont, let alone knowing how it effects us .

Im not against the general idear behind what was said , tho it's high time it was revised to suit us to day not some years back & its out of date in many respects & it would not work for me.

now im not going to disagree with any one as to how others feel about this, all iv tryed to say is its of no value to place thoes of us under a set way of doing some thing like this that wont work for us who are intersex. of cause that does not include every one . its what may work for one may not for another & i have many many intersex friends who'v been done over by this thinking & with tragic results . so we need to look at the whole picture, & with any meds & how it effects us ,

Have a think about why women take this drug are they trans bcause they take it no of cause not. yet im wondering now if some male to female will. & really as a point female to male what are they taking . the difference between T & E. it does not make us it helps us .

Well id better get my flack jacket on. as ill get shot on this one,

...noeleena...

Aprilrain
05-16-2011, 09:17 AM
My personal experience after 3 months on E and a T blocker is yes and no. Yes I love the mental, emotional and physical effects of HRT. Is this confirmation of my gender Identity, who knows? I was pretty convinced before I started so... And the no part is because I still have quite strong dysphoria on certain days caused mostly by body issues that can only be changed with surgery. It doesn't matter how much estrogen I take it aint going to turn my penis into a vagina!

Inna
05-16-2011, 09:51 AM
I would argue the point on behalf of medical establishment for it provides an affirmation of direction. If a person is a fetishistic crossdresser and feels that transition will help, but doesn't know what lies beyond the rainbow, hrt is a perfect tool in establishing weather female or male persona emerges. It could be a tragedy for someone to venture into a transition with all its intricacies and painful steps, believe me I know, and find out they truly are a male, who just loves to and enjoys fetishistic side of crossing the sex line. For others such as those who remain fixed with their femininity such method provides reaffirmation however it does not take away stresses of transition, Nothing will, the process is so demanding and psychological weight, so heavy, that disphoria is inevitable for at least a while, until body catches up with the mind.

HRT provides a clarification effect, separating sexual tendencies and drive which are quite literately eliminated from the equation, and allows only brain sex to emerge onto open, there could not be any doubt then, what sex it is.

Frances
05-16-2011, 10:02 AM
I would argue the point on behalf of medical establishment for it provides an affirmation of direction. If a person is a fetishistic crossdresser and feels that transition will help, but doesn't know what lies beyond the rainbow, hrt is a perfect tool in establishing weather female or male persona emerges. It could be a tragedy for someone to venture into a transition with all its intricacies and painful steps, believe me I know, and find out they truly are a male, who just loves to and enjoys fetishistic side of crossing the sex line. For others such as those who remain fixed with their femininity such method provides reaffirmation however it does not take away stresses of transition, Nothing will, the process is so demanding and psychological weight, so heavy, that disphoria is inevitable for at least a while, until body catches up with the mind.

HRT provides a clarification effect, separating sexual tendencies and drive which are quite literately eliminated from the equation, and allows only brain sex to emerge onto open, there could not be any doubt then, what sex it is.

Totally. If the changes brought about by HRT are not congruent with the identity, then transition is not recommendable. Quite a few people cannot handle the diminishing libido and halt the process. For me it was an immense feeling of liberation to have that monster quiet down. Thankfully, the permenant physical changes take some time and reversal is possible for one comes to the conclusion that transition is unwanted.

Jorja
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Allana,
I would urge you to translate all HARRY BENJAMIN INTERNATIONAL GENDER DYSPHORIA ASSOCIATION'S STANDARDS OF CARE FOR GENDER IDENTITY DISORDERS loosely. While this is the standard that is followed globally, they are a guide line. Most thearpist do follow these standards but a lot of lattuide is given to their knowledge and expertise. In other words, what works for one doesn't always work for all.

That being said, I have known some that really do not respond to HRT therapy and get a diagnosis of GID. Yet others seem to melt into a sense of calm and well being. Feeling normal but are not diagnosed with GID. HRT is a good indication of GID for some. There is so much more that goes into a diagnosis of GID that HRT alone is not the complete determining factor.

Avana
05-16-2011, 01:47 PM
TFor me it was an immense feeling of liberation to have that monster quiet down. Thankfully, the permenant physical changes take some time and reversal is possible for one comes to the conclusion that transition is unwanted.

My god, for me too. So much more productive and happy in my relationship :)

HRT has calmed me down a lot and allowed me to clear my mind and regain my concentration and happiness. The only anxiety that remains is impatience for the medication to have physical effect. :/

Stephenie S
05-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I am not sure that this is done much anymore. Treatment and diagnosis of GID has changed significantly in the last 10-20 years.

Melody Moore
05-16-2011, 06:22 PM
I am not sure that this is done much anymore. Treatment and diagnosis of GID has changed significantly in the last 10-20 years.
The concept of prescribing cross-sex hormones is still being used by clinicians to diagnose Gender Identity Disorder.
I was prescribed hormones on my second visit & my doctor told me that if it wasn't the right thing for me I wouldn't
like it's effects, loss of libido etc. But for me I found many more benefits from being on hormone therapy, in particular
not feeling so much agitation & aggression. I found the male libido frustrating & often made me feel uncomfortable. So
this is something else I have welcomed & certainly haven't missed.

Anna the Dub
05-19-2011, 06:15 PM
For me going on HRT removed a lot of the anxiety and depression I had been suffering on and off for years. I think the mere fact I now had oestrogen in my body put my mind at ease. It allowed me to become a productive member of society again. The reduction in libido (never lost it altogether) was a welcome side effect, and the continuing pronounced changes in body and appearance reinforce my feelings. Did it confirm I was transsexual? Well, it confirmed it to me whatever about the doctors, as I did have some confusion beforehand as to whether I was a crossdresser or ts.

Felicity71
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank you for the answers, Its now getting up to 18 months on HRT. I would rather not stop, but if I dont hurry up and change my name, it may get harder and more expensive to obtain them. So much paperwork. Procrastination in my middle name. If I stop the tablets, im surely going to spin into heavy depression.

Tasha T
05-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Thankfully, the permenant physical changes take some time and reversal is possible for one comes to the conclusion that transition is unwanted.

How long does it take for permanent physical changes to take place?

Melody Moore
05-21-2011, 09:01 PM
but if I dont hurry up and change my name, it may get harder and more expensive to obtain them.

Worse still, your RLE won't count until you do legally change your name, so you will have to wait another 2 years
from the date that you change your identity before you will even qualify or GRS/SRS. So even if you changed it
tomorrow that will be 3 & 1/2 years from when you started HRT. In which case by then the surgery will also become
even more costly.

How long does it take for permanent physical changes to take place?

I have been on HRT for 9 months and my doctor told me that I would need a mastectomy if I thought about
de-transitioning because of the amount of breast tissue I have already developed. But we are all different
& one size does not fit all. How hormones affect me might be completely different in how they affect you.
Another local girl in my group started HRT the exact same time I did, same drugs & dosages, however she
doesn't have as much breast development as I do in that same amount of time.

morgan51
05-22-2011, 12:57 AM
I think its my age but I didn't have a lot of physical change over a two year period. I did have a very positive calm and didn't at all miss the t. I have no doubts about the decision but my wife certainly did and I will honor that for her. Most of my gender conflict seem to be easing up now after 6 months off hormones. I love my wife and want to preserve our marriage. mentally I am good also some sadness. physically I am healther and feeling good about /my decidsion/to stop ht.

Felicity71
05-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Worse still, your RLE won't count until you do legally change your name, so you will have to wait another 2 years
from the date that you change your identity before you will even qualify or GRS/SRS. So even if you changed it
tomorrow that will be 3 & 1/2 years from when you started HRT. In which case by then the surgery will also become
even more costly.

Im confused, why would the surgery be more expensive?

Aprilrain
05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Im confused, why would the surgery be more expensive?

I think She means because of inflation.