PDA

View Full Version : Crossdress Interview/Employment

jhough19
05-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I've currently got an overnight job, but am needing a 2nd job to help get all my bills caught up. What I'd like to know is if anyone has any experience having a job as a crossdresser and/or going to an interview as one. I'm really wanting to express myself, but am unsure of doing this. I mean I don't want alot of employers turning me down because of this. Also, since my male name is connected to my Social Security Number, could I just provide a female name to the employer along with my Social or would I have to provide them with my male name and let them know that I like to crossdress? If I have to provide photo proof, then I can do that as well. Just wondering about all this. Thanks all.

Daphne Renee
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Many places have a uniform policy or dress code. You would have to be careful as to what job interview you would go crossdressed. A general guideline for interviews is to dress like you would if you work there. Now obviously this is not always possible. Its just a general rule for example you might not want to wear a suit and tie to interview on a construction site nor jeans to an office job. Here in the U.S you are required to give 2 forms of identification if you are hired. I am not certain but I believe one must be a photo i.d.. I am no legal expert by any means but you might get in trouble for giving a false name.

Barbra P
05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi jhough

You need to be honest up front, any misleading information given at an interview can be used for grounds for termination and that would certainly cover presenting as a female when in fact you are a male. I’m sure there are companies and businesses out there that would have no problem with your transgender life style, but I’m also sure that there are a lot more that would have a problem with it – if for no other reason than the distraction that it would cause with other employees, many who might not be very tolerant.

Do you feel comfortable walking into a business and telling them that you are looking for a job, you’re a genetic male but you present as a female? Sooner or later it is going to come out, either some is going to read you or someone is going to walk in on you in the restroom.

When in doubt, the truth is usually the best way to go.

Stephenie S
05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
No, no, no.

It is nobody's business that you crossdress. DON'T say this in an interview.

If you plan on transitioning and will do so while at work for this company, then you have to say something. But if you are just interviewing for a job do NOT tell them you are a crossdresser. Besides your ID has to match who you are. Don't fib. You will never get the job.

I know it would be a dream to be able to work "dressed", but leave it at that, a dream. Do not jeopardize your opportunity for a job. Leave the crossdressing at home.

Persephone
05-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi! I worked as a temp secretary for a few weeks, but it was years ago and the ID requirements may have been different.

Here is some of the story:

In some ways it was great fun, in some ways it wasn't.

Here are a couple of my memories.

In those days Los Angeles had "smog days" and when they did, companies had to close their parking lots to only those who arrived in carpools, or something like that, so for several days I ended up having to street park and walk several blocks in each direction in stilettos.

The women who worked in the assembly area wore pants, but those of us who worked in the offices always wore skirts or dresses, which, of course, was fine with me.

Pantyhose do feel kinda hot and sweaty and not very comfortable when you walk several blocks in 100-degree F (37.7 C) temperatures.

The other women warned me that my boss was the kind who would try to grab a feel, particularly if he could get you near him in his office. They were always sort of curious what it was like to work directly for him.

He was a pretty handsome (O.K., hot) guy, a lot better looking than the majority of guys there, and he did wrap an arm around me one time as we were going down stairs together, but he went on vacation a couple of days after I got there, so I never was exposed to him too much.

For the rest of the time, I reported to his boss, a really nice guy, but with more than a bit of paunch. I guess I was spared, because he wasn't as much of a womanizer and he always treated me very nicely.

Some of the other women, particularly the ones who worked near my station, were pretty friendly and invited me to join them for lunch a couple of times, but otherwise my desk was in a corner of the engineering department (all men) and I didn't get to be "one of the girls" as much as I would have liked.

My actual job was pretty boring as a lot of the staff were on vacation (it was summer) and my department didn't have all that much going on anyway.

My boss told me that things were pretty slow, but that anything I could do to look busy would be appreciated, particularly if his boss or another higher-up wandered by, so I worked out a little personal strategy for myself.

I had a typewriter (yes, it was in "those days!") and a stand that was to hold the notes or whatever that you were typing. So I set up a file folder in the stand, placed a book behind it and read the book by typing it. Yep, I actually just kept typing as I read, I figured it was great typing practice anyway (particularly since the typewriter was an IBM Executive, the one with proportionally spaced type).

I guess I did a good job at whatever real work there was, and in looking busy, because for quite a while afterward they kept requesting me by name.

One day I got a call from my spouse. A friend of hers had decided that we were all getting together for dinner and that she was riding home with my spouse. They were ready to leave and I was still across town at work!

I told her to stall and that I would figure out how to leave early and head for home. I didn't know what to do, so I did a really low bit. I put a sort of pained expression on, kinda kept one hand casually, but obviously, in the general area of my lower abdomen and told my boss that I was feeling a bit ill.

I'm sure he figured I was having my period and cramps, although I never said so, and there isn't a man (at least no man I can imagine) who is going to get between a woman and her period, so he practically insisted that I go home.

If I'd had a woman boss, she probably would have given me a "put on your big girl panties" sort of look and asked me if I'd finished the Johnson report.

Anyway, my spouse insisted that they stop off on the way home because I needed a new tea pot (she got me a really cute frog shaped one that I still treasure). I raced to my car and drove home like a mad woman, and made it into the bathroom with a change of guy clothes before they pulled up and parked.

Those are a few of my favorite memories!

Hugs,
Persephone.

By the way, I did get a tax form for my income from the job in my femme name. When I handed it to my accountant along with the others he said "That's weird, they have a woman's name on here but your social security number."

I said, "They must have screwed up. But it is my income."

So he just declared it and sent it in with the other forms and that was the end of that.

Kate Simmons
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
As far as I know, unless you legally change your name, you have to go by what name is on your SS card.:)

michelle64
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
be honest no need to hide the fact...what kind of job are you thinking for secondary income?..i dunno it all sounds great put pitfalls abound..personally i would be honest but see no reason to disclose anything other than your legal name..i once was offered a job at a major womens clothing store..manager did not care if i even came in dressed as michelle as long as i showed up for work..i turned it down..retail jobs are terrible work hours with bitchy customers..i did not need the headache or stress..plus its a lot work being a female every day..we guys really do have it much easier...

JustAlex
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Probably not what you want to hear and not a popular opinion around here but...
If you really really really need the job, play safe.

Melissa Rose
05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
You will have to provide your legal name and identification to prove it once a position is offered.

The job market is so tight these days unless you are a perfect match for a job, there are no other qualified candidates, and the employer feels there will be no negative fallout from employing a transgendered individual, most employers will not hire you if you disclose your desire to present as a woman during the interview process. They will avoid the potential headache if possible. There will be exceptions and it depends on the type of job, but you will not know until after you are offered a job. You can research or ask about a potential employer's transgender policies. Also realize that cross dressing and transitioning are not the exact same thing and may be viewed differently by some.

While en femme, I have done volunteer work with a large amount of public exposure and interaction with others without any problems; however, it is not quite the same as being employed.