PDA

View Full Version : How I came out to my SO and the life of a liar

Danni Renee
05-17-2011, 07:26 AM
I decided today to share my story of how I came out to my SO. I am not sure there will be any lessons to learn from my experience but I hope it might help others understand another perspective.

Now a couple of things you should know about me and my SO at the beginning. Even though we have been dating for almost two years, we have a history before that. We were high school sweethearts and we were each other’s “first”. We were engaged to be married but fate had other plans. Later in life we both went through a rough lonely period about the same time and we went looking for each other. We reconnected through Classmates and we both knew the moment we saw each other that we were getting back together.

I HAD NO PLAN TO EVER COME OUT TO MY SO. I was not a member of the forum and was still in denial about myself. My SO is a devout Catholic and I was certain if she ever found out that I dressed our relationship would end. I had no plan, or scheme, or even an idea that I would tell her when we started our discussion that day – it just sort of happened.

All through the time we dated in high school, I was dressing. Not often as my work and school schedule did not permit it but I did dress when I could. I continued to dress when I got married to another woman but again I kept it hidden. Before I moved to Korea I started dressing more and more but even then it was only twice a month.

Coming to Korea alone, I had my first opportunity to truly be myself. I started off slow with my old clothes and wigs but within two months I had gone completely crazy. I was buying clothes and makeup and everything. I could only wear it a few hours on the weekends because most of my time was spent on video chat with my SO or my kids and I felt I could never let them know. I would clean up before I got on chat with them and except for one time I did not get my mascara off good enough, they were none the wiser.

Then came December. I was planning on traveling back to the States over Christmas and there was a lot of tension between me and my SO about my plans. I cannot remember what exactly I said to her but she came back with this statement: “Why do you always lie to me.” And I told her: “I lie because that is what I do. I lie all the time. I lie to you, I lie to my kids, I lie to my family, and I lie to myself. I live a lie and if I have a choice between telling a lie and telling the truth I will lie first.”
Well, you can imagine how that went over! My SO is not a “hot head” so there was not really a fight. But my SO is inquisitive when she doesn’t understand something and like a shark smelling blood in the water she came at me full throttle. My SO is truly a special woman, but if the Spanish Inquisition ever occurred again, she would hands down win the job of Grand Inquisitor. She can ask the same question a thousand different ways and if you do not answer the same way every time, you are in for it. So slowly and (for me) painfully the next 8 hours were spent with her dragging everything out of me.

I did not tell her up front that I dressed. Her questions focused on why I lie to everyone and what lie specifically I told her. But as time went by she finally wore me down and I confessed it all. I lied to her and everyone because I am not who I want to be. I lie to everyone because I do not want to be who I am; I want to be a female. I want to be a woman, I want to be pregnant, and I want to be a mother. I want long hair and to wear dresses and skirts every day. I told her I have only had one wish for every birthday, every wishing star, and every wishing well: I wished I was a woman.

I was terrified but she took it much better than I did telling her. Her response: “Is that it? You are going to have to do better than that if you want me to leave you.” She thought I was making it up to try to get her to break up with me. I told her for the first time in my life I had told the complete truth. She still doubted me until I started bringing my wardrobe out. Dress after dress, skirt after skirt, and wig after wig I brought out for her “inspection” and she finally realized that for once I was not telling a lie – I really had told her the whole truth. She also instantly connected the dots with the mascara incident.

I tell this story not just to relate how I came out, but to talk about CD and TG individuals lying to their SO. I have read numerous posts from GGs discussing how they could deal with the dressing, but what they could not handle was being lied to and the violation of trust it caused. Although I agree that the violation of trust is a significant issue, I am not sure that we CD and TG individuals even know that we are lying.

I lied to my SO since high school. I lied to myself even longer than that. I did not think at the time that I was lying. I felt I was repressing something that was wrong with me. I did not understand myself. The more time went by I began to question myself more and began to understand myself better. And during that same period, the persona I was outwardly displaying slowly became a lie. It did not happen all at once – it was only analyzing (with the help of my SO’s inquisition) that I truly realized I was lying my whole life.

As I have finally researched and read about being a CD or TG it seems like one of the things we all have in common is not being truthful; not with ourselves and not with others. Through time and observation I became conditioned to not being truthful. When you live a life of lying day after day after day, at some point it becomes your natural way of thinking and permeates everything you do. And I think all CD and TG individuals lie to themselves every day and by extension lie to those around them. I know in the morning the first thing I think about is what do I want to wear today. The answer is not an ugly drab uniform or dress slacks and a tie but that is how we dress and so every day begins with a lie.

I do not believe the dishonesty is a conscious decision. I have read comments from a few GGs and the impression I get is that they feel they were deliberately lied to and I do not necessarily believe that is the case. I think we are so dishonest with ourselves that it automatically extends to our entire life and then once we realize it there is no turning back. Sometimes the lies continue even after we have came out to our SO but again I am not sure that it is deliberate so much as it is how we have conditioned ourselves and we have not made the transition to being as truthful as we should be.

It is hard telling the truth when you live your life as one big lie. My SO told me she accepted me and in return I told her I would not lie to her again. It has been very hard sometimes to tell the truth but she has made it easier by accepting me and loving me for who I am – allowing me to be truthful without fear of ramification. It is still hard for me to tell the truth; technically I still live a lie since I am not who I outwardly portray myself to be. But I am finally honest with one person and her understanding and acceptance is helping undo the years of conditioning I put myself through.

I can only speak for myself and I am not trying to make an excuse for my years of dishonesty nor absolve myself from the guilt of lying. I am not looking to provide excuses for others actions. What I hope I am illuminating is how I (and by extension others) came about living dishonestly in the hope others may better understand the situations we are faced with and open the doors for communication.

sometimes_miss
05-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure what else you 'lied' about. If she had asked you directly if you crossdressed and you said nothing, then that would be a lie. I think what you're referring to is more of what some people call a 'lie of omission', not telling someone something that they later determine you should have told them. But more to the point, everyone lies, or omits telling other people something about themselves. Whether it is a big deal is really determined by the person you are telling, or in this case not telling, a fact to. If you simply didn't tell someone something, it technically is not a lie. It IS deceitful, but it is not a lie. After all, my ex didn't tell me she was a felony committing, passive aggressive, neurotic person either. But of course, she though that was perfectly o.k.. You can go to extremes and say that anything that alters a person's image from what is 'natural' is deceitful (that would include any hair style changes such as if hair is naturally straight and they curl it, hair coloring, make up, 'foundation' garments that alter a person's figure, high heels, etc.).
Don't beat yourself up over it. pm sent.

RachR
05-17-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't really have anything to add, but I felt the need to say thank you for sharing your story and your perspective.

-Rachael

Daphne Renee
05-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Danni try not to beat yourself up over this. You did what you thought was best at the time. They say hindsight is 20/20. I think most people wish they would have done something different at some point in their life. Maybe if you had said things in the beginning life as you know it right now could be completely different. People generally only share what they want to. This includes people who arent CDers. You can only do something about today. You cant get yesterday back and their is no promise of tomorrow. I might not know the answers but I generally consider myself a good listener. If you ever need to talk feel free to send me a PM.

Noortje
05-17-2011, 09:23 AM
This is a big part of what we all go through, and you have written it down very well. Thank you!

For me personally, it was the fact that I could no longer stand the lying to my girlfriend that allowed me to stop lying to myself.

Mary Morgan
05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Danni, thank you for sharing your story, it is for many of us our story as well. The lying is a natural result of our insecurity with who we are, our desire to please and to be accepted, to by a part of the whole. It is not done out of malice or the intend to deceive, it is rather to protect, ourselves, our families and our friends. I am not suggesting it is a good thing or desirable, but it is not the evil that some might paint it to be. And you are tight, the conditioning is life long and hard to overcome, hard to even recognize sometimes. In the end, none of us want this. The older I get, the less I see the need for this cover, the less I understand why I ever used the cover of secrecy.

Annaliese
05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Thank you for sharing, there are times I am great full to this site for what I learn from others and what I learn about my self. This is one of those times.
Thank you and hugs

Persephone
05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow! That is easily one of the most powerful posts this year!

I'm sorry that you have had to go through the experiences that you described but I am very glad that you posted what you did. I'm sure that it will help others.

I don't know what else you may feel that you have lied about, but I do agree with several of the other comments in that what we often do as crossdressers is an attempt at "hiding" rather than "lying," but the results really aren't very different. Lying and hiding change everything about how we perceive ourselves and how we relate to others. The result is that we can never really be open, never really share ourselves, so we hide another thing as well -- we hide our pain.

It sounds like you have a truly loving and accepting SO and maybe you can finally open those locked doors.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
05-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Danni Renee;
You hit the head on the nail. We are so ingrained with the fact that society does not accept us, that we hide by omission or lying. When I was growing up, (time to carbon date myself) boys were suppose to act like men and be tough and never cry. If you even had an incling that you love the feel female clthes or even tried some on, between society and the Catholic Church ( my mom was old school Catholic in some things) you were doomed to HEEL or worse. You were a disgrace to your family. I hid my cross-dressing until my one girlfriend started dressing me in her clothes when I was 16 - 17. After that I hid until I got married. I told my first ex what Cathy & I did and ended up having it used against me, Physical & emotional abuse, and during the divorce ( children invovled). After a couple of years I became engaged and my ex told her everything including adding details that never happened. My second wife then proceded to get into heavy forced Feminization and BD/SM. I was taught that you do whatever is needed to keep the marriage going and never hit a woman. I finally had had it and we devorced. She even put my name in the obits just to upset my family and made sure she told everyone in my family and friends about my crossdressing.

I swore I'd keep that part of me hidden and would do anything I could to not be so vunerable. That included lying by omission straight out and out & out denying it to my new SO when she found some of my female clothes. I immediately went in defense mode when she accused me of either being Bi or Gay. It had become a knee jerk (enfasis on Jerk) to deny my crossdressing. I couldn't deal with more pain and humiliation.

It was dropped and never brought up. I even hid some of the clothes just in case I desired to continue. I've been being treated for PTSD (Vietnam and Exs) and it came out to where my couselor helped me explain to my SO that I crossdress. She said it was no surprise because of my knowledge of womens clothes and what goes with what. She now offiially knows that I crossdress but can understand it and doesn't want to see it. I respect her boundaries. She thinks I'm even more border-line Bi or Gay, but she still is with me and loves me.

What I'm trying to say is it is society that forces us to lie in the begging because of their moral boundaries. People forget that the male in animal kingdom is with the most colorful exterior; Men were the first to wear makeup (Babylon and Egypt); Me were the first to wear corsets because the jarring from riding horses; Men were the first to wear heels and ruffles (French kings), and in the beginning men wore kilts and dresses (Scottsman and royalty. It is a wonder how we came about our skewed moral high ground.

I guess what I'm saying is that unless from the very beginning we are accepted as crossdressers/TGs, we are environmentally taught to lie. It is self-preservation that becomes a habit. It is hard to break that habit, but with someone who accepts you as you are, it can be done.

Sorry about my rambling on but I felt I had something to contribute to this conversation.

Always remember;
If you wake up in the morning; see a sunrise; your name is not in the obits (again long story); you see a sunset; Then its a good day. All the rest is just B.S.

Speck
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Danni Renee,

Hi. GG here. Just wanted to say that I understand. I don't care if you call it lying or being deceitful. I think what you're saying is that you had (and still have to those other than your SO) reasons for lying/hiding/misrepresenting. And I don't think that you're being hard on yourself. I think that you know your reasons, things have worked out well for you and you're just trying to provide some insight. I believe posts like this help GGs understand.

Thank you,

Megan70
05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

But tell us, have you dressed up for her/ Has she seen you or assisted?
The world has to know!

Megan

Deana ♥ Danni
05-18-2011, 07:33 PM
The world has to know!

Hi Megan,

I hope I am not stepping on any toes by answering, but YES Danni has dressed for me :D Only once where we were together in person, the rest of the time is over web chats :) I l♥ve getting to see her dressed! I l♥ve helping her, shopping for/with her! But I do believe my favorite thing is getting to make earrings for her :D That probably sounds cheesy, but I really do love it!!! Oh and I did get her some perfume and send it to her too :) I love being able to send her "pretties" as I call them. The one time she was able to dress for me in the flesh I helped her with her hair, and that was awesome too :D I can't wait until I get to help her everyday!!

~Deana

Danni Renee
05-18-2011, 10:01 PM
The world has to know!

Megan

As Deana stated, yes she has seen me dressed for her. Only once in the flesh, but almost daily now over video. She has helped me with my hair and makeup and tips on how to walk - a while spectrum of things. It was really fun doing the makeup with her. She sent me the same type of makeup she uses and then supervised me as I applied it. I feel I have gotten so much better with her help.