PDA

View Full Version : Delicate question about race

Tammietoo
05-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Its with some trepidation that I'm posting this at all but I am curious to hear what you all think, and let me preface this by saying that I am not discounting my own heritage or mocking any other. I recently bought several saris, and being draped in 18 feet of silk is simply an experience unlike any other I've had while dressed. It is a quintessentially feminine garment. And while I looked okay with my normal hair and make-up, it didn't look quite right and I went out and bought a black wig and much darker foundation.

The next time I dressed, I was completely transformed. It was a very interesting moment when I saw myself in the mirror looking very much like an Indian woman, it brought out some strange emotions. I only say that imitation is the most sincere type of flattery. I have to say that I really liked the image that I saw staring back at me. It was so unlike my normal self-image it was kind of a shock to the system (in a good way) I don't have the desire to to this everytime I dress, and certainly didn't do it to offend anyone of any ethic culture. I guess my question is has anyone else done anything similar or would you if you had the chance? I took some pics but am reluctant to post them.

Kate Simmons
05-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Sometimes the connection we feel with an entirely different appearance is no coincidence. We may have a connection due to the fact that we are really multidimensional beings having multiple experiences at the same time.:)

Barbara Dugan
05-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree that imitation is the most sincere type of flattery specially when is done with respect and honesty..I always wanted to wear a sari myself and I am planing on do it on the near future.

Nikki A.
05-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did. A Sari is a traditional Indian dresss and most Indian woman are darker skinned and black haired. It was not done to mock anyone, you just wanted to try to do your best to look the part.

NicoleScott
05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I'd call that cultural, not racial. Wearing darker foundation and wig made the look more "authentic". Many blacks, hispanics, and asians make their hair blonde. Same thing. Racial doesn't mean racist.

Kelly DeWinter
05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't see a question of race here. How you present is a matter of personal choice. Cultural differences based on genetics,location and local customs have been around since the dawn of mankind. No matter where we go given time there will be differences. How you honor the race and culture you portray is far more important in my opinion. As long as you don't degrade or dishonor a particular race or custom, I say have fun :)

sandra-leigh
05-23-2011, 06:03 PM
How you honor the race and culture you portray is far more important in my opinion. As long as you don't degrade or dishonor a particular race or custom, I say have fun :)

One of the blurbs mentioned in the recent Canadian election is that apparently the (ruling) Conservative party deliberately went after the [Asian] Indian vote on the grounds (it was said) that Indian culture tends to be more conservative on issues such as abortion and gay rights. As gay rights are already relatively well secured in Canadian law (e.g., the Supreme Court "read in" sexual orientation as part of the Canada Charter of Rights and Freedoms anti-discrimination clause; marriage and divorce and "common law" laws apply to gay couples equally), it was obvious to anyone with a background in the situation that what the Conservatives were really after there was enough support to trash the law for equality rights for transgender persons -- a law that already passed Parliament but which the Conservatives have vowed to kill in the Senate.

What I am leading to here is that you need to be careful, in that {detectably} cross-dressing as an Indian woman, no matter how "tastefully", could potentially be interpreted as "dishonouring" Indian culture. Yes, I am aware that there is the "third gender" in parts of India, but don't be quick to glamorize those people: about the only jobs those people are legally allowed to hold is prostitution, dancing at weddings, and begging. Not even as much status as the Untouchables.

NicoleScott
05-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Sandra-Leigh, so a party is going after the vote of like-thinking people. Liberals do it, too. That's politics.

Many Indians dress in western style clothes. Blue jeans are hardly traditional Indian dress. We're not offended. This supersensitivity over offending someone with one-sided standards has gone too far. OK, be cautious in India. But in Colorado?

Tammietoo
05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi there, I appreciate the words of caution and the political TG climate in Canada, I'm not trying to be a third gender or romanticize the Hijra, I'm just trying to look as authentic as I can with respect in the comfort and privacy of my living room.

One of the blurbs mentioned in the recent Canadian election is that apparently the (ruling) Conservative party deliberately went after the [Asian] Indian vote on the grounds (it was said) that Indian culture tends to be more conservative on issues such as abortion and gay rights. As gay rights are already relatively well secured in Canadian law (e.g., the Supreme Court "read in" sexual orientation as part of the Canada Charter of Rights and Freedoms anti-discrimination clause; marriage and divorce and "common law" laws apply to gay couples equally), it was obvious to anyone with a background in the situation that what the Conservatives were really after there was enough support to trash the law for equality rights for transgender persons -- a law that already passed Parliament but which the Conservatives have vowed to kill in the Senate.

What I am leading to here is that you need to be careful, in that {detectably} cross-dressing as an Indian woman, no matter how "tastefully", could potentially be interpreted as "dishonouring" Indian culture. Yes, I am aware that there is the "third gender" in parts of India, but don't be quick to glamorize those people: about the only jobs those people are legally allowed to hold is prostitution, dancing at weddings, and begging. Not even as much status as the Untouchables.