PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream by the rules

Lainie
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I volunteered to do simple clerical work at the American Association of Museums national convention this week in Houston--handing out badges & tote bags to those who have pre-registered. The dress code for volunteers is "the conference T-shirt and khaki pants or skirt". Saturday I wore dockers, but today my wife left the house before I did, so I thought, "hey, I could just follow the rules and wear my Ralph Lauren khaki skirt." So I changed into skirt & T-shirt; wearing handlebar mustache, shaved legs, and comfortable shoes, and drove into town, taking along a pair of khaki-colored women's slacks as an emergency back-up. Left early because parking might be scarce, but had no trouble. Time to sit in the park across from the convention center before my late-afternoon shift, listening to a jazz band. Lots of people enjoying the park and the warm weather. On the way into the volunteer office, one of the other volunteers laughed and said, "Well, you took them seriously about pants or skirt". Then I ran into a guy I know from the local photography gallery, who was on the way to his volunteer station. He had not previously seen me en femme, but just grinned & said hello. In the office they reimbursed my parking cost and offered me lunch & coffee. Supervisor didn't bat an eye. Then I went down to the badge & bag distribution and sat in. A couple of other girls came in for the last shift, and the previous shift left. Traffic was light--most people had come in earlier. I just did the work like before, no problems. Everyone was very appreciative.

So I'm outed to a lot more strangers, and one guy I see pretty regularly. Some other local photo curators have already seen me en femme, when I was volunteering at other events. I haven't been quite this brazen before, just wore slacks & a mix of male & female attire. I guess civilized people really don't care that much about what a guy wears.

AllieSF
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
That is so cool. Way to go and I love the way that everyone reacted. Forging new ground by just being you. Thanks for sharing.

Pythos
05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Very cool. That is very encouraging.

PretzelGirl
05-23-2011, 10:38 PM
And you thought you needed the backup slacks. :D I imagine that it is getting pretty warm there these days, so you just did the most practical thing. Good for them for it being a non-issue!

Inari
05-23-2011, 10:42 PM
You are awesome. I'm totally going to grow a beard and go out in a skirt.

Cynthia Anne
05-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Great story! It's nice to be yourself and be respected at the same time! Hugs!