PDA

View Full Version : Not what i expected

Laura'sCloud
05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I was in work today in the office when one of my colleagues came in from seeing a client regarding a issue they had.

They came back into the office and was explaining what happened to another worker they said that they had helped and sorted the issue out, my coworker then said that the client had said he was grateful and that the issue had affected him alot because he was a women trapped in a mans body. The client apparently said this in a feminine way, very emotionally.

What then shocked me was how most of my colleagues laughed at this. Not what i expected from them. I just smiled and walked to another room.

Has a similar event happened to anyone else and what did you do?

BillieJoEllen
05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Somewhat similar. Years ago while working in a factory a TS truckdriver came in looking for the office. A number of people had seen her before and started laying into her about her 'condition'. I was stuck to my spot as I didn't want to go and defend her out of fear for myself being found out also. Its a decision I regret greatly to this day.

suzy1
05-24-2011, 01:13 PM
It is what I would have expected.
As we go through life we must all have come across comments ridiculing crossdressers.
In my case I just say nothing. Call me a coward if you like. I don’t mind.
They are ignorant of the subject and brainwashed by the media so what can we expect.

SUZY

Karren H
05-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah! Most coworkers are insensitive to that. I was on a trip when one of the old guys started explaining when two miners at one of our mines had sex changes. A m2f and a f2m.. I was actually laughing along because some of what happened was truly hilarious. But the real funny part was I had 2 suit cases full of my fem things out in the old guys car! Lol. I didn't laugh at the individuals more at the coworkers reactions.

KarenCDFL
05-24-2011, 01:23 PM
The only thing to do with ignorance to to educate. The problem is in a lot of cases the education is a waste of time.

<sigh>

ColleenCD
05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
But the real funny part was I had 2 suit cases full of my fem things out in the old guys car! Lol. I didn't laugh at the individuals more at the coworkers reactions. _ Karren Hutton

Karren, LOL!!! That's too rich.

Colleen

joank
05-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I have been around those type of comments many times. I chalk it up to the fact that I have not been read and the people making the comment feel safe with the humor or comment in that audience. I just go with the flow (cowards way out?).

billie earls
05-24-2011, 02:43 PM
I understand why we don't say anything to those who choose to make fun or ugly comments about others. I think that is a problem and one that we should collectively decide to do, is to stand up and defend those who cannot defend themselves. This doesn't mean that we out ourselves but should not let the general public get away with. To put it another way say they were making remarks because someone was black or hispanic or jewish, we don't have to be black or hispanic or jewish to defend them, so why not defend a crossdresser.

Stephanie47
05-24-2011, 02:45 PM
None of the reactions of hatred or bigotry or intolerance surprise me. I have friends, who assume due to the longevity of our relationship that I ( and my wife) have similar views. I find too many people are two faced. There is the public view and the private view. I've found many still hold totally intolerant viewpoints towards anybody that is not in their immediate peer group. I've seen them anti-minority group (any color or race or ethnic group), anti any other than straight married couples, anti-gay, anti-lesbian, anti cross dressers. What also distressing is the number of people in these hated groups that believe these anti beliefs are gone from society.

I thought as a white male that I was immune to discriminating beliefs until my supervisor, who I knew for thirty years, said she would not hire a veteran because they were unbalanced. And this was a federal executive agency.

I just keep my cross dressing life to myself, thank you!

Vickie_CDTV
05-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Maybe the client said it in jest? If they were doing support in an office I assume it was some sort of I.T. problem? I wonder why an I.T. problem would make the client more emotional being a TS?

Rianna Humble
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
we don't have to be black or hispanic or jewish to defend them, so why not defend a crossdresser.

I agree with Billie! Those who condone transphobia for fear of outing themselves are hiding behind excuses. I have never been coloured, but neither have I ever allowed people I work with to make racist remarks about coloured people.

Two days ago, a colleague at work was mocking one of his clients for asking a naive question about the optical drive on hs PC. So I asked the colleague how he had known the answer to that question without ever being told and whether he could have given the answer the very first time he encountered an optical drive. The client being mocked was in his 80s, I didn't have to be in my 80s to defend him and no-one at work would accuse me of not understanding PCs since my job is to support them.

kendra_gurl
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I agree we should make an attempt to defend others if we can do so without outting ourselves in the process. This is a perfect example for all of us who do venture out into public and receive no negative comments at the time. Just because strangers are polite to our face does not mean that People will still not talk negatively about them seeing us to others later.

sometimes_miss
05-24-2011, 05:13 PM
I've seen it many times, where someone either gay, TS, or caught CD'ing is exposed for what they are; co-workers are usually displaying what I refer to as nervous laughter, I think not wanting to have to deal with the issue. As I've gotten older, I have started to defend people from the ignorance, but I don't suppose I'm going to change anyone's mind on the subject. The best I can hope to do it increase the tolerance rate. After all, all I'm asking for is the right to be left alone.

Cynthia Anne
05-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I have always defended the 'underdog' (I hate that word)! Many times at my own expense! I will continue doing so, no matter the cost! It's the RIGHT thing to do and I take a lot of pride in it! Hugs!

pantyhoselover
05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
I suspect many of us have friends that are tolerant and friends that are intolerant. I've often wondered if it's worth maintaining a friendship with someone who's intolerant. We often have to interact with these intolerant "friends" because we work with them, etc. I try to see the good side in people, and there is always hope that the intolerant ones will change. And we can in our own way "help" our intolerant friends, co-workers, etc.