PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else practice the less is more concept?

Lizeth
05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Let me just start by saying I'm not knocking anyone else's style, if you got it, flaunt it! I just don't particularly think I have it, so for moi, discretion is the better part of Valor. I can relate to the driving urge to just be submerged in as much 'Girl' as humanly possible, but for me I don't think it flies 90% of the time. So unless it's a special occasion (I.E, going out, a party, the Renn Faire, places where you can let it hang out more) I usually do my girling tuned way down. For example, I have good sized hands, so I don't do Jewelry or my nails because I feel they draw the eye. Where most people choose contacts, I prefer glasses because they conceal the concave male nose-bridge-to-brow dip. (That isn't saying some GG's don't have the a masculine nose, but there are exceptions to every rule). It also reduces the amount of makeup one wears because eyeshadow+mascara+glasses=busy eyes, I find. Even my favorite wig is a short bob, which is ironically shorter than my real hair I have under it. Seeing I'm nearly 6'1" (And thankfully there are a LOT of tall women out here in Kansas, evidently they grow them tall to see over the corn or something), I almost always wear the flattest shoes I can find (Oh, Chuck Taylor, how we love you and your rainbow of colors and asexual nature). Some nice jeans and T-shirt, potentially even with a silly saying and I'm good (Figure if they're looking at the batgirl logo ontop of the C's they're not looking at anything else too closely). I guess the long and short of it is I feel I pass better by trying to look like a 'girl' rather than 'GIRL!!!' Anyone else feel this way? :D

Chloe Renee
05-24-2011, 04:33 PM
In a word yes.
I have tons of jeans girl tanks and tees. Vs two skirts and zero dresses( great, now I'm going to be thrown out of the club..) Thankfully, my height is on the high side average. I too have three different colours of Chuck Taylor's, and other athletic shoes.

Lately,I am starting to live at the local yoga studio, so I am gaining a nice collection of yoga wear. Right now I'm keeping it androgynous, I'm not out yet there, close but not yet.
Due to my body shape, size and muscle tone. I know that I will most likely never look like a cheerleader so my goal is to look like that girl on the soft ball team in HS a couple years removed. Not the girliest, but a woman without a doubt.
Both my wife and roommate thin I look better/more natural when I don't try and be a pretty, pretty princess..

kimdl93
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't try to pass per se (in public) and if I ever could blend in, that would be cool. My guess is that to do so would depend on being discrete in selection of attire and make up. My wife is my barometer for what's appropriate at home. I don't wear anything dressier than she would under the same circumstances....

I like the distinction "girl" vs 'GIRL"

Elsa Larson
05-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I try to use less hair, makeup, breast padding, cleavage, exposed leg and MORE hip/butt padding. Friends describe the result as matronly. Maybe not sexy but I think I blend in, even at 6'1".

Wendy W
05-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, sometimes less is better. Dressed out last week, was with a skirt suit, flats, slight makup and wig. Nothing different from a GG wearing to work in a business office. Food shopping at the local supermarket at prime time had NO reactions from anyone (customers or cashiers). Not bad for a 5'10" asian C/D.

WW

Cynthia Anne
05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree that too much can sometimes make you look out of place! But what can I say, sometimes I Look out of place! Sometimes!

Karren H
05-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Ahhhh... No! Mo is better!! More makeup! More jewelry. More clothes!!! :)

Stephenie S
05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Ahhhh... No! Mo is better!! More makeup! More jewelry. More clothes!!! :)

Oh, Karren!

You make me feel faint! Be still my heart

sissystephanie
05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
What I do is dress the way I feel like dressing!! I am not trying to please a crowd, or anybody else. I dress only to please myself, so it may be more or it may be less!! What ever makes ME happy!!

PretzelGirl
05-24-2011, 09:51 PM
You could call what I do less is more. I look at it more of a blending approach. I want to dress, have the hairstyle, and wear the make-up that is appropriate for where I am going, for my age, and for my body type. I have never been one to like to stick out (and then you ask why I go out :D) so I want everything to be appropriate for the time and place.

Karren H
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh, Karren!

You make me feel faint! Be still my heart

The less I wear the more I look like a guy. Mater of fact the less women wear the more they look like guys. The blue jean effect! Lol. Levi wanted everyone to look the same apparently.

Tina B.
05-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree with every thing Karren said, except the part about jeans and Hockey, not sure she is right about those two things!
Tina B.

Go sharks!!!