PDA

View Full Version : Cycling dressed

Nina
05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm looking at writing an article for a future Repartee about TV's that have cycled dressed and need your help. So if any of you girls have done this and even have good photos on your push-bikes send me a memo and I'll see if I can get your pics in the magazine.

Julie Denier
05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
This sounds perfect for skirtsuit ...

Nina
05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I guess there's no cyclist on this forum or no one wants to be in the magazine?

kathrynt21
05-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Nina-
I cycle everyday. Never dressed, but it is a GREAT reason to keep my legs shaved!

Karren H
05-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't consider that I do "cycling". More like a leisurely bike ride on the rails to trails paths.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/2432742808_ce38d66c03_z.jpg

NathalieX66
05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
The serious cyclists on the road I see look so gender ambiguous that I often have time figuring out exactly what gender they are. Road bikes, not mountain bikes I'm talking about. we have packs of them here in the east coast USA with those billboard jerseys & unisuits.
I guess that would work in your favor.

Chloe Renee
05-27-2011, 04:32 PM
I do ride all the time and have a 50/50 split between gender while doing so. I see no difference in either gender other than I get more waves while riding hipster chick (A la Fixie).

JamieTG
05-27-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm a serious cyclist and I shudder to think of what all that sweat would do to my wig, makeup, and breastforms. I'd look like a mess afterward.

eliot
05-28-2011, 09:24 AM
I am a serious cyclist, averaging about 100 miles a week. I used to run until my knees gave out. I find cycling a great, low impact way to stay in shape. Once in a while I will wear my smaller breast forms and a sports bra under my jersey but like Jamie TG hate to think what make up and a wig would look like after a long ride!

StarrOfDelite
05-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Padded Spandex shorts (or Singlets or full bodysuits) are a necessity for serious cycling irrespective of gender, and with a helmet and eye protection there isn't a whole lot of distinction between men and women on the road except that women and CD's can wear sports bra's instead of Tees. I like that, because I enjoy being androgynous. I'm just under six feet tall, women's bikes are too small for me, and I ride a white aluminum frame Trek 1 Series.

I don't ride in the City, even tho many of the avenues have bike lanes, but like to do 25-30 mile trips when I'm home in western PA. I probably go male presentation 3-4 times as much as female when I ride. En femme I don't wear a wig, just clip-on a ponytail fall that fans out under my helmet and trails behind, and my own hair is long enough on the sides to look ambiguous. I wouldn't consider wearing a wig because in addition to the heat and sweat, the helmet is hard to fit over a wig while still retaining it's safety function, too. I wind up with what I hope is a very androgynous presentation, which is the style I like best anyway. As other posters have noted, it's hard to tell gender when most cycling-people shave their legs and arms anyway. Facial hair is the only obvious differential factor, since the clasp on the helmet even tends to obscure Adam's apples. Like any other place, if a person looks closely enough the masculine truth will be apparent, I'm sure. I am an earring addict, and often wear big flashy pendants in the hope they help to sell my feminine presentation to the casual observer who sees me going by at 20 mph.

Re: Makeup. Not much more than lipstick and a good close shave are necessary when you consider the helmet and the eye protection. At speed the drying effect of the wind tends to cancel out the sweating issue for the face.

I just got a pair of spandex scarlet riding shorts, about mid-thigh length, and am trying to color-match a Sports bra and helmet and shoes. Hopefully will be able to fwd a pic for you. When is your deadline?

Crysten
05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
The serious cyclists on the road I see look so gender ambiguous that I often have time figuring out exactly what gender they are. Road bikes, not mountain bikes I'm talking about. we have packs of them here in the east coast USA with those billboard jerseys & unisuits.

Hint: Many women have breasts. Just tossing it out there.

Sam-antha
05-29-2011, 01:47 PM

No matter what members might think, Lycra and standard tops do produce gender non-apparent riders. Hair can make a difference and shorts tend to be short for female riders. Unless one is wearing a vest type top and is cleavage upholstered, breasts do not show. Not on a road bike anyway.
Who wears make up on a fifty mile road trip ?

~Samm

Chloe Renee
05-29-2011, 02:09 PM
i agree with the post above, unles you are wearing a jersey that is to tight it is hard to notice a breast profile. When it comes to makeup while riding I only wear a tinted moisturizer that has a 50spf sunblock in it. after about 30 miles i stop and reapply.both body and face sunblock.

skirtsuit
05-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I love cycling en femme. A dress, heels and hose is my favorite cycling outfit. I have a girl 3-speed just for biking in a dress.

Best,
SS

Here I am a the top of the Ben Franklin bridge, posing with my trusty steed after a long pedal to the top. It's difficult to remain lady-like while huffing up a long hill seated in 1st gear. Coasting back down is AMAZING. That's what the dress is for!

Chickhe
05-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I have done it wearing female spendex and cycling jersey. My hips need padding to mimick the female form and I use breast forms. This gives me a very feminine body shape since I'm in my ideal weight range. For the hair, I find a cheap costume wig works the best under a helmet. I wear makeup because for starters I need to cover my beard and it does give you a polished look. It is a fun experience and at first pretty scary wearing what the woman wear because it is so revealing.

samanthaoaklandcd
05-29-2011, 11:15 PM
What is a ¨push'bike¨?

StarrOfDelite
05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
What is a ¨push'bike¨?

it's a british expression for a bike that has pedals that you push with your feet, as opposed to one which has a motor to make the wheels go round and round.

if you get a flat tire without a repair kit on board, they are all push bikes.

Loni
05-30-2011, 02:30 PM
i need to get back on my bikes, but when in all the gear. other than longer hair (some times) and bumps and the cut of the clothing there is not much difference. unless one stops and starts talking to someone.

but as for me i am a Clydesdale dale and a huffer and a puffer for the hills. and i will decline the invite for now at least.

Loni

insearchofme
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Had a great 20 miler this morning, however I'd never ride while dressed, I sweat like a mad dog. I came in today and had to cool down for an hour before I could even shower. I hope everyone wears a helmet. I had an accident a couple of years ago and if I wasn't wearing one I'd be dead. Please stay safe while riding.

celeste26
05-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I am a committed recumbent bike fan and would not consider buying another diamond frame ever again. The "bent" frames allow one to actually see the landscaping and what's around you instead of a long stream of asphalt passing under the frame. They should be the first choice of all "ladies." No sore butts, no sore hands and they are faster without a doubt.

SheriM
05-31-2011, 09:09 AM
I have ridden my bike while wearing a short sport skirt with attached panties (swim suit bikini bottom). I believe the skirt was meant to be a beach cover up. Anyway the skirt could almost be mistaken for a long black shirt. I also wore black leggings as it was in the Fall.

larry07
05-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Most of my cycling is utilitarian, around town. To the grocery store, to church, to the library, etc. I am almost always in male or androgynous street clothes but often underdressed. I love to feel my silicone forms bouncing in my bra and my garter straps stretching and tugging on my stockings with each pedal stroke.

Sedona
05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
No pix here either, but I've cycled while "dressed," on occasion (forms, wig, hip padding) and yes, the wind keeps light makeup dried during all but the most humid/hot days. It's a wonderful feeling, as this is the only time I ever go out dressed. Up close, I don't can't pull off GG at all, but after years of riding a bike, I realized it's hard to really get a look at someone whizzing by at 15-20 mph. If I can't get a good look, neither can anybody else.

If I'm not riding en femme, I usually wear ladies shorts at the least. As long as they're not too short cut, and not pink or anything, they look similar to guys' shorts.

junetv
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I've cycled while dressed, but my mountain bike is all boy as are my shoes and helmet.

flatlander_48
05-31-2011, 03:21 PM
I have to admit that I have thought about riding en femme, but have not so far. One of these days, maybe, but not now. Here in Taiwan, you can essentially ride all year round, typhoons notwithstanding. However, summers are tough. Usually no higher than 95deg, but the humidity is often well above 50%. Very easy to sweat A LOT...

Cristi
05-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I ride about 3,000 miles/year and while I don't go out specifically dressed, I do find that I have adapted a few traditionally female elements into my bike 'kit'.
First, a sports bra (in almost all weather now). It gives me an extra layer in the colder months, and in the Summer relieves the 'nipple chafing' problem I sometimes get with the synthetic fabric shirts.
Secondy, tights. I ride down to 0F (and sometimes even lower!). In those temperatures, a pair of opaque tights under the regular biking tights makes a world of difference. I've even gone out a few times with just bike shorts over opaque tights, since they tend to look like bike tights from a distance anyway.
I've tried biking around (no further than my yard/driveway) in a sundress just to see how it feels. I LOVE the feeling and wish I could dress that way when riding through town!

Rachel Morley
05-31-2011, 09:56 PM
I haven't cycled much recently but this was me a couple of years ago. I'm afraid I don't look very femme :sad: and my "hair" is in a pony tail.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9660/cycling500.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/cycling500.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

RiverdanceGirl
05-31-2011, 10:13 PM
I've cycled underdressed. The feel of the pantyhose on my legs was pretty amazing but now I'm thinking it's time to buy another bike and do it right.

Nina
06-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi again girls

I didn't really want to put pics of me on a bike up as I thought it might put people off but if it helps here I am and yes I know I've got heels on!!

The idea is to get photos of as many different girls as possible on their bikes with a little bit about each person and their experiences cycling dressed. The current issue came out this week so I have a few weeks to put this article together for the next issue which comes out in 4 months.

If you can help please email me a full size pic and something about yourself and your cycling and your bike

nina_tv3@hotmail.com

Thank you

Nina x

Jay Cee
06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
I'll happily send in a pic, Nina, as soon as I find the nerve to go out in public on my bike. Maybe I should paint my new ride a more "gender neutral" colour, if that would help with the illusion.

Good luck with your project!

Marla
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I am a bicycler not a cyclist. They scare me. On a nice cool day I will wear make up and sport bra and boobies. Honestly? I dont think anyone cares. They really just want us to get the hell out of the way! but its a really good time

Asche
06-03-2011, 03:49 AM
I don't know if I count for your survey, since I don't try to present as a woman, but I usually wear a skirt, either with tights and a bodysuit or, if it's hot, knee socks and a T-shirt.

Nina
06-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi again girls I've had a few people email me already which I'm over the moon with but if anyone else wants to e-mail me a photo or two of you cycling and a little bit of text to go with it please do. This should be a wonderful article when finished. Nina xx