PDA

View Full Version : Should I re-tell Doctor about my dysphoria?

Carvery Carly
05-26-2011, 06:28 AM
A while ago, (couple of years) I mentioned to my doctor that I am gender dysphoria. He told me at the time to make a double appointment and he'd go thru it with me. Unfortunately, I never did make another appointment.
The feeling has still been with me, but just recently the feeling has been really strong and with me for longer (I'm usually able to put it at the back of my mind).
Because of this, I was going to make an appointment to go see him and bring the subject up again. (It's on my records.)
I'm 40 yrs old, if that has any bearing on the matter.

I've just found out that the Doc I originally saw is no longer at my practice.
Now do I try and explain my feelings to another doc or just leave things as they are?

BreenaDion
05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Yes Carvery Once bitten your only going to get infected by the bug LOL, sorry bad analogy but you get the point.
Once Dysphoria has made its way to your conscious thought its really hard to surpress it and make a life without it. It takes a strong person to keep that at bay and as I see here alot can't especially me. Psychology speaking you already made the right choice by coming out with it, you know you have to tell your Doctor so just do it. Don't wait because its only going to get worse as you age.

No harm in telling a professional about GID, they are here to help us with our problems, why they became Doctors. Make an appointment and just be yourself . Good Luck .
Breena.

Melody Moore
05-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Once Dysphoria has made its way to your conscious thought its really hard to surpress it and make a life without it. It takes a strong person to keep that at bay and as I see here alot can't especially me. Psychology speaking you already made the right choice by coming out with it, you know you have to tell your Doctor so just do it. Don't wait because its only going to get worse as you age.

Pardon me Breena, but didn't you say once that you have never had GID?

Ah yes, it seems that you did! :daydreaming:

So all you geniuses here why didnt I get GID , why am I missing some thing.

Carly, find yourself a therapist (pyschologist) who deals with gender issues to work through this,
they are there to help you, so don't be scared of talking to them - they are not there to judge
you, only help you work through everything. But Breena is right, it only will get worse with age.

Aprilrain
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I would consider looking up therapist who is versed in gender issues. Also a support group can. Be invaluable especially early on.

Rianna Humble
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Carly, yes you definitely should tell your new GP about suffering from Gender Dysphoria. This is the first step to getting support under the NHS. If you still have any qualms about this, NHS Direct has some good information about trans folk and what support the NHS can offer. You might like to print some of it off and take with you to your GP appointment.

Your age should have no bearing on how your doctor reacts to your dysphoria. I am in my 50s and my GP has been great.

The advice to look around for a TG support group is good too if you don't know where to look the Gender Trust may have some information, but you really do need to talk to your GP and get the ball rolling.

Carvery Carly
05-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Tried making an appointment for this coming Tuesday. Unfortunately, due to another Bank Holiday, they can't release Tuesday appointments until Tuesday morning. So first thing Tuesday, I shall try and make a double appointment, I hope.

Jorja
05-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes you should Carly. Your medical system is a bit different than here in the US. I understand that talking with your GP is the way to start there. Don't let age stop you. We have a girl 93 years young starting to transition in our support group. It's never too late!

Melody Moore
05-26-2011, 08:23 PM
A 78 year old MtF TS Girl has just started hormones & joined our local support group - so I agree, it's never too late.