PDA

View Full Version : PE class

CatAttack
05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
I was just browsing through the CD general forum and saw this thread about going to the gym. This reminded me of a stumbling block up ahead of me..

In order to complete my college degree, I have to take 2 PE classes. But, I have like little developing breasts now that are definitely noticeable.. and they will be even more so by the time that I am actually taking these classes. I'm kind of scared and don't know what to do, specifically like changing and which locker room to use and all that stuff. Does anyone have any insight about this? I was thinking like getting changed before class or something, but that could be really inconvenient/hard to accomplish if I have a tight schedule. bah

Jay Cee
05-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Would you be willing to let the college admin know that you are transitioning? Maybe some allowances could be made as far as your PE classes are concerned. Sorry, I'm up too early to have any ideas past that.

Sally24
05-27-2011, 06:11 AM
You could go two different ways.

Wear loose clothing those days over your gym clothes.

Or wear some of the heavy strength lycra athletic wear. Some of them work similar to the binders that the ftm guys wear.

Also, at least when I was in college in the 70's there were many alternatives to choose from as far as classes that counted as PE.

linda allen
05-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Would you be willing to let the college admin know that you are transitioning? Maybe some allowances could be made as far as your PE classes are concerned. Sorry, I'm up to early to have any ideas past that.

That would be my thought. Unless it's a religious college, then you might have a problem.

I don't know if colleges are legally required to accomodate someone in your position, but I would say they are morally required to.

Of course, many males have the medical condition "gynecomastia" and develop breasts without trying. You could explain it that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecomastia

Aprilrain
05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
I have been going to my gym, where I have been a member for decades, wearing sports bras (have to now) femme tops and bottoms, nothing to tight. I have a pixy hair cut and the hormones have really softened my facial features. I usually have nail polish on and of course my legs are shaved. My friend says I "look like some ones tall ass mom" which is good I guess since I am! I never told anyone at the gym anything I just started showing up that way, what business is it of theirs? I change before I go and they have family (private) restrooms If I need to pee. The other day I checked in and I guess the picture they took years ago comes up on the screen, the young guy working the counter started to say "excuses me, ma'am" because he was obviously confused but the other woman at the desk shushed him I think. She has been there for years and knows my face. I guess its time for a new photo!

Tomara
05-27-2011, 08:51 AM
I would agree that the college probably has a criteria for trans gender people which would certainly be of help to you and like Sally said they probably have oter alternatives for those classes too.
Best of luck to you !
Tomara

JennyA
05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I like the posters idea above. Pretend like, on days when you have PE, you're a FTM transitioning. Use the tricks they do to hide their breasts with binders and such.

CatAttack
05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the ideas all. Yeah, the main concern is just like the changing clothes situation, because with a binder it would be obviously visible when I'm changing.. As for other alternatives, I meant to include them all under PE. There is like dance and stuff too, but all would require changing/locker room use. But yeah, I guess I will have to talk to the school. I don't think they have like private locker rooms though. Maybe they do, and that would be awesome if so. It would just suck having to change in either locker room because I wouldn't fully be male or female [physically] at that point.. I am already pretty androgynous now, so it would be kind of weird.

Jorja
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Work with the college Katty. Most colleges in the US are very good about this.

Vanessa Storrs
05-27-2011, 02:43 PM
There are classes like golf or bowling which do not require changing clothes. You may be able to petition the college to waive the PE requirement.

Hope
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Look into alternatives.

You may be able to take a sports medicine class or something to fulfill a PE requirement.

Look into sports that don't really involve locker-room time. I'm thinking Golf. Some dance classes might work too - I know they did at my university.

Otherwise, like other girls have said, look into talking with the administration about getting an override or some other fair alternative.

Aprilrain
05-28-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm wondering why you can't just go to school in gym clothes? at my school this is close to what most of the kids were wearing on a daily basis anyway (literally I would see kids, mostly girls, in sweat pants, sweat shirts and flip flops or fuzzy slippers even! on a daily basis). You could schedule your classes so you will have time to change at home.

LexiTheGeek
05-28-2011, 01:33 PM
This article talks about what happens when a trans person wants to play on a school team. It should give you some leverage since it's from the NCAA.

http://ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=%2Fncaa%2Fncaa%2Fncaa+ news%2Fncaa+news+online%2F2010%2Fassociation-wide%2Freport+offers+guidance+for+transgender+stud ent-athletes

Another option would be to use a gender neutral bathroom nearby.

AKAMichelle
05-29-2011, 10:53 AM
The only other advice would be to take the classes sooner rather than later. Plus make sure to take the classes when you aren't rushing around.

CatAttack
05-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice, it has been really helpful. I think I may try to take one of the classes over this summer. I could possibly avoid a lot of the hassle by having it be the only class I take during the summer session and thus just go there in gym clothes. The other class though, I don't know yet lol

Stephenie S
05-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I went back to school at 45. They had a gym requirement to graduate. I took dance. I can't say I learned anything, but it was nice. I just wore shorts and a T-shirt.

S

Teri Jean
05-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Catty, the thing I did not see here in the responses was the fact many students don't use the lockerroms but go to their dorms or apts to shower after those classes. I work at a university and trust me if they did use the showers like one would think I would be working 80 hr weeks to keep up with the maintence and the housekeeping would have to double their staff also. Wear some loose clothing and after class run home to shower. Don't sweat it, okay wrong analogy, but you get the drift. Wish you the best.

Teri

Jessinthesprings
05-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Perhaps you could just transition... that is why you are taking hormones right? I went to college with another transexual and she was very well recived. Oddly enough had many more friends after transiting. If changing in the women's locke rroom is a problem the college should (and has to in some states) help accomidate this issue. If nothing else gving you time to change at your dorm/house.

Nicole Erin
05-30-2011, 02:28 AM
There are classes like golf or bowling which do not require changing clothes. You may be able to petition the college to waive the PE requirement.
Golf and bowling don't even require much physical movement, let alone special clothes.

nikkijo
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
THERE ARE HEATH and other classes that can be taken on line that fullfill the pe requirement.... my sister in law took 3 pe cources via computer..... never had to once set foot on campus even.

SherriePall
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Something I was going to suggest has been mentioned -- golf and bowling. These two fell under co-ed sports and didn't require any changing or showering. There must be other co-ed sports available depending on the size of your school. Good luck.

Karren H
05-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Take archery or bowling or intro to golf... None should require you to take you clothes off.... Unless you want to! Lol.

Jorja
05-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Hmmmmmmm, now there is an idea, co-ed naked archery.